Recently I've come to like acoustic guitar more than electric so yeah..

I still have the one that started off with. Not surprisingly, the action is suuuuper-high, as in, very high, as in, unbearably high, as in, cannot hold a F-chord perfectly no matter how hard I try.

But I'm in a bit of financial problem right now so I won't be able to get a new one, so I was thinking, just replace the bridge?

I've read about how you can sand it off little by little, but wouldn't that mess up intonation & harmonics and such? Or if there is such a thing as a low-action bridge one can buy, suggestions? ty
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
first off, are you sure the action is too high? the strings could be the problem.

second, yes, you can use fine fine sandpaper, and doing it can mess things up if you're too low or accidentally do it so the bottom of the nut or saddle isn't perfectly as flat as it was before you started. since our guitars strings were perfect in relationship to each other, my husband puts the nut and saddle in a vice, then uses a cabinet scraper. he takes off REALLY little at a time, then tests before taking off more. all our guitars sound great, but i gotta tell you, if you don't have patience, a good eye and good eye-hand coordination, you might want to have a pro do this. it's not very expensive, and it will make your guitar feel much better.
Last edited by patticake at Jun 21, 2010,
I would say just take it into a shop for a set up. It will surely be cheaper than a new guitar.
If you can't afford to take it to a technician, and are determined to do the work yourself, first visit Frets.com:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician

Which is a site run by a professional repair/technician to see what's involved. There are standard measurements for action at the nut and at the bridge. Special tools are needed, although you can improvise.
You also need to check the condition of the neck. If the neck is warped or in need of a truss rod adjustment, all the fiddling with saddle and nut will be wasted.
Quote by patticake
first off, are you sure the action is too high? the strings could be the problem.

She speaks the truth. Trust me. What gauge strings do you currently have on your acoustic?
Quote by Neptune
Trus rod needs sorting no?

NO.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
no. the truss rod is for adjusting neck relief, NOT for adjusting the action.

Quote by Neptune
Trus rod needs sorting no?
Quote by Skeet UK
NO.

It could absolutely be contributing to the issue. It doesn't hurt to check.
true - the neck relief could be off.

Quote by GC Shred Off
Quote by GC Shred Off

I think the thread title, pretty much rules out the truss rod being effective as an adjustment.
Big things first, small things after.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
As well as looking at he guage of strings/ sanding down bridge etc you could also try a different make of string. eg Country Golds are not wound at the point where the bottom four strings pass over the bridge, which may also help to reduce the problem.
If you're struggling with the F chord, it sounds as though the action is high at the first fret. The nut slots may need filing aswell as lowering the saddle.
Quote by Strummer 71
If you're struggling with the F chord, it sounds as though the action is high at the first fret. The nut slots may need filing aswell as lowering the saddle.

Just a word of advice on that.

While it is entirely accurate, one should take care when it comes to the nut.

If you do not have nut files, you risk opening the slots too much, where the strings will then buzz.

You can use the same gauge strings, slightly roughened to saw the slots down, or knock the nut off and sand the bottom, keeping it flat.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani