I was wondering what kind of sound you would get if you put an EMG 81 in the neck and bridge positions. Sound demos would be cool.
Kirk Hammett's EMG-KH21 pickup set...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
scott middleton from cancer bats does it in his signature first act too
36 Crazyfists
Trivium
Machine Head
August Burns Red

And I like my penis. Because of it's existence, every morning I can look past the man thongs, pink duvet cover and a-Ha CDs and say to myself, "You're a man."

Quote by archenemyfan
umm,whats the point?you will get the same lifeless tone,but a little bit warmer and smoother

Lifeless???????????????

Rhetorical question, Your are a newbie?
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by archenemyfan
its up to you to decide.. ..I want get the true sound when I pick a note and feedback..thats why i said it is lifeless ..

its just that I hate active pups,I rather eat my gentlemen vegetables rather than listen to another EMG 81 in the neck.

The sheer amount of quality gear the guy you quoted has is really enough of a reason for me to think he knows a thing or two about picking notes and feedback, and true sound. It really is nothing to base any of that off of, but thats just what I think. That, and I disagree with you about EMGs.

81/81 is what Hammet uses, and while I don't really like him as a guitar player his tone is pretty dece.
Quote by archenemyfan
its up to you to decide.. ..I want get the true sound when I pick a note,and I want to get feedback..thats why I said it is lifeless ..

EMGs have a mostly flat and wide frequency response. They give your 'true' sound.

Passive pickups strongly colour the sound, which is what makes them sound 'lively' but also means the pickup is far less transparent and natural sounding.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Nickpocalypse
The sheer amount of quality gear the guy you quoted has is really enough of a reason for me to think he knows a thing or two about picking notes and feedback, and true sound. It really is nothing to base any of that off of, but thats just what I think. That, and I disagree with you about EMGs.

well of course an ibanez fanboy is going to be partial to passives.

SubZ305 personally I find the 81 a bit too harsh in the bridge position, and there is a lack of warmth too. ive used it many times in the neck position and it actually served pretty well as a neck pup. what i like to recommend to people is the 60 alnico for the bridge posish. better midrange and not so harsh up top. and do the 18v mod if you desire a tighter palm mute repsonse.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Nickpocalypse

81/81 is what Hammet uses, and while I don't really like him as a guitar player his tone is pretty dece.

no problem,thats just my opinion about EMG's,and like the guy above me said,I am an ibanez fanboy so I am going to be partial to passives.

having said that,I have to confess that all of the guitars I own have passives,but I think I have enough experience to talk about EMG's as I've played many guitars with actives and have owned one

I am sorry I did not mean to start a flame war..I'll remove my comment

but I have to say,do people get automatically disqualified to talk about gear if they have less than 10 guitars or a sig?looks like to me...
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by STABxYOU
EMGs have a mostly flat and wide frequency response. They give your 'true' sound.

Passive pickups strongly colour the sound, which is what makes them sound 'lively' but also means the pickup is far less transparent and natural sounding.

ah right! thats the word..natural..not true
I've tried that combo on a Jackson SLSMG. Can't say there was much difference compared to 85 on that position. 85 was propably fatter sounding but that's just an opinion too general. Then again, I don't use neck pup a lot.

One thing's for quite sure though: 81 will sound worse on cleans if that's what you like to do on your neck pup.
All this EMG hate is retarded. They're some of the best sounding pickups ever made for a variety of styles.

As far as an 81 in the neck, it doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not sure why you would want a brighter, harsher neck tone. That would seem to sort of defeat the purpose of switching to the neck pickup in the first place.

I think the 85X is by far the best EMG available for the neck position.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
As a dual EMG 81 guitar owner, I tell you I could use more versatility. If you get a guitar like that learn to use the volume pot, you can get good cleans from it that way.
Its not only the EMG hate here, its how smart people think they are.
Great so you're at home, a bedroom rock hero still in high school, sitting at your keyboard thinking you better spread the word about how bad EMG's are because.....uhhhh because they are active and uhh, sound bad. Yes two amazing reasons!

If EMG's were really that bad no one would buy them and play them, which is not the case. If ESP for example had problems selling EMG equipped guitars surely they'd put in something else. Yes yes I know its all a big conspiracy and they are shoving it down our throats blah blah cause EMG wants world domination!

Try them, play them, if you like them buy them! What is it to anyone else what you play? Besides, the bs opinion that EMG's give off bad tone....uhh I've heard plenty of you guys here who use passives and have tone I didn't enjoy, but does it matter? As long as you enjoy it who gives a sh*t.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jun 22, 2010,
Well, for one, you'll get pretty similar sounds out of both pickups, but the neck pickup will be more mellow because of the placement from the bridge.

You're pretty much going to get a guitar that sounds the same no matter where you have the pickup selector.

Though I've heard the 85/81 (not 81/85) combo sounds really good.