Alright, so I had an idea. Building cheap little dual core PC's, and intergrating a guitar link. So taking the shell off a UCG102 guitar link (you hook it up by USB, to use in Guitar Rig etc), and mount it inside the computer. Then mount the input jack in the front panel, and the output jack on the back. All software and stuff would be preconfigured. So basically people could set this computer up in their lounge room, plug their guitar in and open Guitar Rig, then shred away.

At a rough guess, these PC's would cost about $1000, because Guitar Rig is not cheap, unless someone knows of a free/cheap alternative. Thoughts on this?
Well Guitar Rig's "Session" version comes with an interface module that would almost fit perfectly mounted inside a PC. You should check that little guy out because that would be really sharp.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
It sounds like a cool idea. The only problem I see is the cost. I mean, for $1000 people can get some pretty nice gear, and you're essentially making a device that is going to compete with things like amps. So I guess it's just going to come down to how much people are willing to pay for the convenience of it all being integrated into one device and set up. To be honest I'm not exactly sure how big your market would be or if people would buy something like that.

If you do do it, I would probably take orders and then make them or something cause I could see you getting in pretty big debt fast if the plan doesn't take off and you order up the materials before you are assured you can make money. This would probably not be the best idea from the standpoint of running a quick business, but it would for sure be safer.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Mind_Reader7
unless someone knows of a free/cheap alternative. Thoughts on this?

someone said I can get banned for presenting free/cheap alternatives
^ no, you can get banned for presenting illegal alternatives. there are lots of legal free/cheap options out there.

the biggest issue i see with this is that the UCG102 probably isnt very good quality. looks downright shoddy to me. i would rather pay more to have something better.

you could get something a bit bigger, and use the space for the second cd drive if you wanted to do this. make a custom faceplate to have all the controls and connections and stuff.
It'd be easier to get a real interface and you'd get alot better quality out of it.

Sure it'd cost more, but there's some stuff you can cut off to make it cheaper. And if you're going to be paying for it, you might as well go for reasonable quality.
I could build you a better studio including the PC for the same price...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by jof1029
the biggest issue i see with this is that the UCG102 probably isnt very good quality. looks downright shoddy to me. i would rather pay more to have something better.
Nope, they're quite fine. I wouldn't just have it sitting inside the PC, it would be restrutured.
Quote by jof1029
you could get something a bit bigger, and use the space for the second cd drive if you wanted to do this. make a custom faceplate to have all the controls and connections and stuff.
I was more or less thinking a mATX case, or a HTPC case, and maybe just drilling some holes. Diagrams will follow if I decide this is a good idea.
Ok, I can do these for $600 shipped, not including Guitar Rig. So I'm still working on getting that price lower.
Acmebargig's SHRED is as good IMO as Guitar Rig and it's FREE. The new SHRED 1.5 which is in final beta testing has a standalone app as well as the usual VST so it would be a free alternative and it's got amazing features including dual Cabs complete with great built-in IR's, A whole selection of amps that are great - a new Pedal Board and rack effects too (their Noise Gate is amazing). The new SHRED 2.0 commercial version will cost $25 when it's released in a month or so but will offer 25 heads and lots of new goodies too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Acmebargig's SHRED is as good IMO as Guitar Rig and it's FREE. The new SHRED 1.5 which is in final beta testing has a standalone app as well as the usual VST so it would be a free alternative and it's got amazing features including dual Cabs complete with great built-in IR's, A whole selection of amps that are great - a new Pedal Board and rack effects too (their Noise Gate is amazing). The new SHRED 2.0 commercial version will cost $25 when it's released in a month or so but will offer 25 heads and lots of new goodies too.
I'll check it out, thanks.
Audio interfaces are built around being external as this helps keeping the interference out of the audio chain. I just can't see mounting any type of audio interfaces inside a computer case being all that helpful...

If you have not checked out PC Perspectives website, do so as they have a nice 3 or 4 system guide on what parts to look into for a PC build.

Here's the direct link to the mid ranged system aimed at just under $1,000
http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php?guide3=y#guide3
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
Audio interfaces are built around being external as this helps keeping the interference out of the audio chain. I just can't see mounting any type of audio interfaces inside a computer case being all that helpful...

If you have not checked out PC Perspectives website, do so as they have a nice 3 or 4 system guide on what parts to look into for a PC build.

Here's the direct link to the mid ranged system aimed at just under $1,000
http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php?guide3=y#guide3
I can build PC's. The shipping is a deal killer though. Somtimes sites have awesome shpping deals, so I stock up on parts then.
Honestly, if you're spending more than $300 on your PC build, you've spent too much on it.
Quote by lockwolf
Honestly, if you're spending more than $300 on your PC build, you've spent too much on it.

just no, thats funny though. when you can find me a quad core, 3 gigs of ram, motherboard, dvd burner, power supply, audio card and video card for under $300 let me know.
Quote by z4twenny
just no, thats funny though. when you can find me a quad core, 3 gigs of ram, motherboard, dvd burner, power supply, audio card and video card for under $300 let me know.

