So after a trip to Guitar Center, I came back home with an Egnater Rebel 30!

One very cool (sometimes frustrating) thing about the Egnater is how sensitive everything is. The EQ interacts together in a way I have never seen on an amp. This isn't an amp you can plug in and play right away, and I have spent hours trying to dial in a tone thats good for me. Too add to this, it's very guitar sensitive as well and when plugging in my Charvel, I have to dial a whole new tone.

The cleans shimmer and it's very easy to get a nice clean tone. The Tube Mix knob is a nifty feature, and there is a subtle difference between the El84s and 6v6s. The EL84s are a bit harsher and more aggressive, while the 6v6s are yield a smoother touch to your tone. Putting the knob all the way on one end means there is a drop in volume because only half of your power tubes are being used. I prefer to put at about 1 o' clock on the 6v6 side.

The watt control knobs aren't very useful, and I didn't notice much of a difference on 30 or 1 watt, besides a little compression when you have some gain enabled on the 1 watt setting.

Now for me, the downfall of the amp is the gain. Being a single speaker amp, you aren't going to get a very huge sound. You can get some nice bluesy tones, some good classic rock (AC/DC) tones, but it stops there. As much tweaking as I did to the settings, I couldn't get a very satisfying tone for even a band such as Boston.

I'm on the fence about this one. While the blues enthusiast in me was satisfied, the gain left a lot to be desired. It is also frustrating spending more time tweaking the knobs than I do playing. I think I'm going to trade this one in and invest into an amp with a little more "oomph". It's gonna be hard to find a nice clean channel like this baby though.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Eyegasm
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Try it boosted and get back to us. If you still don't like its rock tones after that, I'll be surprised.

EDIT: Where are my manners? HNAD, and welcome to the club!
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Try it boosted and get back to us. If you still don't like its rock tones after that, I'll be surprised.

EDIT: Where are my manners? HNAD, and welcome to the club!

I suppose I can give that a shot before returning it. Any suggestions for a boost?
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

The gain from all the demos of this amp that I watched left something to be desired both clean and drive wise for me personally.

Tubescreamer or clone for boost.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
The gain from all the demos of this amp that I watched left something to be desired both clean and drive wise for me personally.

Tubescreamer or clone for boost.

Thanks

Plus, plugging a Charvel into an Egnater just doesn't feel right. I need some tighter gain, hopefully the boost can help with that.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

I love the San Dimas guitars, I would like one in candy purple haha.
You're right, they don't suit the Rebel very well, not that that's a bad thing at all.
I don't see what the appeal is with Egnater really, even the more expensive amps didn't sound anything special in my opinion.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
try it with an OCD. it worked better for my renegade than my ts808 did. i love the gain on my renegade though, i just use the OCD for a third channel.

i know the tweaking gets extensive, but be patient, the tone is well worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by FuzzLove
I love the San Dimas guitars, I would like one in candy purple haha.
You're right, they don't suit the Rebel very well, not that that's a bad thing at all.
I don't see what the appeal is with Egnater really, even the more expensive amps didn't sound anything special in my opinion.

I was so close to getting purple, I love flashy guitars like that.

Well I'm positive I'm returning the Egnater, thank god for the 30 day return policy. Store time with an amp like this isn't enough to get a really good feel for it. After all this at home tweaking, I've realized this isn't the amp for me. Not a bad amp, just not for me.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Quote by baf250
I suppose I can give that a shot before returning it. Any suggestions for a boost?

Take a look at the CoolCat CT0-2 (only about £30), apparently it's a clone of the Klon.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
^ Agreed. I don't mean to be offensive, but why would you buy an amp when you were on the fence about it?

I mean, sure you can send it back, but why bother with all that trouble when you knew in the shop how it sounded?
PLEASE spend some more time with that amp before returning it. I have a Rebel 20, and I love the thing. I recently got a Tubescreamer, and I can get some really good metal tones out of it now. The Rebel 30 has even more gain on tap than the 20, so I know for a fact that you can get really good rock and metal tones out of that thing.

HNAD though!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HNAD - but I'm a bit confused as to why you bought it.

Honestly, so am I. I was so mesmerized by the clean and bluesy tones I could get out of it, I wasn't really thinking too much about what it would sound like when I cranked the gain. Plus the deal was for $730 rather than $900 so I decided to jump on it. I've been curious about the amps for a while, and figured I should give it some time at home to figure out and mess around with it, and if I didn't like it, I'd get a refund.

I still got about a week before I bring it back, so my opinion could change. I'm trying to give it a fair chance, and tomorrow I'm testing it in a band situation. We'll see how that goes.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

baf - I've played the Rebel 30 and thought your synopsis was pretty close to mine. Nice cleans and blues/rock tones but that was it. The tube switch seemed cool but the watts divider/attenuator/whatever didn't do much. Try a tubescreamer and check things out in a gig situation like you said and report back.

