I recently got a Randall RG100ES from trashedlostfdup (good guy to work with) and it arrived and everything was great. I knew about the head before hand and that it lacked a lot of gain and that most people expect you to be able to slay Pantera riffs right off the bat. I knew that I had to boost it with an overdrive and throw an eq or 2 at it to get a good metal sound. The thing is, I've done it all and it's still weak. Without pedals it has the gain of a Fulltone OCD.

I've heard that sometimes the main board is loose, I tightened it. I checked the whole board for bad components, they're all good. I mess around with settings, they're the heaviest I can get them. I have bass: 10, mids: 0, treble: 10, and gain: 10. Then I tried a 7 band EQ in the front and back, still weak. I've tried every distortion and overdrive pedal I own in front, still weak. I have the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive which is designed for boosting low gain amps into metal territory, with an EQ, mids scooped, sustain boost on, gain dimed, volume cranked, with hi output pickups, with the best cables I have, playing in drop C and I'm lucky to get a Crazy Train tone out of this thing much-less Pantera.

I've done all the homework I can and I've looked at every review and youtube video and I still can't get metal out of it. The only way is by throwing a metal muff through the clean channel which kind of defeats the purpose of getting an amp that didn't need a distortion pedal.

I could get new speakers in my cabinet and that would make it sound better, but that's not going to put more gain in it. Dimebag Darrel used a parametric EQ in the rear and I don't know much about parametrics, but I don't see it making this thing heavier. I've watched this video a dozen times of a guy running his guitar straight into the head with nothing else getting the tone close to what I want and it doesn't make any sense why he can get this tone and I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheB7agxFBE

Is there something broken I can fix, is there some mod I can do, a pedal or eq I can buy to fix this? I'm about ready to hurl this thing out a window and buy an MG series head because it has more gain which is really sad... Please, someone help me!?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
umm this might be obvious but is the volume on your guitar up all the way?
Quote by Funk Monk
What kind of guitar are you playing?

Its just a guitar I built with a dimebucker in the bridge, ash body. I also tried an EMG 81 and still nothing.

And yes... the volume is all the way up.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
He uses the wylde OD, which is voiced well for metal.

He mostly used the RG100es for the glam shit pantera did in the 80s.
That youtube video does not sound like the es, the es is a more classic amp, there isnt that much on board gain as far as im aware.

Maybe youre just expecting too much gain. Id suppose its the reason he switched to the warhead and whatnot.
Quote by xXBansheeXx

I've heard that sometimes the main board is loose, I tightened it. I checked the whole board for bad components, they're all good. I mess around with settings, they're the heaviest I can get them. I have bass: 10, mids: 0, treble: 10, and gain: 10. Then I tried a 7 band EQ in the front and back, still weak. I've tried every distortion and overdrive pedal I own in front, still weak. I have the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive which is designed for boosting low gain amps into metal territory, with an EQ, mids scooped, sustain boost on, gain dimed, volume cranked, with hi output pickups, with the best cables I have, playing in drop C and I'm lucky to get a Crazy Train tone out of this thing much-less Pantera.

Wait a minute, your mids are at 0?

Turn them up.

As for your problem, I don't know what to do.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
+1

Those aren't "heavy" settings, they're shit settings!

Any amp is going to sound pissweak thin with the mids at 0
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

Those aren't "heavy" settings, they're shit settings!

Any amp is going to sound pissweak thin with the mids at 0

HAHA! Thin? This thing is isn't thin at all with the mids off. It sounds best where it is, I hate mids. And besides, I've tried many different settings with mids, the problem is gain not my settings. It sounds great and full and well rounded tone... if you want to play AC/DC. I want to play Pantera.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Last edited by xXBansheeXx at Jun 22, 2010,
Sorry for OT, but which screws did you have to take out to remove the chassis from the case/open it up? I've been meaning to open up my RG100ES for a while but I can't tell which screws are safe to take out.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Sorry for OT, but which screws did you have to take out to remove the chassis from the case/open it up? I've been meaning to open up my RG100ES for a while but I can't tell which screws are safe to take out.

Its one of the easiest heads I've ever opened up. There are four bolts on the bottom near the feet. Those are the only ones that hold the head unit in place. Then to pull it out you will need to remove either the front or back cover plates which have like seven screws. Makes sure once you take the plate off that you unplug the reverb so it doesn't yank on the connectors.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by rokket2005
did you pull the treble knob?

The sustain boost, yes. the strange thing is on mine the boost is a switch not a pull knob. I've never seen that on any other. I'm pretty sure it's an 89' model, one of the carpet covered ones.

EDIT: I did a quick check, and the head I have is actually an RG100XP which is the same thing as the ES except it doesn't have the massive volume loss when you switch to the sustain boost. But the problem still stands there isn't enough gain. Does anyone know of any circuit modification that I can do to basically quadruple its gain without killing the cleans?
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Last edited by xXBansheeXx at Jun 22, 2010,
Firstly that is a horrible EQ setting...If you were to record or play in a band situation like that..just...blech...It might be for the best that it wouldn't even be able to be heard in the mix but it would still screw up everyone elses sound.

