Hey everyone, I'll be heading off to college in a couple months and I'll be needing a laptop, so I've been seriously considering getting a macbook pro along with a decent set of speakers to have some fun with my guitar while I'm away from home. (unfortunately my Mesa has to stay behind , I will be bringing my microcube though) Is it possible to get some decent 80's metal tones out of garageband '09? I've seen some vids with nice clean tones but I mostly play more distorted music so I'll be needing a few good metal/shred tones. I'll be plugging the guitar directly into the computer and using the speakers as the audio output. (hopefully this can create a decent tone)
Garageband is one of my major deciding factors on getting a mac or a pc, and it seems like a program I could really have some fun with, however if the tone is garbage, or the program mediocre at best, I'll probabaly stick with a cheaper windows based laptop.

Thanks in advance.

(THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR ARGUING OVER A MAC OR PC BEING BETTER, I NEED UNBIASED OPINIONS PEOPLE)

EDIT: Please keep in mind I'm not looking for crystal clear tube amp tone, just something that isn't completely unlistenable.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Last edited by kyle100 at Jun 21, 2010,
It can be okay at best but I always found it better for cleans.
I say get a Mac and if you can afford it, by Logic (it's like an updated GarageBand but way better) or find out if any of your friends have it and can transfer the software to your computer with a CD or something like that. But either way, you should get a Mac over a PC if you want to record, GarageBand can be a decent program once you get good at doing it.
To get a decent tone your going to need to use a preamp but lucky for you your microcube will do nicely for that task. I use a microcube as my preamp as well, run your guitar through the microcube with it on a clean setting and within garageband you can throw whatever effects and distortion you want.

Garageband is very cool, just be sure you plug use the rec/phones out and you'll be fine when plugging an amp directly into the computer. Your going to need an adapter to convert the the 1/4 into a 1/8 and a wire/cable that you can plug into the mic at the back of the computer. Be sure to feel out the proper amount of volume and gain on the microcube so you don't record too hot. You'll figure it out though.

i bought an imac and it has drastically improved my recording.
Quote by the_unforgiven6
It can be okay at best but I always found it better for cleans.
I say get a Mac and if you can afford it, by Logic (it's like an updated GarageBand but way better) or find out if any of your friends have it and can transfer the software to your computer with a CD or something like that. But either way, you should get a Mac over a PC if you want to record, GarageBand can be a decent program once you get good at doing it.

I was wondering what the difference was between the two actually, care to elaborate on what's better about Logic as opposed to garage band?
My Rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Microcube

garageband is logic light.
logic gives you access to all the pro functions, more active tracks, more plugins, better meters.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by kyle100
I was wondering what the difference was between the two actually, care to elaborate on what's better about Logic as opposed to garage band?

Basically the difference is, if your a pro then logic is the way to go. If your an amateur garageband will suit all your needs and sound quite good.
Not sure, Never figured out how to hook up a guitar in to use the settings on garageband, I use it mostly to record vocals.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by mh1986
Basically the difference is, if your a pro then logic is the way to go. If your an amateur garageband will suit all your needs and sound quite good.

Okay well I'd mostly be just screwing around with the recording stuff, nothing professional, so that saves me 200 bucks thankfully.

Also, to the guy above who can't get his guitar to use the effects, have you tried watching some youtube videos explaining how to do it? There's quite a few detailed videos clearly explaining the process on there.
My Rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Microcube

Garage Band distortion isn’t great, but it’s no worse than most consumer modeling gear for a lot less money. One thing you will need to do is be sure to buy a Mac with a Firewire port and get a Firewire preamp. The onboard sound input on a Mac has nasty latency that will really drive you nuts playing metal, and Garage Band with effects will eat up enough CPU that you can’t really rely on USB, either.