Page 1 of 3
now there are some unique guitarists that have some crazy playing styles out there. this thread doesn't apply to any particular genre or anything, but i think some metal guitarists out there are crazy. the late but great, Dimebag Darrel, i find to be very original in his riffs. what else ya got UG
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
John 5

This dude plays metal and bluegrass.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Les claypool needs to be on this list. John5 also
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Kevin Smith
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
nick jonas
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
I'm quite fond of Mikko Lindestrom from the band HIM. Yeah, I know! He has a heavily improv-based style (when the band allows..) which I can't compare to any other guitarists off the top of my head.
Quote by ColbyHink
Daron Malakian

lol yea funny thing, hes my best friends 1st cousin.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Applying the word 'unique' to guitarists of only one genre isn't that good.
You could say the guys from Opeth has they have different styles and rhythms in their music.
I'd like to hear why people chose the guitarists they chose, instead of listing a few names and leaving it at that.

Andy LaRocque. The guys bends are unbelievable, and his riffs ooze epicness. The leads the man plays are melodic, clean and precise, but not to the point where it just becomes annoying. Each of his solos is a joy to listen to, and you can hear thought has gone into each note he plays. Massively under-rated.
Quote by stratdud39
what's happened to the metal forum?!

Calm down, the regulars are trolls, and the rest will never post here again.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Kevin Spacey
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Trey Azagthoth,no one can touch him.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by ctb
Applying the word 'unique' to guitarists of only one genre isn't that good.
You could say the guys from Opeth has they have different styles and rhythms in their music.

dude, i said DONT worry about genres
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by TMF128
John 5

This dude plays metal and bluegrass.

DAMMIT

You beat me to it!
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by lights bane
I'd like to hear why people chose the guitarists they chose, instead of listing a few names and leaving it at that.

Andy LaRocque. The guys bends are unbelievable, and his riffs ooze epicness. The leads the man plays are melodic, clean and precise, but not to the point where it just becomes annoying. Each of his solos is a joy to listen to, and you can hear thought has gone into each note he plays. Massively under-rated.

I wouldn't say he's particularly unique though. He plays a fairly standard style of metal soloing, he's just better at it than most people.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Oddsbodkins
I wouldn't say he's particularly unique though. He plays a fairly standard style of metal soloing, he's just better at it than most people.

I'd say it was somewhat unique back in the 80s as it was more complex than most other non-neoclassical solos.

Death - Trapped In A Corner is one of the best non-necrophagist-solos I've heard (Andy LaRocque and Chuck Schuldiner)

Kai Hansen perhaps, but he played so badly live it was uncanny.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Riffmast
Trey Azagthoth,no one can touch him.

Bingo.

Quote by lights bane

Also very true. One of my favourite guitarists ever too.

Id like to add Piggy from Voivod as well. Brought a crazy new way of playing to thrash, by introducing those weird-ass chords and solos. Before Voivod there was nothing that sounded so alien, (prove me wrong by all means!) and his influence can be felt in Vektor, Order From Chaos, Massacra, Akercocke....etc.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Oh man the Voivod influence in OFC is unbelievable,they took it to a whole new level but still.Their a big reason im proud to be Canadian.
Quote by Steve08

you all saw this coming but... LEVASSEUR!

Show me another guitarist who can recreate his solos.

also Luc Lemay, and Horror Illogium & Aphotic deserve mention as well, since they pretty much define "unique playing"
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I'm quite fond of Mikko Lindestrom from the band HIM. Yeah, I know! He has a heavily improv-based style (when the band allows..) which I can't compare to any other guitarists off the top of my head.

Oh, you mean like EVERY jazz guitarist EVER?
Quote by Nexium
For a 10'er you certainly have found a good avatar.
Quote by romencer17
you all saw this coming but... LEVASSEUR!

Show me another guitarist who can recreate his solos.

also Luc Lemay, and Horror Illogium & Aphotic deserve mention as well, since they pretty much define "unique playing"

+90000

Levasseur played the perfect mix of melodic but out of the box playing and Luc Lemay is the most accomplished guitarist ever,his style is insane,no one will ever be able to come close to Gorguts.
Quote by Steve08

Piggy was a crazy guitarist, as well as the remaining jonas brother in spawn of possession and the asian guy in gridlink
Marty Friedman
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
i find the lack of Fredrik Thordendal fellation in this thread deisturbing. both him and Morten from meshuggah sound like no one else.

OMNOMNOMNOMNOM GUITAR!!!
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Trey Azagthoth

I'm not one to jump on peoples dicks, but his riffs are just mindblowingly original

Listen to

Blessed Are The Sick
Where The Slime Live
Dawn Of The Angry
Stricken Arise
Immortal Rites

That is some sweet riffage right there
Page 1 of 3