Check out the Egnator Tweaker. Now that is an amp.
Will do, thats when I make the final decision.

The concept of the Tweaker did appeal to me, but it wasn't at the store I went to, and I like to have more than a single channel.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Quote by baf250
Will do, thats when I make the final decision.

The concept of the Tweaker did appeal to me, but it wasn't at the store I went to, and I like to have more than a single channel.

I understand. Well, if it was from a chain store like GC or Sam Ash there is a good chance you can exchange at a different store or work with your store to get on in.

It can actually pull off some great cleans if you use the right tube combination and guitar volume. Ask Gregs1020 about it. He posted earlier. I got to play his amp on my cab and I was pretty floored at how cool it was. Sounded awesome too. All kinds of tones. My only concern would be the gigging situation if you had no PA but maybe Greg can expound on that a bit more. It is only 15/7 watts so it might depend a bit on what you play most, and how loud your band/drummer is. But it is not half as loud as your Rebel 30. Maybe 3db quieter - but that is nothing.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 23, 2010,
After countless tweaking and thinking, I've decided to keep the Rebel. It sounded good in a band situation, plus I can always get an extension cab for a bigger sound. I've set the first channel as straight up clean, the second channel has a little more dirt and works well for blues rock, and I'm going to buy an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n to function as a 3rd higher gain channel. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

I luv the clean channel as it is 3 or 4 channels by itself,it takes pedals better than most amps !
So stomp on modest mikes ProCo Rat or a T-REX Distortion tone bug and whoa fabulous Marschall fierse articulate juicey rock comes out.

The OD channel is classic rock with out holding back anything.
So channel 2 is about adjusting everything , thats all u can do here !
The effects loop is fabulous for delay and chorus or any modulation.

You can get allmost any sound from this amp.
This amp is a platform waiting to be loaded up, open your mind and get the sound you want with a great pedal.

The tubes are waiting for the right signal, give it what it needs to suit you !
Youve been close minded on your approach, use your imagination please.

Im running new sencor power tubes,tungsol 6v6 and mullard el84 and genelex 12ax7 and nos mullard 12ax7 also.
Ask for higher draw tubes when buying power tubes,i redplated low draw tubes !
The rebel has 365 plate volts and these tubes work fine,but only higher drawing tubes for me for now on !
The rebel 20 amp i have has some fierse gain EQd to the higher midrange screaming rock tones region.
Ive been considering a change in tube gain.

I may put a 12au7 in V1 and use the amp as a clean platform for pedals which would push the 12au7 gain up and give a listen using a Fulltone gt-500 or T-Rex Alberta ive got and get a smoother drive going.

The 12au7 is a nice harmonic tone generator tube so hopefully pushing it gets enough to the power tubes for the to OD a bit with the volume cranked.

Worth a go i think ?
Are you ****ing ******ed? Because at no point in either of those posts did you make any ****ing sense.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ijams33
I luv the clean channel as it is 3 or 4 channels by itself,it takes pedals better than most amps !
So stomp on modest mikes ProCo Rat or a T-REX Distortion tone bug and whoa fabulous Marschall fierse articulate juicey rock comes out.

The OD channel is classic rock with out holding back anything.
So channel 2 is about adjusting everything , thats all u can do here !
The effects loop is fabulous for delay and chorus or any modulation.

You can get allmost any sound from this amp.
This amp is a platform waiting to be loaded up, open your mind and get the sound you want with a great pedal.

The tubes are waiting for the right signal, give it what it needs to suit you !
Youve been close minded on your approach, use your imagination please.

Im running new sencor power tubes,tungsol 6v6 and mullard el84 and genelex 12ax7 and nos mullard 12ax7 also.
Ask for higher draw tubes when buying power tubes,i redplated low draw tubes !
The rebel has 365 plate volts and these tubes work fine,but only higher drawing tubes for me for now on !

It sounds like you a are cork sniffing know it all.

Apparently you aren't that smart. You necro bumped a 3 year old thread.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
i felt teh same way and i think the tweaker series has a bit more raw rock sound / gain on tap. i had to jack the gain on the rebel about 1-2 o clock to start getting crunch.

however, the onboard reverb with the channel spillover is very slick, and it is a great clean shimmering amp. sounds very good, just not as versatile as the tweakers.

the watts matter at gig volumes. thats about it. at low volumes you will not noticed a differences. at louder bedroom volumes put it to 1 watts, and hit the strings hard, you will probably hear it break up naturally opposed to 30 watts staying clean.

it was the gain structure of this amp that turned me off, and that it is LOUD. i had a hard time trying to dial in a bedroom tone. watt control do nothing for bedroom tone
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)