Hi All

So recently me and the mrs brought a nice new big ass house... So I now have a dedicated guitar/computer room (its sweet)

Anyway... So im after a few ideas/suggestions as to what to get to meet some of my basic demands...

Here are my needs:

1. Drums... I can play drums but dont currently have a kit and it wouldnt fit I dont think anyway... So I was thinking about getting a Keyboard (I also play piano) and using the drums on that to record drum tracks to jam along to... But then I was thinking? What about just using my computer for this?

So basically what Im after is some recommended software that is basically a drum machine? Where I can with the keyboard (computer keyboard lol) basically play out a drum track. Save it and then play it back loud as through my stereo?

2. Guitar Modeling Software... Ive been hearing around the place that there is some cool modelling software out there now a days that can replicate (to a certain degree) many different amps/cabs/effects etc when recording?

Any recommendations for sweet modelling software?

Thats about all I can think of at the moment... Although Im sure to have other questions later.

Thanks
i have heard amplitube is an ok software. i have never used it or anything so no one flame me if its shit.......
Quote by Stildawn

2. Guitar Modeling Software..

In my opinion, you only have 2 choices -- Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 4.

I use Guitar Rig 4, and have tried the Amplitube 3 demo. Both do the same thing, just slightly differently.

If you want to hear the sounds they can do check out my recordings on my profile.
Its expensive but when you realize it comes with 20+ differnt amps and 500 presents (most of which are modeled of real tones such as Clapton, Hetfield, Gilmour) + infinite combinations for sounds it really is a small price.
You don't need a guitar amp, period. I had a crappy one and have thrown it out. I only use Guitar Rig.

EDIT- About a drum Machine -- EZDrummer-- all my recordings also use that, if you want to take a listen. Its pretty awesome. But its a plugin, not a standalone program. Meaning you need other software to run it. A mixing program such as Logic Studio.
As far as a standalone drum program, I really don't know.
Last edited by JJ2003 at Jun 21, 2010,
Ah ok.. Ill check them out cheers...

Do they require any hardware? Or are they just software based?
Quote by Stildawn
Ah ok.. Ill check them out cheers...

Do they require any hardware? Or are they just software based?

Just a guitar cable into your microphone jack on the computer for Guitar Rig.
You need the adapter to go from the fat headphone (guitar cable) to the smaller one that fits into the microphone jack - for the life of me I cant remember the dimensions, but I hope that made it clear enough. You can get them for $2 at any audio/tech place.
Oh yeah I got one of them...

Reading some stuff on EZdrummer... It says its a plug in like you said... What audio software would you recommend to go with it? I have Adobe Audition but I dont think its supported?
i bought a retail pack (not download) version of EZdrummer, and it came with toontrack solo, so it can be used as a stand alone program.

Edit - for recording tho i use it with reaper.

for guitars if your not super picky with every nuance of your tone, a Line 6 UX1 would be a cheap way to go.
Last edited by rgoring at Jun 22, 2010,
Ah ok... Ill give toontrack solo combined with EZdrummer a look tonight when I get home.

Guitar Rig 4 works mint (I might need to buy a interface but yeah) Although... Is there any one out there that actually has actual amp names etc?
Hi All

Ok ive downloaded toontrack solo, and EZDrummer is now working mint. Can someone tell me how to make my PC keyboard work the drums?

Thanks
This is where it gets complicated....

You need to see firstly if your keyboard has a midi output. If it does you need to get an interface that has recording inputs and a midi input such as the Edirol UA-25. These interfaces are a good investment anyway as the quality of the recording inputs are much better than a PC sound card.

You then have to run a cable from the midi output from the keyboard into the midi input on your interface and program the drum application to use the keyboard as a midi input.

Lastly I believe you simply record a drum track on the channel you have allocated as the drum track.

Also you may want to check out a drum program called addictive drums. Amazing piece of software and very realistic sounding.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Stildawn
Lol a PC Keyboard not an actual piano keyboard lol.

There's software that lets you play your PC keyboard like a MIDI keyboard and send MIDI signals to anywhere you wish (like a recording program, software synthesizer or even hardware synthesizer). I don't know what it's called though.

