5 12%
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
7 16%
Mesa Boogie F 50 Combo
27 63%
Other
4 9%
Voters: 43.
Ok so I have finally saved up around $600 and hopefully will have at least close to $750 to spend on a new amp buy mid July now the question is which one do I buy? I play alternative, indie, grunge, classic rock, and hard rock. A combo for transportation reasons. TUBE! No solid state. Also, I am willing to go used. I have actually looked into a few let me know what you think:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Tiny-Terror-TT15C-12-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-424047-i1527055.gc ( If i decide to get this i will most likely go used)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp-100259491-i1145367.gc

or a Mesa Boogie F 50 combo.

I wont have time to actually go and try any of these out for at least another week or two, so I was hoping you could tell me which one you would recommend out of the three or if there are any others I should try. Thank you
Out of those, I personally would go with the F-50, maybe look at some of the Traynor YCV's too if you aren't going to be needing copious amounts of gain.
Out of those three, definatly the Mesa F-50, far superior amp compared to the other two.

I play a pretty similar array of music to you, for me the Tiny Terror was pretty useless, especially when you turned it up loud, just sounded like a big bassy mess. It's only one channel, it also lacks tone shaping options with just one 'tone' nob, no effects loop, and it looks like toaster. Nothing like other Oranges.

The Fender Hotrod Deluxe has a very nice clean channel in my opinion, but the OD channel just completly sucks balls, it's not even worth talking about unless you play very slightly distorted blues, and even then you could get something that sounds better. When you turn the gain up high, it just sounds awful. I also don't like the fact that the controls are at the back of the amp and that the reverb isn't footswitchable.

The Mesa F-50 has very nice cleans, in my opinion maybe not QUITE as nice as the Fender's, but it's pretty damn close and sounds very sweet in it's own way, Mesas tend to have far better cleans that most amps that are capable of high-gain. The OD channel is awsome, goes from light bluesy crunch all the way to pretty heavy rock sounds, with some tweaking you're able to get both very smooth distortion all the way to grunty gravelly overdriven sounds. Then for your more modern sounding heavy heavy stuff there is the contour feature, with makes the amp capable of all sorts of metal. I'd say the sound that it does best is heavy rock just before you get into metal territory, if you know what I mean. Also has an fx loop, reverb, and looks a lot nicer than the other two in my opinion.

Hope that helped.

Also, can you get an F-50 for $750 over there? Here in the UK they go for £600-800, which works out abit more expensive, lucky for you if you can. I'd definatly buy one for $750.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
personally id go for the fender hrd but id get a mi audio crunch box for gain. i dont have any experince on the mesa so i have no opinion. the orange is ok but waaaayy overpriced for what you get imo.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by Supersonic64
personally id go for the fender hrd but id get a mi audio crunch box for gain. i dont have any experince on the mesa so i have no opinion. the orange is ok but waaaayy overpriced for what you get imo.

If you heard the Mesa you'd probably change your mind, an amp's distortion is better than a pedal's 90% of the time.

I agree that the TT is FAR too much money for what it is also, that's another reason not to buy one.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
If you can find a used tt it's a good addition to any rig since they go for 300 used. I've seen dt's for less then 600 as well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I voted the Mesa but for the styles you want I'd look for a used JCM900 or JCM800. In your pricerange a 900 would be easier to find. Now, do you call a JCM900 a pure valve amp? It is basically a valve amp with a SS overdrive pedal jammed in front of it with no ability to bypass it. ie you can change it's gain and clipping but you are always running through it. It would pull off the styles you want nicely regardless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just got rid of a head and cabinet and bought a vypyr 60 and couldn't be happier
had it for about 6 months played 18 gigs with it and no problems and the sound is superb to say the least cut's right through the mix. I don't have to use any pedals or boards the amp is awesome check it out
Quote by Cathbard
I voted the Mesa but for the styles you want I'd look for a used JCM900 or JCM800. In your pricerange a 900 would be easier to find. Now, do you call a JCM900 a pure valve amp? It is basically a valve amp with a SS overdrive pedal jammed in front of it with no ability to bypass it. ie you can change it's gain and clipping but you are always running through it. It would pull off the styles you want nicely regardless.

I have looked into those marshalls however, sorry should have said this before, but I wont always be able to crank those at full volume etc...about 1/3 of my playing will be at bed room levels. Correct me if im wrong thats just what I have read/heard.

Quote by FuzzLove
Also, can you get an F-50 for $750 over there? Here in the UK they go for £600-800, which works out abit more expensive, lucky for you if you can. I'd definatly buy one for $750.

Well actually they go for like $799 so I would have to save up a little but in the end I think it will be worth from what you guys have said thank a lot . So Im guessing that the mesa would be my best bet, but also would it be worth getting the marshall? I have seen some going for as low as $550 for the head and the 4x12 in my local craiglist.

EDIT: Actually i just checked again and it was only the JCM 900 head that was going for $550 so I would still have to buy a cab so idk? What do you guys think?
Last edited by dizzle_312 at Jun 22, 2010,
The Mesa will be a lot more versatile and will have a nicer clean sound.
Here would any of these be good:

Its a '84 MARSHALL JCM 800 (MODEL 4103) 100W 2x12 COMBO - $650

or

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 Combo Amp - $500
401 combos are a bit crap to be honest. THe JCM800 sounds like a good deal but it'll sound like poo at low volumes.
it doesn't sound like poo at lower volumes, it's just going to sound have your typical over the top, larger than life Marshall roar.
Alright so now I just have to decide between the Marshall JCM 800 4103 and the Mesa Boogie F 50 would the marshall be louder because its a 2x12 or how does that effect the volume/tone?
I would take a Marshall over the Mesa any day of the week. I hate them, I can never get along with Mesas or their buzzy, chainsaw, brand of overdrive. The Marshall isn't going to be louder bc it's a 212. It's going to be louder bc its 100 watts and its a 212. Keep that in mind. (I THINK, I'm assuming that the 4103 is the combo version of the 2203? and the 4104 is the combo version of the 2204, someone can correct me).

Try them both, it'll be a difference in taste.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by dizzle_312
I have looked into those marshalls however, sorry should have said this before, but I wont always be able to crank those at full volume etc...about 1/3 of my playing will be at bed room levels. Correct me if im wrong thats just what I have read/heard.

I used my JCM900 as a practice amp for many years. It will turn down ok. Sure it sounds better cranked but why do you need perfection when you're just playing with yourself? It's there when you need it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry I was just looking at the guys advertisement for the amp again and didn't see anything about it being a tube amp. This is a tube amp right ahaha sorry for noob question
Definatly the Mesa. The JCM wont have as nice of cleans, plus the 4103 is a two channel I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which are kinda meh.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan