Hey ive been playing guitar for about 4 - 5 years now. im pretty good, i got 2 decent guitars, but my amps have never been anything great. Im joining a band with my cousin sometime soon. They aparently label themselves as a hardcore band, except heavier. Im going to be playing through and esp ltd vyper with emg's, probably in drop c. They have a relativly loud drummer, and there other guitarist has a 100 watt marshall stack of some sort. I need something that can compete, for a good price. I have always been i fan of tube amps because i love the sound, so if I can still stick with one i would perfer too. I also play a lot of other music..all rock basicly,[lots of nirvana] so i want it to be versatile. As cheap as possible, withoutt sarcaficing quality. im looking to drop around 300..i know its a tight budget. but just tell me what im working with. thanks guys
To COMPETE with marshal stack..i gotta be loud enough to play rythm at a show. dont bust my balls i know im not getting too much lol. im also more than willing to go used
300... dollars?

I'll be insanely jealous of you if you get a tube stack for 300 dollars. That would easily run you 1,000+
I understand. btw i said he had a 100 watt marshall stack. i believe its a solid state. im saying i want a tube that can play rythm beside it...
Dude, look on craigslist for a used line 6 spider 3 half stack. prob will cost more than 300 but i've seen people selling heads where i live for like 200 bucks, and then you can get any cab to play through it. if you're playing rythm they have the cheap foot switches. if you want a stack, you're not going to get much for 300 bucks. sorry to say, but you could always get a crappy crate half stack for like 599 and then get a bad ass distortion pedal. lots of companies have cheap stacks. musicians friend has awesome deals and free shipping over 99 bucks.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RH-and-RX412-Half-Stack?sku=481735 try this. even comes with a foot switch.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/stacks check this link. they range from 499-800 for decent ones. i'd save up some more money, you'll regret buying something seriously cheap.
If he has a solid state 100w that's turned up loud, a 50w tube amp could easily compete with that.

But you still can't get a 50w tube amp for $300, even used you'll struggle to find something decent.

Can you save more money?

EDIT: Whatever you do don't get a Line 6 Spider III, or Spider of any kind. I'm confused as to why someone would reccomend that you buy one of those, especially as an upgrade.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Last edited by FuzzLove at Jun 21, 2010,
also remember i said perferably. i just want to explore all options, so people could answer me telling me where i can go with what kinda budget with a tube, or if im gonna have to switch to solid state. im not too smart in the whole amp field..obviously. thats why i love these forums lol
I could. but i wouldnt wanna spend too too much more. maybe 450. Also may i ask if your familiar with any brands that make good tubes for the price. i was lookin at peaveys
1) he can definitely turn his down
2) i have a feeling its an MG stack
3) youre gonna need a lot more than 300 for a decent tube amp.
4) get yourself a combo, you dont need a stack if he does number 1.
Quote by xNIHILISMx
I could. but i wouldnt wanna spend too too much more. maybe 450. Also may i ask if your familiar with any brands that make good tubes for the price. i was lookin at peaveys

You could probably find a peavey windsor halfstack or a bugera v55hd + cab for around that. Not saying those would even work for you, they're just the only two loud halfstacks I can think of. Look into them if you NEED to get a tube halfstack for that price.
you're not gonna find any tube amp capable of modern metal for 300 dollars, maybe a peavey ultra but considering how rare they are its a long shot. get a line 6 flextone used
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Arterial

2) i have a feeling its an MG stack

As do I
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
If i do not get a tube. what amp can i get that will compete with a 100watt marshal stack? i was told he keeps it at about 5 in practice and cranks it a little more at shows.
To be quite frank, your best option is to commit to saving up more. Try $550-700 and come back. For that you can get a decent tube combo like a Randall RG50TC.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by xNIHILISMx
If i do not get a tube. what amp can i get that will compete with a 100watt marshal stack? i was told he keeps it at about 5 in practice and cranks it a little more at shows.

you should probably get the same stack he has.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
find a used Blue Voodoo. Nothing else in that price range is worth any amount of money you drop on it.
Quote by xNIHILISMx

Don't make the "100watt marshal stack" out to be so great.
It's very likely a Marshall MG, which contrary to what marketing may tell you, does not sound all that much like a Marshall.

Furthermore, it won't be a tube amp, meaning it wouldn't be all that difficult to keep up with.
That said, I kept up just fine at gigs using a 40W tube combo amp, when the other guy had 100W halfstack. Not all that different in volume.

