Page 1 of 2
I recently found out that a friend of mine has suffered from panic attacks; she says she only gets them about once a year anymore. However, it sparked interest, and I've started reading up and studying them; they're never really caught my attention before.

Does anyone here experience panic attacks? How frequently does it happen? What usually causes it for you? When did you have your first one? Also, could you describe exactly what you go through for me? I'd like to hear some first-hand accounts. I'm currently reading a system designed to cure people of panic attacks; I don't experience them myself, but it seems like good knowledge to have, in the same way that it's useful to know first aid.
I don't know any active way to help, apart from being there for 'em. I once had a bird have one while i was ****ing her.
The police were called.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
My gf used to have them pretty often. She would have problems breathing/rapid heartbeat/dizzy/can't calm down. Its not very fun.
I have panic attacks when I'm on a downer, or when facing things like job interviews, people who intimidate me, awkward social situations.

Social anxiety and depression ftw.

Only one person could ever help me out of them, and he's my ex now

I'd say there's maybe 1 mild one at least a week. Sometimes I just get a bit blank. But mild is usually a sick feeling and paranoia. But when bad my breathing ****s up, sometimes I get choked and stop breathing for a moment.

Guhhhh >_<
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Last edited by RevaM1ssP1ss at Jun 21, 2010,
I experience a Panic Attack every time I listen to Octavarium.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I used to, till I manned up and realised they dont even really have to exist. I still get a bit of social anxiety, but for some reason I am the most confident person I know. I think you can either go "woe is me," and live at 10% enjoyment capacity, or just ignore it and y'know... Live.
...In my opinion.
Quote by seemeel
I experience a Panic Attack every time I listen to Octavarium.
I'm not going to lie; I expected to hear that song referenced in the first reply.... I'm surprised it took this long.
Quote by Benjibum2nd
I used to, till I manned up and realised they dont even really have to exist. I still get a bit of social anxiety, but for some reason I am the most confident person I know. I think you can either go "woe is me," and live at 10% enjoyment capacity, or just ignore it and y'know... Live.

You don't just "get over" panic attacks, so you were probably just moping. They're nothing you just shrug off.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
You don't just "get over" panic attacks, so you were probably just moping. They're nothing you just shrug off.

I thought I was going to have one once, then I realised I was a geezer. Tell me your situation was worse than mine?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
I thought I was going to have one once, then I realised I was a geezer. Tell me your situation was worse than mine?

It's not a case of whose situation is worse, it's how the individual's body copes and acts on the situation.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
It's not a case of whose situation is worse, it's how the individual's body copes and acts on the situation.

Aye, so you could man up and get over it?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
Don't be ignorant about it; some people can't help it, and, seeing as it's been shown to be genetic, some people are naturally prone to it.

Reva, I sent you a message on your profile; would you mind reading through it, and tell me what you think?
Quote by UraniYum

....no because the point is that a panic attack is your body refusing to cope.... because you can't....

EDIT:
Quote by herby190
Don't be ignorant about it; some people can't help it, and, seeing as it's been shown to be genetic, some people are naturally prone to it.

Reva, I sent you a message on your profile; would you mind reading through it, and tell me what you think?

Precisely. Even if it only occurs after something else is triggered, it's still in your genes, you just had to wait for the trigger.

On my way dear!
Quote by SteveHouse
Last edited by RevaM1ssP1ss at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

+1
Some people are more prone to the common cold, but I won't tell you to "Man up and stop sneezing".
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Neither will I tell you to stop having panic attacks. Some lucky people, like myself, have the blind faith in testorone to resist them. Hence why the first post is me informing the fella, you can only be a friend to the sufferer. To my knowledge.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I get them... I started getting them over a year ago and man it was the worst feeling ever. I mean it got to the point I didn't want to leave the house. Started taking medicine and they went away for a year and just recently as last week they are starting to come back.

Im not really sure what causes them, and I just can't get the feeling to go away. They're a pain in the ass lol
Quote by bodyheatseeker
+1
Some people are more prone to the common cold, but I won't tell you to "Man up and stop sneezing".

Thank you!

Quote by UraniYum
Neither will I tell you to stop having panic attacks. Some lucky people, like myself, have the blind faith in testorone to resist them. Hence why the first post is me informing the fella, you can only be a friend to the sufferer. To my knowledge.

No. You can "man up" if you're.... idk crying at a papercut, for example. But for having panic attacks... there is no manning up. They just happen. They are uncontrollable without help.

Quote by chrisrab5150
I get them... I started getting them over a year ago and man it was the worst feeling ever. I mean it got to the point I didn't want to leave the house. Started taking medicine and they went away for a year and just recently as last week they are starting to come back.

Im not really sure what causes them, and I just can't get the feeling to go away. They're a pain in the ass lol

Eek! ANy change in diet? Or like new medication for something else?
Quote by SteveHouse
Eek! ANy change in diet? Or like new medication for something else?

Nope I haven't done anything different, nothing's changed. It just all of a sudden came back. I really don't know what causes it though.
Chrisrab, I'm in the process of typing up a message; check the inbox on your profile in a minute, okay?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
No. You can "man up" if you're.... idk crying at a papercut, for example. But for having panic attacks... there is no manning up. They just happen. They are uncontrollable without help.

That's a very modern belief. And a very limited one. As panic attacks have not been medically defined, and begun to be treated with any real results, you can't rule out alternative medicine.

Placebos work, as does 'aligning your chakras'. Why shouldn't 'manning up'?

