In the new-ish Acura commercials they feature different guys with different really fancy items; such as a unique pool table, a custom fountain pen AND a guy with a tube amp. My question is has anyone seen this and did you notice the size of the tubes in the amp? They are possibly three times the size of an 'average' tube. Does anyone have any info on this? Maybe even know what kind of amp this is, and why the tubes are so HUGE?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
So we don't have Acura in Australia so I haven't seen the ad, but I would imagine that the super tubes are fakes.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Odds are they are KT88 tubes. could you post the video, please?

do they look like that?

edit:

found your vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RRGIWp2Kgw

Yes, those are KT88 tubes. The amp is a Jolida JD 502b

EDIT2: just so you know, that isn't a guitar amp, that's an audio amp that you'd use with a hi-fi.

EDIT3: To answer the last question, the tubes are so huge because they push about 50 watts each. They are primarily used in bass amps because of the massive power they put out, but a lot of people use them to hot-rod Marshall 1959 plexis. Example: Slash, and Jimmy Page used KT88s.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 22, 2010,
Lt. Shinysides, you are the freaking man.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.