Page 1 of 3
Ok so I just got my credit card activated and was ready to order my kit from guitar fetish, then I found a problem. I was going to order a power rails pickup for the bridge, but they're on backorder. So here's my list of things to do for the project:

1. deem a suitable replacement pickup, or wait until I can order a power rails
2. actually order everything
3. painting (should probably take up a few steps, but whatever)
4. locating an operational soldering iron
5. assembly of guitar hardware
6. finding out whether or not my handy work was work anything or not

I figured I could go ahead and get this thread set up for the project! If there are any questions or comments on anything, fire away! (especially about the pickup)

EDIT: And of course, there shall be all the pics that I can manage to take.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Last edited by Blbmbr666 at Jun 21, 2010,
You can get a soldering iron at like radio shack or something like that. Most hardware stores carry them. Perhaps you could find a power rails on ebay? Good luck!!
Why are you charging this?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
@salgala2000

I'm going with spray paint. I don't personally have a high pressure paint sprayer, I was going to try just using cans but a neighbor does own a paint gun which he would let me use. I'm going with metallic silver and either dark green or John Deere green (to save me from buying more paint, we have plenty laying around) pinstripes for the paint. And yes on the pots the kit says it comes with everything needed.

@Dio10101

Thanks! I was thinking about just going for a Dimarzio X2N instead, although I suppose I could drop onto ebay and snoop around a bit.

@TunerAddict

To build credit. It's going to get paid off immediately.

EDIT: I decided I rather not pay for a different pickup I might mess up since this is my first build, so just gonna go with whatever comes with the kit. And as of a few minutes ago, the kit is officially ordered. This build has officially started! Kinda...
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Last edited by Blbmbr666 at Jun 21, 2010,
I know you have decided to just go with the pickups that come with, however...

I would like to suggest the Crunchy Rails over the Power Rails.

Quoting GFS:
The Crunchy Rails are tighter, more focused versions of our Power Rails- and work the best with a good FAT amplifier. Through a Soldano, VHT or Triple Recto they’re just amazing!

I really like the way the CR sounds through my two heavy tube amps. Not so much through SS amps as they tend to behave like EMGs.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
I know you have decided to just go with the pickups that come with, however...

I would like to suggest the Crunchy Rails over the Power Rails.

Quoting GFS:
The Crunchy Rails are tighter, more focused versions of our Power Rails- and work the best with a good FAT amplifier. Through a Soldano, VHT or Triple Recto they’re just amazing!

I really like the way the CR sounds through my two heavy tube amps. Not so much through SS amps as they tend to behave like EMGs.

I emailed GFS, and if I can put in a backorder for a Power Rails and still get it within a reasonable time frame I'll probably still get it. The generic pickups were only a last resort that I was hoping I wouldn't have to go with.

NOTE: I AM only planning on swapping out the bridge pickup, should I just go ahead and switch both out?

EDIT: The Crunchy Rails were also on backorder unfortunately, so if I could get either that would be awesome.
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by iampeter
gl on the build, i wanted to try the flying V set

Thanks! This is my first build so I'm not sure how it's gonna turn out... Hopefully awesome!

And both the kit and a Crunchy Rails pickup are due on Thursday from the brown truck. Too bad I work 8-5 then have something after work. But I'll get some general opening the box pics up sometime this weekend, working around my band's show in Kentucky!
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by Blbmbr666
I emailed GFS, and if I can put in a backorder for a Power Rails and still get it within a reasonable time frame I'll probably still get it. The generic pickups were only a last resort that I was hoping I wouldn't have to go with.

NOTE: I AM only planning on swapping out the bridge pickup, should I just go ahead and switch both out?

EDIT: The Crunchy Rails were also on backorder unfortunately, so if I could get either that would be awesome.

The order thing is there for the black ones. Maybe they're only back ordered in a specific color?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I built a kit, if the wood looks half decent in quality and the neck plays ok once its been set up you'll probably want to start replacing the hardware, most kits come with dire hardware thats cheap as chips.
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Quote by Casually_Spoken
I built a kit, if the wood looks half decent in quality and the neck plays ok once its been set up you'll probably want to start replacing the hardware, most kits come with dire hardware thats cheap as chips.

Which hardware exactly were you talking about? As in everything including the pots? Or just like tuners and knobs?
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
He probably means anything made of die cast metal(tuners, bridge, tailpiece, trem, etc) and pots and switches and the nut. But that is just what I would guess.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Tuners are a must, the ones I have are shocking, The bridge could do to be changed as well as it'll affect sustain and tuning stability. Those would be my first things to change

The pots etc are fine, the wiring is fine too (easy to assemble) it's just the pickups that could do with swapping.

Hope that helps
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Alright I'll def get some new tuners and bridge for sure then, probably new knobs to match...

Got paint for the main part of the body today, gonna do a test paint with it. Anyone interested to see what it looks like? I can post a pic of the test.

And everything is supposed to arrive tomorrow! As long as my dad can snag the UPS truck in the afternoon...
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
If you're wanting the Power Rails they're off back order. I just ordered some myself. Watch out for the shield wire though, mine broke off. I was rather upset.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
If you're wanting the Power Rails they're off back order. I just ordered some myself. Watch out for the shield wire though, mine broke off. I was rather upset.

I'm impatient so I already ordered a Crunchy Rails lol. That sucks man, hope you can still get it working! (has no idea what a shield wire is... )
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Ok so here I am with crappy cell phone pics!

