What kind of cord would I need to connect my amp to a PC for recording, and how much would said cable cost?
Well. Depends on how good of quality you want. You could run a male-to-male headphone jack sort of cable from your PC's audio-in to your amp's headphone-out, connected with a small-to-big converter, whatever the sizes on that thing are. Or you could buy a USB audio interface that plugs in by, well, USB, and you plug a guitar cable/mic/whateva into it. Or you could probably get one of those in the form of a sound card.

You should ask R&R for specifics though, I think.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

you can use a standard 1/4 to 1/4instrument cable and get a $0.99 1/4-1/8 converter. its pretty low quality but it works. I find using a used rockband mic to be a much better option.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thanks for the advice.

@Steve: How much would a good quality USB one cost?
@Pedestrian: I have a Rock Band Mic. How do you use it to record? It's not just by placing it next to an amp?

I want a straight amp-pc connection so I don't get any outside noise.
Quote by the_perdestrian
you can use a standard 1/4 to 1/4instrument cable and get a $0.99 1/4-1/8 converter. its pretty low quality but it works. I find using a used rockband mic to be a much better option.

i actually used a rockband mic to record my first demo with my band. also a cheap 10$ mic works just as well maybe slightly better
Straight amp-to-PC sounds nasty unless you're running it to an amp modeller VST or your amp has speaker emulation. Get a mic instead.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Straight amp-to-PC sounds nasty unless you're running it to an amp modeller VST or your amp has speaker emulation. Get a mic instead.

Ahah, all this technical stuff is just flying right over my head.

So it would be a bad idea to connect my amplifier to a PC for the purpose of recording tracks and mixing them in the studio?
Quote by Milan999

So it would be a bad idea to connect my amplifier to a PC for the purpose of recording tracks and mixing them in the studio?

It would be a waste of your time.You really need to look into getting a preamp or a good mic,even then though it would probly be a waste of time.Leave it to the pros to get the sound you really want?
Ohh shit, I guess I'll experiment with the rock band mic first then. I have experience in audio recording/production but not a huge deal though.
to rcord with a rock band mic.

1 plug into the usb port of your computer.
2 place in front of speaker on amp, use a micstand or a stack of books or something.
3 Use audacity (its free)
4 go to preferences and select(logitec usb mic)
5???
6 profit.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Dear Jesus, please never let a topic like this stray from the R&R Forum again. Thank you for letting me catch it.

Anyways, as the R&R Boards resident douchebag, I feel I have grounds to boss you around. First off, don't plug your ****ing guitar into your ****ing mic port. It doesn't sound good and there is a huge risk of blowing out your mic port. Second, don't waste your money on a Guitar to USB cable, they sound like balls.

The cheapest option I would suggest if you want to get a good sound without damaging your PC is this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006

Don't believe me? Go to the R&R forum and everyone will say the same thing.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Milan999

Says the guy with the Protest the Hero avatar.

SO MANY TERRIBLE SUGGESTIONS! Except for the guy from R/R...a comparable option would be Guitar Rig's Session. Same price, different interface and software. Seriously though, to get a sound you won't hate you have to spend a little dough. A rock band mic and a line-in would make you scream. If you're set on a USB mic check out the Audio-Technica AT2020 USB or the Blue Snowball. They are $99 each.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.