I'm sure he could find you all of that, it just wouldn't be very good quality :P Also, I think this kind of thing would only be useful if it was in a really small form factor, I don't know why... I'd probably rather have my PC rack mounted with my interface though than have it built in, and if you took the case off it could start picking up interference within the case, but don't quote me on that :P
Alright guys, last night I had an even better idea. For $100, I could wire these babies up for use in every PC, if people are willing to spend 30 minutes installing them (reqiures you to drill 2 hols, and you'll need an 8mm drill piece). The fact I'm from Australia, and not China, I could provide very detailed instruction even the stupidest people could understand.
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Alright guys, last night I had an even better idea. For $100, I could wire these babies up for use in every PC, if people are willing to spend 30 minutes installing them (reqiures you to drill 2 hols, and you'll need an 8mm drill piece). The fact I'm from Australia, and not China, I could provide very detailed instruction even the stupidest people could understand.

this brings us back to the big question of:

why?

i cant think of a single reason why anyone would reasonably want to mount a cheap interface inside of a pc, rather than just doing what works for hundreds of thousands of other people and just plugging it in normally?
Quote by TheDriller
this brings us back to the big question of:

why?

i cant think of a single reason why anyone would reasonably want to mount a cheap interface inside of a pc, rather than just doing what works for hundreds of thousands of other people and just plugging it in normally?
For $100, you get the quality very expensive equipment, awesome recording quality, infinite pedals. I personally think people would rather have things mounted inside their PC than cords everywhere

Edit:
Love the avatar by the way. Best. Game. Ever.
Last edited by Mind_Reader7 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by z4twenny

Let me see here. My most recent PC build:

Intel Core i5 Quad Core+ Motherboard with onboard vid and sound = $180
4gb DDR3 ram = $40
Generic DVD Burner = $20
Case and PSU = $50
Hard Drive = Free since theres no point in getting a new one when I've already got a 1TB HD. If I needed one, $30 for a 500gb

Total = $290 minus HD, $320 with

Sure, Onboard sound and vid does take a little bit of processing power but not enough to hinder things. Though I did love proving you wrong
I'd rather an amp, a fuzz and a well placed mic. Personally, i've started moving away from the '1's and o's' tone and started doing things on tape rather then computers, and it sounds much better.
Adding a 1/4" guitar input and even a XLR Mic input would make it a true recording interface - building the XLR into it would open up even more options although it would be a bit trickier.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by lockwolf
Let me see here. My most recent PC build:

Intel Core i5 Quad Core+ Motherboard with onboard vid and sound = $180
4gb DDR3 ram = $40
Generic DVD Burner = $20
Case and PSU = $50
Hard Drive = Free since theres no point in getting a new one when I've already got a 1TB HD. If I needed one, $30 for a 500gb

Total = $290 minus HD, $320 with

Sure, Onboard sound and vid does take a little bit of processing power but not enough to hinder things. Though I did love proving you wrong
I hope you're joking about those prices. The lowest i5 is worth $180 alone.
Quote by Mind_Reader7
I hope you're joking about those prices. The lowest i5 is worth $180 alone.

Want to dig up my receipt from about 4 months ago when I bought it?
Quote by lockwolf
Want to dig up my receipt from about 4 months ago when I bought it?

im calling you out i just checked new egg and your prices seem off. like way off

Intel Core i5 Quad Core + Motherboard - with onboard vid and sound = $294
4gb DDR3 ram = $100
Generic DVD Burner = $20
Case and PSU = $50
Hard Drive = Free since theres no point in getting a new one when I've already got a 1TB HD. If I needed one, $50 for a 500gb

now when we add this together its a little over $500 and thats before tax (which is more accurate)

lets also not forget most people need a kb/m, monitor and OS (and really onboard video is almost useless, if you want to watch movies or play any games you need at least a crappy video card) and if you're using onboard video and sound it takes a lot bigger hit on your cpu than you apparently think. the idea is to free up every last drop of power for your DAW.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by z4twenny
im calling you out i just checked new egg and your prices seem off. like way off

I don't use Newegg. Frys Electronics is where I got my stuff from. If you watch their ads, you can find some shit killer deals. They were clearing out the older Core i5s right after the new ones came out (The Core i5 750 which retailed at $196). They knocked a few bucks off and threw in a Mobo for $180.
^ i got a frys right around the corner from me and i've never found anything there cheaper than newegg - though i will admit i don't keep too much of an eye on them for just that reason
Quote by z4twenny
^ i got a frys right around the corner from me and i've never found anything there cheaper than newegg - though i will admit i don't keep too much of an eye on them for just that reason

Yeah, if you check their ads, sometimes you find crazy deals (like my Core i5, it was in an ad). I check the ads quite frequently since I can usually find something I'd need for cheap. Their Friday ads in my area are 4 giant pages in the local newspaper.
Quote by Mind_Reader7
For $100, you get the quality very expensive equipment, awesome recording quality, infinite pedals. I personally think people would rather have things mounted inside their PC than cords everywhere

Edit:
Love the avatar by the way. Best. Game. Ever.

Yeah, but the issue is you don't, you'd be playing through a poor preamp, so it wouldn't sound that great, I'm sure these little USB things sell for like £20 on ebay from china, they really suck, people would just be better off getting an interface if they wanted one, or just buying a usb one of ebay if they wanted a shitty one. And I would rather pay £20 for shit, than $100 for shit inside my computer.
Mind_Reader7
Hey man...I'll license you to distribute Shred 1.5x with your PCs, just let me know and I'll email the ppr work to you..Shred 1.5x is freeware, but its non distributable freeware...What that means is anyone can download it and use it freely, they just cannot distribute it. However, having said that, if someone wants to distribute it, we almost never have a problem with it. We only ask one thing, and that is that the distributor keeps track of the number of copies they have distributed and reports that to us monthly. So, its a pretty easy deal, we just want to know how many copies are floating around

Sound OK?
km