Are you using the low or hi input? What is your volume at? Roll your bass and treble back and turn up the mids a little, even just to 3 or 4 for the time being. Try using another cable between your guitar and the amp, try the guitars through another amp see if you're having the same problem. Turn down the gain on your overdrive pedal and put the volume up high instead.

Can you get us a sound clip? It's hard to tell if there's a problem with the amp or if you're just not happy with the sound.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by xXBansheeXx
I mess around with settings, they're the heaviest I can get them. I have bass: 10, mids: 0, treble: 10, and gain: 10.

I'm willing to bet this is why it sounds like crap.

Quote by xXBansheeXx
HAHA! Thin? This thing is isn't thin at all with the mids off. It sounds best where it is, I hate mids. And besides, I've tried many different settings with mids, the problem is gain not my settings. It sounds great and full and well rounded tone... if you want to play AC/DC. I want to play Pantera.

Sorry, but turning your mids to 0 on anything sounds like utter shit.

The guitar is a mid instrument, by turning them all off and cranking your treble and bass, you become a bass guitar and cymbals

Oh and you just said it sounds "great and full" where the settings are... Then how exactly can the amp sound "weak" if it already sounds "great and full?"

I see you live in Phoenix, bring it over to my house, I'll make that amp rip your head off.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 22, 2010,
I have literally tried everything you just suggested except making a sound clip. I'll try and that tonight after work. The thing is my ears can tell the difference between bad settings and low gain. This is without a doubt low gain. It sounds the same no matter what the settings are and scooping the mids sounds the best for my style until I try cranking it then I need to put some mids in there otherwise it gets muddy. Has anyone tried a parametric EQ? That's one of the few things I haven't tried and I don't know what it would do to my tone versus a graphic EQ. It still wont add gain though, that's what I need.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by MatrixClaw

The guitar is a mid instrument, by turning them all off and cranking your treble and bass, you become a bass guitar and cymbals

Oh and you just said it sounds "great and full" where the settings are... Then how exactly can the amp sound "weak" if it already sounds "great and full?"

I see you live in Phoenix, bring it over to my house, I'll make that amp rip your head off.

It sounds great and full EQ-wise, but the distortion isn't metal its soft rock. Just trust me guys, its not the amp settings. No matter how crappy you THINK they are, it lacks GAIN, not EQ.

And I would love for you to prove that this amp isn't complete crap, but I'm not going to lug my whole rig up into Phoenix (I'm in south Gilbert) just to have the same problem up there. So if you wanted to come to me, I would love you to death. But we don't all have free time, so I don't expect you to.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by xXBansheeXx
And I would love for you to prove that this amp isn't complete crap, but I'm not going to lug my whole rig up into Phoenix (I'm in south Gilbert) just to have the same problem up there. So if you wanted to come to me, I would love you to death. But we don't all have free time, so I don't expect you to.

I'm in Mesa

And on many amps, the mid knob acts as a second gain control, some amps the treble knob does this. Have you tried something like, say - Treble 6, Mids 4, Bass 5?

What are your settings on the EQ and Boost? You should NOT be scooping the mids on the EQ if you already have them completely scooped on the head, this is going to take out even more gain. Try boosting a bit on the head and scooping with the EQ if that's the sound you want.

Also, if you're running the OD like you would on a tube amp (Output maxed, gain 0), then you can't expect to get much gain out of it, there's no tubes to push, all you'd be doing is adding clipping to the sound. The OD will more than likely muddy up your tone, use the EQ to bring the clarity back in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 22, 2010,
I haven't ventured much farther than my trusted SS's, so my OD has the level at about 6 and the gain at 10. My 7-band EQ has a typical scoop with the low mids dropped, and the high mids and treble boosted. I'll try boosting the amps mids and resetting the graphic EQ when I get home from work. However, unless this made an astronomical change it would still lack gain. I've heard a lot about the MT-2's being used as a boost. I tried mine and it helped a bit but it kind of made my amp sound like an MT-2 which is bad. Any thoughts?
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Let me set up sort of a scenario so I can get the best sound out of my amp before I start making other decisions.

So, you have the Randall RG100ES XP, a 7-band EQ, a Zakk Wylde OD, a Boss DS-1, a EHX Metal Muff, and a Boss MT-2. Between the effects loop, the amp settings, pedal and EQ settings, what would you put where with what settings to get the thickest heaviest modern metal tone?
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
I pretty much have mine set to Bass 6, Mid 5, Treble 6 and it's fine. Treble knob pulled, of course. Way more gain than I need.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
sounds like your getting clean sound too?
try lightly tapping on the output transistors (the ones on top. usually the one far left.)
the solder joints get loose sometimes.
Did it come with a footswitch? I don't own the amp, but I've heard that you can run the clean and distortion channels at the same time, and you can't switch out of that mode without a footswitch. Maybe that's the issue. Other than that, I'd assume that it's FUBAR.
Gear (the stuff that matters, anyway)

LTD Viper 401 (EMG 85 bridge, 81 neck)
Randall RG100SC G2
Last edited by espVIP3R at Jun 26, 2010,