Basically, I've started getting into writing raps. I find them easy to write.
What I'm asking is, how would I go about taking the vocals out of a song, so that I've jsut got the instrumental to work with, and is it legal to use the whole instrumental if youre not making any money out of it?
You can't really take the vocals out of the songs. In most cases it's just not that easy. However, lots of rap artists provide instrumentals to their songs as bonus tracks, B-sides etc.

I'm not really sure about the legality, but sampling has always been a gray area. Personally I find it more fun to make my own beats with small cut up samples than just swiping someones entire track.
Your supposed to buy the license for the particular song your using, as to how to take out the vocals, its pretty much impossible unless you have access to the master tracks. You could always take the instrumental portions of the song and copy, loop, and arrange into some form of the song but you'd probably just be better off musically and as an artist to write and record your own music. You'll feel better about your music if you create the whole thing yourself, not just riding on someone elses coat tails.

Even if you aren't making money, just distributing it for free its still illegal as the original artist has the right to make money off of their music whenever its distributed. Most of the time however if/when the artist notices they will request you to remove it and pay them some sort of monetary reimbursement for using their song unlicensed.
Doing anything with a copyrighted work is illegal, regardless of how much of it you use or if you're making any money from it. Recording, re-recording, performing, broadcasting, it's all illegal. You can contact the publisher for permission (probably gonna have to pay) or get written permission for the copyright holder (usually the label or artist).

Source: 300-level Music Law class.

Sampling is still an awesome art form, and extremely difficult. I still don't quite have a solid grasp of it myself, and that's not for lack of trying. I recommend just getting free legal loops online for now to practice making some beats to write over. Also, check the Creative Commons for some songs that people have given out to remix, sample, etc.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by swarley
You can't really take the vocals out of the songs. In most cases it's just not that easy. However, lots of rap artists provide instrumentals to their songs as bonus tracks, B-sides etc.

I'm not really sure about the legality, but sampling has always been a gray area. Personally I find it more fun to make my own beats with small cut up samples than just swiping someones entire track.

I like making my own stuff too, it's just that I've found a song thats got a beat and a bassline I'm comfortable with, and I've got some pretty good lyrics to it. I'm pretty sure this wasn't ever released as just an instrumental; yay for videogame soundtracks. :p

Quote by mh1986
Your supposed to buy the license for the particular song your using, as to how to take out the vocals, its pretty much impossible unless you have access to the master tracks. You could always take the instrumental portions of the song and copy, loop, and arrange into some form of the song but you'd probably just be better off musically and as an artist to write and record your own music. You'll feel better about your music if you create the whole thing yourself, not just riding on someone elses coat tails.

Even if you aren't making money, just distributing it for free its still illegal as the original artist has the right to make money off of their music whenever its distributed. Most of the time however if/when the artist notices they will request you to remove it and pay them some sort of monetary reimbursement for using their song unlicensed.

As I've just said, I prefer to make my own stuff, and I usually do. And thanks for the legality clearup, I wasn't sure wether it was legal or not to not make any money from it.