I built a Les Paul like guitar about 2 years ago then I realized... it kinda sucked and the action was horrible and wasn't playable. Now, I want to fix it.

It is in horrible shape but its fixable except the action. it is about a half inch off the frets and I have no idea how to fix it. I've tried adjusting the tune-o-matic bridge and the truss rod but that just warped the neck kind of (I moved it back) and the bridge doesn't go any lower.

There is also HORRIBLE fret buzz at the 13th fret.

What do I do?
Pics? A view of the entire length of the neck and body from the side (how you look at it when you're playing, except totally from the side, no view of the front) would be quite helpful. It sounds to me like you might not have any idea what you're doing while messing with the truss rod. It also sounds like you might not have built it with the proper neck angle or something.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
I'll get a picture up in a bit. It seems to me like the neck that we got is like "too short". Like, not elevated enough because there seems to be no solution. I might just buy a new neck.
It is very possible. You might be able to repair it by make a thicker heel, making the pocket thinner under it, or a combination of both. It also seems like you might have a body and bridge that require an angled neck and yours is straight. The pics will make things more clear.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Did you put a angle on your neck? If it has a 0* angle, that's your problem, Either make a angle insert for the pocket, or recess the TOM.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Er...we need to see the entire neck and body. The string spacing in one spot means nothing. It probably is the angle (or lack thereof), but it can't be diagnosed without seeing the entire guitar from the side.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
sorry, I don't have a camera where I am so I'm using my phone and the quality is pretty bad.

I mean, it is definitely "slanted" but I can't really describe it without a picture. I'll probably have to get it adjusted at the local music store.

try this? (pretty bad still)
Attachments:
phpIB6MioAM.jpg
Last edited by Soad_Soda at Jun 22, 2010,
Well, you can probably fix it yourself if you built it. It's just a matter of making sure of what the problem is. Just try to get a wider angle shot of it even if it's poor quality, it might make the problem clear.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
It has a angle. Is the action better at the higher frets then it is at the lower frets? The one picture appeared to show that
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
other way around, the lower frets have a better action than the higher. Around the 12th fret it is WAY too high, around the first, it is still high but slightly better..
The last picture shows a lot of relief (neck bow).
Is this accurate, or is it just the picture? If it's bowing, you need to tighten your truss rod.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
yeah, I am pretty sure that is right. I tried to adjust the truss rod and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I feel like if I just took off the neck and put a little piece of wood there to raise the neck it would help. Maybe that is ridiculous.
Nope. Here's my diagnosis.

You need to shim the neck upwards. Adjust the bridge until it's in the middle of it's positioning. (not high or low) Measure the action from the frets. Subtract a 1/16"
Make the shim and put it in.

The truss rod needs to be adjusted properly. (It has to settle after tightening, do a 1/4 turn at a time, then give it some time)

After these two things are done (do the truss first), re set up the bridge. That should do it.

Next time, use the setup thread in the EG forum, thanks.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jun 22, 2010,
I'll try that and let you know. Thanks everyone. I just couldn't figure it out on my own
It does seem that a shim might be in order. It's bad if your truss rod can't fix the neck bow, though. Try gauging the relief by fretting a note at the first fret and 14th fret, then measuring the gap at the sixth fret. If it turns out that the gap is rather large (more than a credit card's thickness) and it's heavily bowed but the truss rod is fully adjusted you'll need a more extensive repair than a shim. If the relief is acceptable a shim maybe be in order to make it play acceptably well. My Les Paul copy actually has a similar problem. Its truss rod is fully adjusted but there's still a little bit too much bow, so I compensated for it by shimming it and leveling the frets a bit. The action is still high, but it's playable.

Edit: @MW40 beat me to it :p

@Soad_Soda thanks for the compliment and good luck!
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jun 22, 2010,