Ever since i've heard about them i've always wondered what locking tuners were. Obviously i know it holds tuning better than non-locking tuners. but the basis of replacing strings... is it the same procedure?
same procedure, only after you tread the string through the tuner, you tighten it. Basically the hole in the tuner through which you put the string closes up when you turn the screw which locks the string in place.
you barely have to wind the strings when you put them on. you just put the string through, lock the tuner, cut the excess then tune it. im not sure because i've never owned a guitar with them, but i know that it involves less string winding and less stretching strings
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It makes life 10X easier when string changing. There's a little piston in the hole that comes up and clamps the string in place.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Actually, I am pretty sure locking tuners do not hold tuning better, they just make stringing easier.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Actually, I am pretty sure locking tuners do not hold tuning better, they just make stringing easier.

They do make tuning stability a tad better, but only because there are less string winds that can bind against one another and possibly give a little bit if that makes sense. It's why a lot of guys like to have them on tremolo-equipped guitars like strats that don't have a locking nut.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
^ they dont on my gibson, but i think they're supossed to, as to why they are used on guitars with double locking trems that dont have locking nut, like my freind's shred x plorer
Eh.
Its already been said, but they lock the string in place so they don't slip out of tune. However, if you know how to properly string a guitar, then you don't need locking tuners. The properly strung guitar will hold tuning just as well.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Himelnator
^ they dont on my gibson, but i think they're supossed to, as to why they are used on guitars with double locking trems that dont have locking nut, like my freind's shred x plorer

Can't be a double locking trem if it doesn't have a locking nut. A double locking trem locks at the bridge and nut. Single locking just locks at the bridge.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
If you get big heavy Gotoh-style locking tuners they also add mass/sustain and will make your headstock dive.
I have locking tuners on my Douglas, while they do hold tune just fine its not really any better than the stock ones. I have the stock Douglas ones on my ST30 and it stays in tune forever lol.

However. Its easier to break strings with locking tuners because of when it locks it makes the string weaker at that point.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