I've seen some covers of songs on youtube and I just want to know how do they get perfect quality with the background and the guitar? What kind of equipment do they use to do this?
Quote by Jpboy1994
I've seen some covers of songs on youtube and I just want to know how do they get perfect quality with the background and the guitar? What kind of equipment do they use to do this?

Usually any audio interface that has USB or Firewire. Some multi-fx pedals have USB outputs. Also, they use a DAW software to place the mp3 track and create another track to record their guitar.
Quote by Jpboy1994

You need a DI interface, good a/d converters, and most importantly a good preamp. Check out a grace 101 or a RNP for a great inexpensive, HIGH QUALITY preamp.
Quote by Jpboy1994

Most people record like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjgGLghbyo

Record video with a cam, audio with an audio interface and the computer.

I don't suggest listening to the above post, I don't see much help in making the video with that...

EDIT:

Quote by atmospheric88
You need a DI interface, good a/d converters, and most importantly a good preamp. Check out a grace 101 or a RNP for a great inexpensive, HIGH QUALITY preamp.

"DI interface" - No such thing...although they do make audio interfaces which have an instrument input or two so you can use software amps and such.

"good a/d converters" - These are also built into all interfaces and will not need to be purchased separately.

"most importantly a good preamp" - I'll give ya this one, having a good preamp really helps the sound but you need the proper audio interface to go with it.

Overall, the original topic is how to record audio and video at the same time to get something for youtube. Most of the members here don't have thousands of dollars to spend and so I'm not going to spend my time suggesting that type of gear.

Once again, all that's needed is a video camera, an audio interface, and a few pieces of software to sync and edit it all down for youtube.

I suggest the following:
- M-Audio fast track MKII (or) M-Audio Fast Track Pro
- A video camera of choice - (I like the new flash card based HD cameras but you need a fast computer to edit the high end video. I still see many people shooting with DV tapes and exporting at 720x480. This is MUCH easier to edit on any computer.)
- Software - (Try Adobe Premiere Elements to edit the video and sync. Reaper is a great piece of software to record and edit just the audio. Export as a WAV file to Premiere).
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
Most people record like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjgGLghbyo

Record video with a cam, audio with an audio interface and the computer.

I don't suggest listening to the above post, I don't see much help in making the video with that...

He said PERFECT quality, he may actually appreciate the advice.
Good ad/converter....most a/d converters built into standard audio interfaces are crap, get your facts straight lol I guess for someone not really into it to much its not a big issue.

Having a good preamp is only rivaled in importance by having a proper soundproofing in our rooms, monitoring and recording.

If your serious about recording good vocals, then you need a good preamp. great preamps are so crucial. Very crucial
i would completly disagree that the A/D converters in standard audio interfaces are crap. thats one of the reasons to buy an interface IMO, they are much better than what comes on a standard soundcard. of course you can find better, but not without paying a good deal more.
Quote by jof1029
i would completly disagree that the A/D converters in standard audio interfaces are crap. thats one of the reasons to buy an interface IMO, they are much better than what comes on a standard soundcard. of course you can find better, but not without paying a good deal more.

mid t0 high range are fine, but a el cheapo ins't goin cut it with conversion.
Quote by atmospheric88
If your serious about recording good vocals, then you need a good preamp. great preamps are so crucial. Very crucial
I could move a mic 1 inch and it would have more of an effect then a preamp IMO.

Yeah, good preamps are great to have. But for someone who is just doing covers, or demos, I fail to see a point.

And like moody said, the TS most likely does not want to spend lots of money, and to be honest a good preamp is at least $500, with the better ones being a lot more. (Focusrite ISA One Classic).

And I am sorry, but to tell moody to get his facts straight really is quite ironic... :P
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I could move a mic 1 inch and it would have more of an effect then a preamp IMO.

Yeah, good preamps are great to have. But for someone who is just doing covers, or demos, I fail to see a point.

And like moody said, the TS most likely does not want to spend lots of money, and to be honest a good preamp is at least $500, with the better ones being a lot more. (Focusrite ISA One Classic).

And I am sorry, but to tell moody to get his facts straight really is quite ironic... :P

O no douubt technique and skill trump a great preamp in importance, but its still very key in your audio singal path.

There'yre are cheaper options of equal or better quality then the Focusrite ISA One Classic, also.
Quote by atmospheric88
O no douubt technique and skill trump a great preamp in importance, but its still very key in your audio singal path.

There'yre are cheaper options of equal or better quality then the Focusrite ISA One Classic, also.

*facepalm*

You can take your fancy preamps and go make a pro recording with them. Were talking Youtube covers, not recording a grammy winning platinum selling album here.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
*facepalm*

You can take your fancy preamps and go make a pro recording with them. Were talking Youtube covers, not recording a grammy winning platinum selling album here.

Really
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!