I've been playing guitar for a good 4 and a half years and I'm pretty comfortable around the instrument. However recording it is where I sometimes stumble. I've learned that plugging your guitar in through the mic socket on your audio card will allow you to record, but will give you a lesser quality sound. I've also learned that it would have a better sound quality if you use a USB guitar cable.

Whenever I would record my guitar through the mic socket on my audio card, there would be a hiss that would really kill what I was trying to record. I was wondering, if by using the USB guitar cable would that eliminate the 'hissing' noise I get using the alternative?

Thanks to anyone who answers
No. I used to use one of those, and they are crap. Buy a legitimate interface or DI box and then VST amp it.
Really? Huh, thanks heh. I'll be sure to invest in what you recommended. Again, thanks a lot.
yes, the USB cable is better than just using the mic jack, but as suggested, an interface would be a much much better investment. take a look at the Fast Tracks for a good entry level interface. perhaps even line 6's UX line.

i'm not sure what sambot meant about the DI thing. those will not get sound into your computer. A proper interface is what you need.

most of us have already invested more money into our recording than we can afford, so we hate to see people spend theirs in the wrong places. it's your choice, but as far as wise investments go... take our advice.
Quote by sandyman323
i'm not sure what sambot meant about the DI thing. those will not get sound into your computer.

I'm not really sure what I was talking about either... sorry about that. Go with an interface.
To shed a little light, pick up one of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006

Essentially, its a device to plug your guitar in so you can use it with many of the recording programs out there. This one includes Line 6's Pod Farm which is essentially a software version of the Pod Effects Boards/Racks
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I use a Behringer UCG102, and some generic cables, with my BC Rich Warlock bronze series. I have ASIO4ALL setup to I can use my guitar in Guitar Rig 4. Now, you do experience hissing, no matter what equipment you use. Up top, where it has the "In/Out" volumes, there's something called "gate". Turn this right up, problem gone.

Or, use one of the volume ffects called "noise reduction". Works great.
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Now, you do experience hissing, no matter what equipment you use.

Tell that to my Mbox.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Mind_Reader7
I use a Behringer UCG102, and some generic cables, with my BC Rich Warlock bronze series. I have ASIO4ALL setup to I can use my guitar in Guitar Rig 4. Now, you do experience hissing, no matter what equipment you use. Up top, where it has the "In/Out" volumes, there's something called "gate". Turn this right up, problem gone.

Or, use one of the volume ffects called "noise reduction". Works great.

The problem I found with the Noise "Gate" and Noise Reduction is that they only get rid of the noise when your not playing. So if your someone who gets a lot of noise, it's not gonna sound real clean when you start playing.

If your recording through your motherboards sound card then it's gonna cause a madd delay anyway and probably excessive noise cause it's not what they were made for, but some are surprisingly good at it.
Gear:
ESP MH-100QM

...hooked straight through Guitar Rig until I get a decent Amp.
Last edited by Dekkon0 at Jun 22, 2010,