I am going to buy a new amp for my larger outdoor gigs. I have three amps that I'm currently looking at buying. All the amps

1.Genz Benz ShuttleMAX Series STL12.0 w/ Markbass 108 8x10 1200W cab

2.Ampeg SVT-4PRO w/ Hartke HX810 HyDrive 8x10 2000W cab

3.Mesa Boogie Big Block Titan V12 w/ Mesa Boogie Power House 1200W Cab

I play mainly Gothic, Power, Sludge, Doom, and Black Metal.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'd go the Ampeg. They're beasts.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I was thinking ampeg or the mesa might be better than the Genz Benz.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I would definitely go with the Mesa

the cabs are better too
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
The Mesa has better tone than the Ampeg when cranked.
I'm biased anyway because I can't stand ampegs

but the mesa cabs are godly
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I'll get the mesa cab since the consignment shop has one for $600.

Though stuck between the mesa and the ampeg heads though.
Id go Mesa. Ampegs are like cockroaches. There are so many of them.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I would make sweet love to that mesa head
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

The whole hate ampeg because they're popular thing always amuses me. Check out both amps and decide which one you like better. Both ampeg and mesa make great amps that are some of the best on the market.
I don't hate ampeg because they're popular, I hate them because I think they sound like arse.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Lazarus.Bird
The whole hate ampeg because they're popular thing always amuses me. Check out both amps and decide which one you like better. Both ampeg and mesa make great amps that are some of the best on the market.

No one hates them because theyre popular, people hate them because you can only get one tone out of them. And its not a good tone. And theyre very overpriced

Which leads me to the OP. Get the mesa IMO
Quote by Lazarus.Bird

I dont hate ampeg because their popular. I just hear that same tone almost every show I see and I get tired of it. Plus, I think any other moderately priced amp can get close to that sound If they're EQ is right.
You think Ampeg is overpriced and Mesa isn't?

And I get versatile tone out of mine. I'm not saying you have to like them, but plenty of people love Ampeg and it seems the people who don't have odd reasons for it.
Both are very expensive, but I dont think Ampeg's tone is just...okay. Its not bad or terrible and at times It can be good, but the times that I hear a meh ampeg tone far outweigh the times I hear good ones. Im not against ampeg, I just dont advocate them. If you are happy with the tone and want to spend the money, then I can understand buying one.
Last edited by c3powil at Jun 22, 2010,
Completely understandable. Didn't mean for my original post to irritate anyone. I love my ampeg and the tone I get out of it. I also got all my gear for about half retail in brand new condition, so the price didn't bother me. I am also a big Mesa fan
I vote Mesa.

The Ampeg may be good, but the Mesa is fantastic, and it's actually worth its ridiculous sticker price.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yea Mesa may be overpriced but so is a Ferrari. If you can afford the luxury of more tone, go for it. From what I've seen they blow the others away (though I think the Ampeg you picked out sounds really good too but I would pair it with a different cab.)

The only problem I've heard from people about Mesa is having a hard time dialing in the actual tone they want. In my opinion these people are simply lazy, rich boys who aren't intelligent about their instruments/equipment. Granted I'm not saying I'm a genius but if I drop that kind of cash on it I wouldn't mind spending a few hours in front of it dialing it in to find the sound that I really want.
They are all fine amplifiers, but the Mesa Big Block Titan is a monster with fantastic tone and a lot of versatility. I'd go with that one. And if you are considering a Genz Benz and are looking at big amps, take a look at the GBE 1200. It is a very underrated amp. I'd still go with the Mesa, but I'd be almost as happy with the GBE 1200.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I just tried both the ampeg and the Mesa.

I think I'll Go with the mesa.