Anyone had any experience of a Black Limba body? Is it all it's cracked up to be? How's the tone - lots of mid, not too mushy?

Thanks.
For a solid body electric guitar, they sound just like any other material that's stiff and stable enough to hold the whole thing together.
I've got a korina (limba) body on my 2nd custom build and its fantastic. Absolutely love it.

Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Very good looking guitar, like it was born in a forest. What's the tone of this bad boy like?

Quote by CustomAxe
I've got a korina (limba) body on my 2nd custom build and its fantastic. Absolutely love it.

Not sure I follow your logic - the body of a guitar is not simply a case of holding it together. The material is not homogeneous. Just as the inside of your car is not a vessel to get from one point to another - it has a feel, it's a place.

Quote by Tinderwet
For a solid body electric guitar, they sound just like any other material that's stiff and stable enough to hold the whole thing together.
Quote by Nostoi
Not sure I follow your logic - the body of a guitar is not simply a case of holding it together. The material is not homogeneous. Just as the inside of your car is not a vessel to get from one point to another - it has a feel, it's a place.

If you follow carefully what I wrote, you may notice the words "stiff and stable enough". With that I meant the following:

1. Stiff enough: not killing resonance significantly.

2. Stable enough: be able to hold the neck, the pickups, the bridge etc.

I'm sorry if me approaching it from what may seem like an overly physical view point bothers you, but that's my opinion about this whole "body wood" topic. If you can tell apart a black limba and a let's say a mahogany or ash bodied electric guitar upon hearing, I tip my hat to you.
Quote by Tinderwet

That's all that deserves.

Anyhoo, I've got a limba (black korina) bodied-guitar, albeit a semi-hollow one; Thinline Telecaster style, to be precise. Comparing it to other Thinline Teles made of ash, the tone of mine is much ''rounder'' and a little deeper; it seems to sustain about as well as the ash bodies. Compared to a mahogany Thinline, mine has slightly clearer bass response but is ever so slightly less resonant.
I'm planning on making a solid body guitar using black korina at some point, if my Thinline is anything to go by and if the limba-bodied Flying Vs I've played are any indication, black korina as a solid body should basically provide a tone close to mahogany only with more precise bass and treble, better sustain (I've found that woods that don't resonate so well as semi-hollow bodies resonate better as solid bodies and vice-versa) and of course it's a bit tougher than mahogany is. I'm basically theorising that it should be like mahogany with a hint of ash, though whether that is how it pans out remains to be seen (well, heard).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Nostoi,

It sounds amazing . Dimarzio pups, string thru body tonepros bridge. Coil taps on all the pickups. Definitely a tremendously versatile axe, and the neck plays like butter. And it weighs pretty much what a Parker weighs, incredibly light.
Sounds promising. I'm having something similar with DiMarzio's, except with a Floyd Rose, imported. Will upload pictures when it arrives.

Thanks for the clarification, Tinderwet. Will let you know if I can discern a difference between the black limba and a plank of plywood

Quote by CustomAxe
Nostoi,

It sounds amazing . Dimarzio pups, string thru body tonepros bridge. Coil taps on all the pickups. Definitely a tremendously versatile axe, and the neck plays like butter. And it weighs pretty much what a Parker weighs, incredibly light.
Quote by Tinderwet

ಠ_ಠ

Anway, to me and a lot of people, it's like a slightly brighter mahogany. Great tonewood. Think of it as the brightest, most resonant piece of mahogany.

EDIT: And thats a beautiful guitar, Custom!
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Thanks dude, it's one of my favorites. Not quite as good as my custom dragonburst LP tonally (I blame the Bareknuckles in the dragonburst), but almost right up there.