Hey this is my first post on UG. I've been lurking this site for years though, haha.
Anyways, I'm currently debating on which of these 2 guitars to buy:

ESP LTD Viper-300FM - $579.00
and
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000 - $749.00

I know the deluxe version has some added features but I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra money for it.

If anyone that has experience with these deluxe/non deluxe versions could help me out, I would really appreciate it.
If you're ok with used you could probably get a used 1000 for less than a new 300. Locking tuners, Tonepros, earvana nut, after that I think it's mostly cosmetic. Maybe different finishes and Abalone. For the money I wouldn't say a new 1000 is a necessity but a used one could be had for about the same as a used 400.
the deluxe has abalone binding on the neck and headstock which i'm not really a fan of IMO

the viper-300FM has a standard nut, and the viper 1000 deluxe has an earvana nut which i find very useful for intonation
They both have active humbuckers EMG 81 (bridge) and EMG 85 (neck). they both have flamed maple tops with mahogany bodies, they both have 24 XJ frets with a 24 3/4 scale length.
the viper-300FM has esp tuners while the viper-1000 has esp LOCKING tuners
I've never had any experience with the Locking tuners or tonepros. If it's anything like a floyd rose bridge though, I definitely wouldn't want it. I like to change tunings a lot and it was the biggest pain in the ass for me to tune when I used to have a guitar with a floyd rose on it.
I like the V-301 with the natural finish the most.

but the 1000s are more prestigious and will hold their value much better than a 300
I'd say go with it.

Wasn't there a 401 version of these awhile back? They are essentially the same with as a 1000, but with less cosmetic things, I believe.

Try to find one of them used.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'd say go with it.

Wasn't there a 401 version of these awhile back? They are essentially the same with as a 1000, but with less cosmetic things, I believe.

Try to find one of them used.

the non deluxe models are all at 3xx numbering. i think it was a way to see where the guitar was made because i saw a 3xx model say made in china on a picture on forum(http://www.musik-schmidt.de/images/product_images/original_images/ESP-LTD-H-351-NT-STBLK_3.jpg ). so maybe the 3xx model is to show its not made in indonesia anymore

what disappoints me is that even top level non deluxe now is missing the earvanna(its like $30 retail) and its been cut to reduce cost on the standard LTD models.

but i will go with my normal choice, non floyd = buy Deluxe 1k models only, floyd you can make by with a standard LTD or higher.

buy a used Viper 1k or 400 model or buy a new viper deluxe
Last edited by iampeter at Jun 23, 2010,