Sounds like you have suffered from them yourself, and i'm honestly not attacking you, or any other sufferer. A fair few of my loved ones have suffered from them. I don't mean to offend yourselves, it's just another alternative medicine.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
i used to get them quite frequently, then they died down, now i'm starting to get them alot again but only when i'm at work
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
The same goes for depression and social anxiety -- for some it's uncontrollable.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
The same goes for depression and social anxiety -- for some it's uncontrollable.

Yeah, I get that. You do realise I'm on your side right?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
That's a very modern belief. And a very limited one. As panic attacks have not been medically defined, and begun to be treated with any real results, you can't rule out alternative medicine.

Placebos work, as does 'aligning your chakras'. Why shouldn't 'manning up'?

Sounds like you have suffered from them yourself, and i'm honestly not attacking you, or any other sufferer. A fair few of my loved ones have suffered from them. I don't mean to offend yourselves, it's just another alternative medicine.

I'm just going to say this.

Psychological problems are not understood by people enough.

People are very easily ignorant to them, it's irritating having to be told about your fake depression/problems

EDIT: ^^ start acting like it.

Quote by Eastwinn

This.
Quote by SteveHouse
<-
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I'm just going to say this.

Psychological problems are not understood by people enough.

People are very easily ignorant to them, it's irritating having to be told about your fake depression/problems

I don't think we've met, but, I'm on your side. I'm quite personally informed and experienced on this subject. Hence why I told the TS to help the friend passively. I know no other way.

EDIT. I was brought up in such a way that I found a way around it. You could bash my method for it's simplicity, and minority effect. But it worked for me, and that other ****er on the 1st page. Belief helps a great deal. Who's on the sympathetic side?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Last edited by UraniYum at Jun 21, 2010,
i have TERRIBLE panic attacks that just started a year ago. it sucks man, one of the worst things ever. i get one about once a week... it feels like your brain is shutting down and you just start throwing up everywhere

EDIT: I have a few tips for those of you who have them. Get rid of all of the stress in your life. I switched colleges and stopped talking to people who stressed me out and I'm a lot better now. Also, hang out with people ALL the time. I leave in the middle of the night to hang out with people because I feel like I could have one when I'm alone at night.

It's weird, and definitely uncontrollable. I figured I would outgrow it after a few months, and maybe I will eventually, you just gotta learn how to control it a bit better. But I wish it could just go away completely. I've always had bad anxiety, but panic attacks are a whole other league.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Last edited by meta1militia at Jun 21, 2010,
I used to get them pretty bad, and the fact that i had asthma didn't help. After i would have a panic attack i would have trouble breathing for hours unless i got on oxygen.
::type i'm here to stir the $h!t

Quote by UraniYum
I don't think we've met, but, I'm on your side. I'm quite personally informed and experienced on this subject. Hence why I told the TS to help the friend passively. I know no other way.

EDIT. I was brought up in such a way that I found a way around it. You could bash my method for it's simplicity, and minority effect. But it worked for me, and that other ****er on the 1st page. Belief helps a great deal. Who's on the sympathetic side?

It's just not that easy to just not have panic attacks. That's the whole point. It's just not. You just have to ride them through.

It's not whatever method you suggest, it's the fact that you literally said to just man up. That is BS.
Quote by SteveHouse
I've been getting them every day at least twice a day, sometimes more, for the past week and its not very fun.
has anyone ever been hospitalized because of an attack? i didnt think it was possible but my friend was sent to the hospital when he had one
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Chrisrab, I sent the message; could you check your profile.

I sent them to a few other people in this thread as well; check your inbox on your profile.
Quote by bellamy_morello
has anyone ever been hospitalized because of an attack? i didnt think it was possible but my friend was sent to the hospital when he had one
It happened to my friends mom; I think it's more out of fear that it could be a heart attack or another problem with similar symptoms than fear of the panic attack itself hurting the person.
Quote by bellamy_morello

I assume I've had a few close calls. It sometimes makes it so that my throat kinda closes up, but it does re-open in time usually. Never passed out from one, though it's felt like it a few times.
Quote by SteveHouse
i dont think I recieved anything herby, or at least its not showing it...

But anyway I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow... try to get this sorted out again
Quote by chrisrab5150
I've been getting them every day at least twice a day, sometimes more, for the past week and its not very fun.

Listen mate, i'm just going to respond to you, to actually try and help.

I've very little understanding of panic attacks, very few people except the sufferers do. But, as i understand it, confidence helps. And strength, in whatever you find strength in. Uninformed as I am, I can offer suggestions. I've had to escape depression a fair few times in my life. I'd suggest taking up a trade, something physical. I worked sites for however many years, just a hard working job with some decent fellas. Keeps your mind off it, it's a form of meditation actually, concentrating the conscious on something mundane.
The impossible bit is always getting started, but it's better than getting finished innit?

I watched the Shawshank Redemption every sunday afternoon for years, I'd reccomend it.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by chrisrab5150
i dont think I recieved anything herby, or at least its not showing it...

But anyway I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow... try to get this sorted out again
Well, it's not a PM, if that's what you're thinking; it should show up on the page you can edit and work on your profile from, as a new message. If not, maybe the system's just being a bit slow; I'm sure I sent it though.
Some people throw up if it gets too much for them. I had a panic attack before my body went all numb n I could not mo****in breathe thats all that happened.
I've had them, don't have them as much any more though; they were usually induced by caffeine before bed, stress in life, or a combo of the 2.

Page 1 of 2