Right after opening the box.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0624001836.jpg

With the Crunchy Rails and default neck pickup. I have no idea why they sent white ones...
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0624001849.jpg

Ok so I really hated this headstock...
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0624001849a.jpg

So I changed it a bit. Can you guess what headstock this is based off of?
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0624002046.jpg

And new headstock with body. I'm pretty happy about how it looks!
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0624002123a.jpg

Just one question, should the part of the fretboard that runs past the heel be flush with the body? Mine has about 1/4 of an inch between it and the body.
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
As a GFS aficionado, I say this:

Go for the power rails, I have them they are seriously good. And as for the back order, you could always get white ones and paint them. I recommend using alloy wheel paint as it is chip resistant.

As for the whole kit idea, Half the hardware is 'inferior' non-GFS stuff according to them, so you may as well get a ready painted body and ready done neck as necks are a major pain in the crack to finish. With a ready painted body, you can merely rub down the surface and spray new paint instead of the whole rubbing, sealing, sanding you'd have to do. It might cost a little more, but it'll save some time, although it does have a floyd not a TOM.

my 2c

EDIT: I see I was too late
Last edited by mcconnachiea at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Blbmbr666

They have the headstock like that so that you can alter it.
also, your headstock is very ibanez. looks alot like mine.
Good luck with the build.
In a crooked little town,
They were lost and never found.
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves,
On the ground.
Quote by Dio10101
You can get a soldering iron at like radio shack or something like that. Most hardware stores carry them. Perhaps you could find a power rails on ebay? Good luck!!

I disreccomend this.
In all my experiences(1) with a RadioShack soldering iron, absolute shit.
Get a better one that Rdioshack. You'll be kicking yourself in the teeth. Also, try to find Lead solder, it's way easier to work with. Don't worry about the fumes and stuff, doing it as a hobby will have little or no effect. Once, I doubt there would be an effect, unless that person has a health issue.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by joelJURASSIC
They have the headstock like that so that you can alter it.
also, your headstock is very ibanez. looks alot like mine.
Good luck with the build.

Yeah I figured they left it for altercations, but I thought it would be hilarious if someone actually left it like that haha.

And yes, Ibanez to the point where I laid my RG down beside it and basically traced the shape!

As for a soldering iron, my dad seems to think we have one that might work laying around somewhere. Guess I'll look once I'm done with paint!
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
r like a completely oversized one, like a tennis racquet.
that would be crazy.
In a crooked little town,
They were lost and never found.
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves,
On the ground.
Hey guys I'm currently wet sanding after two coats of primer. Two questions:

1. Would sanding to 600 grit be fine for the primer? Or should I use the 1500 I have too?

2. In a couple spots the primer got sanded kinda thin, is that going to be ok for painting? Like here :http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/0627002052.jpg

Front after 600 grit:
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/0627002052a.jpg

Back after 600 grit:
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/0627002052b.jpg

Right after I stopped spraying primer on:
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0625001456.jpg

As always comments are appreciated.
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Last edited by Blbmbr666 at Jun 27, 2010,
black? oh well, I personally find black guitars a little boring, but it is yours, so keep it going
I can't wait to see it finished
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
Last edited by DarkLordArthur at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by DarkLordArthur
black? oh well, I personally find black guitars a little boring, but it is yours, so keep it going
I can't wait to see it finished

That's the primer bro...

Just finished painting the base color, and wow I think the metallic silver looks great. Tomorrow night I'm gonna try to tape up some pinstripes, and then Wednesday hopefully paint the pinstripes on! Pics tomorrow of how the silver looks, it's too dark here to get good ones right now.

Oh and today after work I went and ordered some Sperzel locking tuners for this thing! Lol in the event the guitar doesn't turn out very well, I'll probably transplant them to my Ibanez...
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Ok so some bad news...

Tonight I was trying to tape off the areas for the pinstripes, and some paint chipped off. I'm going to try and fix the areas by applying a lot more coats of the paint with wet sanding in between, and if that doesn't work I guess I'm sanding all the way back down...
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by Blbmbr666
Ok so some bad news...

Tonight I was trying to tape off the areas for the pinstripes, and some paint chipped off. I'm going to try and fix the areas by applying a lot more coats of the paint with wet sanding in between, and if that doesn't work I guess I'm sanding all the way back down...

You could try the old super glue trick. Look it up on stew mac
Quote by mcconnachiea
You could try the old super glue trick. Look it up on stew mac

Could you be a little more specific? Lol I think I found something to the effect you mean but it was using a stain with super glue over it. I don't think they make metallic silver stains do they? If so that would be awesome!
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by Blbmbr666
Could you be a little more specific? Lol I think I found something to the effect you mean but it was using a stain with super glue over it. I don't think they make metallic silver stains do they? If so that would be awesome!

Like I said, look it up on stew mac.

Its to repair the chips in the finish.
Quote by Blbmbr666

Unless the chip is excessively deep or very large, the superglue trick should work very well.
Quote by Limaj_daas
Unless the chip is excessively deep or very large, the superglue trick should work very well.

Thanks man lol. Now I feel like 'that' person that makes a thread...

Good news! Sperzels came in today, and I have more paint. So now it's the long process of painting correctly haha.
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Ok guys sorry it's been a little bit since I've updated, but I'm back with pics!

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/downsized_0705001714.jpg
Word.

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/Blbmbr666/Guitar%20Project/0705001714a.jpg
Metal flake is awesome!

Ok now just one question, hopefully someone can help with this... What would help reduce the amount of damage done to the paint when I tape off for pinstripes and whatnot? Could I just put a light coat of clear on it?
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Painter's tape doesn't usually do damage, idk
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Lol I guess I'm just going to have to go get some literal painters tape then tomorrow on my lunch break. That's what I get for being lazy and trying to just use very weak tape that's laying around the house...
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Very neat pinstripes. Although not too fond of the green, it looks nice. Might have to order a kit from them sometime.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Is it just the camera or is there still wood showing through the coat of white? :\
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Page 1 of 3