Anyways, I'd say you really should get Reaper (I think it's free to use for personal use... i.e. no selling your music until you've bought it ) and use EZDrummer and GuitarRig in there as plug ins.

Personally I have GuitarRig3 and am very fond of it. Plus you'll get a hang of the amp names after a short while, because they really resemble the real amps they model very in both looks and name. I don't have EZDrummer yet, but I'll eventually get it this autumn together with Guitar Pro 6. I use them as plug ins to Cubase 4LE which came along with my audio interface. I think it does about the same (or less) as Reaper, but for me it's enough.
Quote by Stildawn
Hi All

Ok ive downloaded toontrack solo, and EZDrummer is now working mint. Can someone tell me how to make my PC keyboard work the drums?

Thanks

get yourself a korg nanopad, cheap and very handy.
Quote by Stildawn
Lol a PC Keyboard not an actual piano keyboard lol.

haha my mistake!

Its actually quite easy to just program the midi tracks for the drums using just the mouse
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Stildawn
I found this:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/viewentry.asp?projectid=354976&mode=gameinfo

Do you reckon it will work? Im at work at the moment but ill try when I get home.

Yeah, I thought about something like that when mentioning using your PC keyboard as MIDI keyboard. Trial and error usually separates the good ones from the bad ones, so no way will go around actually trying it.
Drums:

Don't get EZdrummer. I am always surprised on why everybody likes it, as it sounds extremely fake IMO.

I'd get Steven Slate Drums instead. Around the same price, but WAY better IMO.

Guitar:

Avoid Guitar Rig 4 and anything to do with Guitar Rig. It sounds like garbage IMO. Amplitude 3 I have heard is pretty good, and I use Pod Farm along with other free amp simulations and get great results.

I recommend the Pod package. A decent interface, and a good amp modeling software is what I think of the Line 6 Package.
Steven Slate Drums

Can you use the PC (as in COMPUTER) Keyboard to controll the drums with this?

Yeah, I thought about something like that when mentioning using your PC keyboard as MIDI keyboard. Trial and error usually separates the good ones from the bad ones, so no way will go around actually trying it.

So i tried that program lol an although i think its working, Toontrack/Ezdrummer still doesnt work, and when in toontrack I go to midi devices its says there are none lol.

So any more ideas?
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Drums:
Avoid Guitar Rig 4 and anything to do with Guitar Rig. It sounds like garbage IMO.

Really?!?!?!

I always found guitar rig to be some of the most convincing sounding VST modelling I have heard.

Bit of a tweakers kind of plug in though. Have to spend lots of times getting your presets sounding right.
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Drums:

Don't get EZdrummer. I am always surprised on why everybody likes it, as it sounds extremely fake IMO.

I'd get Steven Slate Drums instead. Around the same price, but WAY better IMO.

+1, I have EZDrummer and haven't even touched it since I got SSD. Much better sounding drums.

Also, I've used Guitar Rig and Amplitube and have yet to find a sound I liked out of it. POD Farm Platinum is $150 right now at AudioMIDI and it owns IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
check out hydrogen drum software, its freeware and i use it, its fairly east but you cant do much with it, but hey, its free.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by 3hta_bryce
check out hydrogen drum software, its freeware and i use it, its fairly east but you cant do much with it, but hey, its free.

Kore Player would be free too and that's quite powerful. And you can expand it with professional drums.
Quote by Stildawn
Can SDD use the computer keyboard to control the drums?

can you put in a nail with a screwdriver?

you gotta use the tool intended for the job. if you arent going to use a MIDI keyboard, you are better off just using your mouse to program the MIDI using the piano roll. it is a little more time consuming, but it gets the job done.
but since you were planning on buying a keyboard anyway, but a MIDI interface (youll want one) and a decent keyboard.

for amp sims, check out Peavey's Revalver. it has a free demo you can try out, it just throws a random hiss at you every now and then. sounds good to me. full version is expensive, but if you plan on using amp sims a lot it could be worth it.
also try some of the stuff by Acme Bar Gig, namely Shred. free download for 6 heads, and includes cab sims and some effects.