At first I thought about getting the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded ($800) but then I decided to go for something a little cheaper that's comparable to the $800 Les Paul guitar, and Ibanez came to mind. The naming conventions of Ibanez is a bit confusing. I prefer to use Ibanez in a studio setting where sound quality is important, and cosmetics is not just like the Gibson LP Studio Faded to the standard. No chinese-made guitars please. I assume with Ibanez, I can get one that's less than $700 with similar qualities as the Gibson LPSF.
The one that's supposed to be closest to a Les Paul is the Jetking 1. I have one and can say that it is pretty spot on to a Les Paul sound. Unfortunately they discontinued the Jetking 1 and the rest of the series has single coils.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
You could just buy a used Studio? You can get one for easily $600. If not $500.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
You could just buy a used Studio? You can get one for easily $600. If not $500.

I would like to keep my options open without limiting myself to one guitar.

Just curious. What is considered the "standard" electric guitar of Ibanez? I'm assuming the RG Prestige, but I could be wrong. Then what is the stripped down version (cosmetic-wise, sound and hardware remains unchanged) of Ibanez's standard guitar?
Quote by Brncao
I would like to keep my options open without limiting myself to one guitar.

Just curious. What is considered the "standard" electric guitar of Ibanez? I'm assuming the RG Prestige, but I could be wrong. Then what is the stripped down version (cosmetic-wise, sound and hardware remains unchanged) of Ibanez's standard guitar?

Ibanez really isn't like Gibson in that way. The standard guitar is the RG. At least, it is their most identifiable guitar. When people think of Ibanez they almost always think of RG, and then the next would probably be S.

Whereas Gibson has 3 or 4 main different shapes, Ibanez has many more, such as RG, RGA, RGD, S, SA, X, ART, ARX, etc. You can find all their current production models at their site

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/home

Any shape model can be prestige - all prestige means is high end. The point after the normal letter model's that are made in other asian countries, and start getting made in Japan.

So, yes, you will probably want a prestige. Just check out the link and see what you like.

The different models have different necks though. The most commonly used one is the Wizard II, or the Wizard Prestige if you get a Prestige, but not all the shapes have that neck (I'm pretty sure the AR's don't.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

Ibanez DN400 ^

Ibanez SZR720

Ibanez ART400

Ibanez ART320

Ibanez ART300

basically a setneck mahogany bodied guitar with passive pickups. I think one of those has actives though, the DN I think. Also a TOM and stopbar tailpiece will help to get a LP/SG tone.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 22, 2010,
ok I should probably throw Les Paul out of the equation since this is confusing.

Basically this is what I'm asking:

I'm just looking for a non-fancy Ibanez guitar at a lower cost from its standard counterpart, and I'm not talking about chinese made electric guitars, but stripped down in cosmetics only. Sound and quality should remain unchanged. More research away! Hmm I should probably look at the pickups used on these guitars. That said, what would you recommend for genres like rock to metal? Mostly modern music.
I suppose the Rg1570 could be seen as the 'standard' Ibanez model but to be honest I'm not quite sure what it is exactly you're looking for. I mean Les Pauls are hugely different from Ibanez's super strats in terms of feel, tonality, features etc.. what exactly is it you're looking for in a guitar
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I don't get it... when you say you want something comparable to a les paul, do you mean that you actually want something from Ibanez that's going to sound similar? Or you just want something that is in the same price range?
BTW Ibanez is a Japanese brand. They only make a few models of guitar in China, the rest in Indonesia, Korea, and the most expensive Prestiges ($1000-$2500) and more expensive J-Customs (???$2500+???) are made in Japan, and are in many cases better than American Gibsons as far as build quality goes.

From the sound of things, I'm guessing that you're a touch ignorant and arrogant (USA lolz). So I'd conclude in saying Ibanez probably isn't for you because you "don't want that ricer garbage".
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 22, 2010,
I knew I shouldn't have said Les Paul... Let's pretend I never said Les Paul in the first place.

I'm just looking for something else. Gibson is too expensive. I'm still researching for my first electric guitar.
The RG is ibanez's standard electric guitar.no matter what it costs,or even if it is made in china,if its still a RG ,it is ibanez's standard electric guitar.get it?

comparing normal ibanez's to prestiges is like comparing an epiphone to a gibson,or a LTD to an ESP.prestiges are high end versions of normal ibanez's(at first there was no prestige,and only after '89 or something they made a line called prestige)

the RG1451 is the no nonsense,most basic and the cheapest prestige guitar up to date.nothing except for the pups are downgraded in this model..hardware stays the same.but it doesnt have fancy inlays,fancy paints or binding etc. etc. but all those things are cosmetic

ibanez RG's feels and sounds vastly different to LP's or other gibsons.body wood,pickups,neck dimensions,every thing is different..you cannot compare them at all.

the cheapest prestige costs 799,and all the other ibanez's will have a noticeable difference in quality,hardware,finshing et. etc.

I'm sorry you cannot get a stripped down high quality guitar for 500$..it just doesnt work that way..if you want proper prestige quality(which I think is better than the USA gibson quality at that price)you have to atleast spend 1000$ and get a RG1570 or a 1550
I would suggest trying to find a Gibson lawsuit era Ibanez. Great guitars, and they got sued for a reason!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Brncao

I don't know where you live, but why don't you just go to a store and actually play guitars, instead of wasting time on here. How do you even know if you'll like playing Gibsons or Ibanez's? You may love something completely different. You need to play stuff before you can label it or hate it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm with the 'go out and try a bunch of different guitars' crowd. You can't figure out which guitar is going to work best from behind a computer.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...