So I want to start taking vocal lessons, I've never had any formal training, but ever since I started playing guitar I wanted to start to get serious with singing as well.

The problem I am having right now is that in the local area, there are several coaches, and I don't know how to tell if one is good or bad. The rates are around $1 minute for 30 min or 60 min, so I want to make sure I'm choosing the best teacher, but since I have no formal experience, I don't really know how to tell o_O

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I just hope the cost is worth it >.<
It's like any teacher really, there's good ones and bad ones. You should try to be strong and go to a couple.

My first singing teacher wasn't all that great really. He was trying to get me to learn these traditional songs from the 40s and such and whilst I did try my hardest, it didn't really help me with learning contemporary music (which is what I listen to/like to learn).

Next someone referred me to another singing teacher. She picks out contemporary songs, it started with beginner ones, and combined them with exercises. Each song was designed to push a different technique I had onto the next level. A great benefit was that because I was learning contemporary songs, I would actually gain a song I could perform at gigs, and learn techniques that I could apply to other contemporary songs, as well as my own.

So I guess the most important thing for me is that they teach you the style of music you want to learn.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Or for a different perspective, I would say that "good technique is good technique." Find someone to teach you that. If you learn good technique, you can apply it to nearly any style of music.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Or for a different perspective, I would say that "good technique is good technique." Find someone to teach you that. If you learn good technique, you can apply it to nearly any style of music.

CT

Maybe my first was just a bad teacher in general
Soundcloud
I learned from a classical teacher. Best money I've spent in a long time as for as music goes.
Thanks for the responses. I'm wondering how much did you guys pay for your lessons? Is $60/hr reasonable? Seems pricey, but I'm unfamiliar with the market..
I got lucky. I only paid $20 for a half-hour. Brian Vollmer from Helix, who teaches the same technique charges the same, which is a total bargain. I charge $17.

However, there is a huge range. Some singing teachers in many major cities charge $60 and even well beyond.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
In Australia, for all private musical lessons, $25-$30 per half hour is the standard.
Soundcloud
yeah I payed 30 for a half hour with a really good SLS-ish teacher in Aus, though most of the time I got 50 mins-an hour without any extra cost.

60 for an hour in USD is a bit much but not too bad I suppose, just make sure it's worth it to you.
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Jun 23, 2010,