I was wondering if it is better to get 10-46 or 10-52 or maybe 11 gauge strings. I want something that wont sound muddy in low chords but can be bent easily on high notes. Mostly just for metal/ hard rock type stuff. any ideas?
ok. are heavier guages on the bottom less muddy or would it not really make a difference. i dont wanna have to set up stuff on my guitar too.. :/
the gauge on the bottom changes how tight you need to tune the string. the heavier it is, the less you'll have to tighten it. when you use a light string on the bottom, it has to be tuned really loose to get the really low notes, and this makes mud.

if you go with 11s, your lows will be better. bends will be tougher, but being able to bend with a higher gauge will help strengthen your chops.
Thicker strings aren't really less muddy, but they'll stay tight lower. I personally like to go about 10-52, just for the feel of the strings. Its mostly important to have thicker strings if your tuning your guitar down, like way down. If your just doing standard and maybe a little drop D you could manage with 10-46, but like I said, I prefer 10-52 because theres more string tension and it lets you dig into the strings more, hit 'em a little harder. 11 would be a little harder to bend on, and thats getting more towards an acoustic guitar, electrics in standard generally use either 9's or 10's.
Bigger strings give your more tightness and beef. I go 12-56, in C standard. Sounds pretty heavy, and is definitely not flubby (could be the solid state amp too).

You could even get a wound 3rd, for even more beefcake chords
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
kk
Quote by Ratraisin
Do you really kill hobos? Man, that's some bad karma...

THE ORIGINAL HOBO SLAYER
^ Now cool and groovy
ok
Quote by Ratraisin
Do you really kill hobos? Man, that's some bad karma...

THE ORIGINAL HOBO SLAYER
^ Now cool and groovy