I would maybe save up a bit more, and keep your eye out for any of these amps on your local craigslist:
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40, Traynor YCV50 Blue (actually sounds rather Marshally)
Line 6 Flextone III (one of my favorite modeling amps. Good tone)
Kustom Coupe 36
Peavey Valveking
I have a 120W solid state and every tube amp (combo or otherwise) that was in excess of 15W was easily able to compete, you just had to have the volume up a little more. Playing dynamics were much better too.

Seriously 100 watts SS is nothing. If he does by chance have something like 100 watts tube, just make him turn it down.

Just curious, you don't know by chance if the drummer mics his kit or not?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't make the "100watt marshal stack" out to be so great.
It's very likely a Marshall MG, which contrary to what marketing may tell you, does not sound all that much like a Marshall.

Furthermore, it won't be a tube amp, meaning it wouldn't be all that difficult to keep up with.
That said, I kept up just fine at gigs using a 40W tube combo amp, when the other guy had 100W halfstack. Not all that different in volume.

I would maybe save up a bit more, and keep your eye out for any of these amps on your local craigslist:
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40, Traynor YCV50 Blue (actually sounds rather Marshally)
Line 6 Flextone III (one of my favorite modeling amps. Good tone)
Kustom Coupe 36
Peavey Valveking

You guys were all correct. He does have an mg :]. haha. but he has the full stack. could a 40watt tube still keep up? i heard he ranges from 5-7 volume wise
A 40watt tube amp will blow a 100w MG out of the water.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Easily could keep up, without going over 3, provided you set your EQ right.

I found a peavey classic 30 in my state on craigstlist for 400! If your sure ill be able to keep up with the mg full stack. i am completely satisified. thank you.
Last edited by xNIHILISMx at Jun 21, 2010,
save and get the 50 watt Jet City head.

Imo the Classic 30 sounds too thin and feeble, especially when you start turning it up loud. So I'm not sure how well it'll fit for your style of music... But tahts just me.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Hey ive been playing guitar for about 4 - 5 years now. im pretty good, i got 2 decent guitars, but my amps have never been anything great. Im joining a band with my cousin sometime soon. They aparently label themselves as a hardcore band, except heavier. Im going to be playing through and esp ltd vyper with emg's, probably in drop c. They have a relativly loud drummer, and there other guitarist has a 100 watt marshall stack of some sort. I need something that can compete, for a good price. I have always been i fan of tube amps because i love the sound, so if I can still stick with one i would perfer too. I also play a lot of other music..all rock basicly,[lots of nirvana] so i want it to be versatile. As cheap as possible, withoutt sarcaficing quality. im looking to drop around 300..i know its a tight budget. but just tell me what im working with. thanks guys

lol. not happening. Also, you do not need 100 watts by any means. I would take a look at a used Laney if anything. They tend to drop in price pretty significantly. I doubt you will find one though. Also, you don't need a stack, because then you need to pay for a cab. The cab alone will cost more than $300. look for a combo.

Quote by FuzzLove

EDIT: Whatever you do don't get a Line 6 Spider III, or Spider of any kind. I'm confused as to why someone would reccomend that you buy one of those, especially as an upgrade.

Because the spidervalve is a really good mid-end amp. That's the one he was referring to.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by al112987
save and get the 50 watt Jet City head.

Imo the Classic 30 sounds too thin and feeble, especially when you start turning it up loud. So I'm not sure how well it'll fit for your style of music... But tahts just me.

yea. i know what your saying. But i think i may plan on looking up on some pedals..see what works best for me
Cmon ug get your head out of your ass.
Peavey vtm 60
Peavey ultra 60
Ampeg vh140c
There are plenty more I just am lazy. And these amps are not only great for the money, they are good amps that compete with amps 5x their price.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
^still would need a cab, for the most commonly found versions of those amps, the heads, that is. I think the ampeg and Ultra come in combos anyway...the VTM doesn't, and is pretty darned rare in any case.

did people on here even rec VTMs before I got one?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 21, 2010,
I see vtm 60s for like 200 average, same with the bare ultra 60. With his statement saying he can stretch a little, he could pick up a decent 212 and crush the mg
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
peavey windsor? not very versatile but very good for turning all the way up and crushing things.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer