1 7%
Esp Ltd
6 40%
Other
5 33%
None
2 13%
Voters: 15.
Hi, i really want to get a Les Paul shaped guitar for around the £400 max price tag.
Basically want to get as close as possible to guns n roses sound and tones.

Iv considered:
Epiphone Standard Plus Top
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Esp LTD EC Range...

If anyone can please let me know their opinions and experiences.
i keep getting told different things from guitar shops but maybe there trying to just sell me something. they tell me epiphones are best for the range, then the esp.

please help, much appreciated!

thank you
I know Tokai puts out some good ones in your area. Also I think Edwards?

But I do know for the US, Agiles are great.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I have tried a few epi's and a few LTD EC's in various price ranges, and I can tell you this both brands seem pretty even handed as far as quality and workmanship goes. So whichever you chose, it will basically boil down to the "options" you like. while LTD offers S/D's and EMG's, they may be too hot for the GNR sound, but that'll be up to you to decide. But either way, once you put the alcino pro II humbuckers in either guitar, it will certainly "sing" like Slashes Les Paul!
Not too much experience in other guitars but I love GNR too! I play a Les Paul Studio through a marshall AVT275 and can get pretty much the exact GNR sound.

I have a friend who plays an Epiphone Les Paul shape and through my Marshall he gets pretty much the same sound. I think it has alot to do with the amp too but if you pair the Marshall with the Epiphone you'll get the GNR sound.

guitar solo lessons
If you can swing a used Edwards/Tokai/Burny/Greco/Orville, that'd be great.
New, the Michael Kelly stuff's alright, but I'd very heavily reccomend a Washburn WI66 pro.
Real duncans, good specs. plays well (I've used one). Amazing value.

Punches well above it's weight.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/washburn-wi66-pro-electric-guitar-flamed-honeyburst--44656
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Rautio
Agree on post above, Epiphones are good replica quality for the price.

Are you kidding me? They're alright, but have shoddy wood, pickups, factory setup, finish, tops, acoustic qualities etc.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Thanks for the replies so far really appreciated.
Think i might end up going for the epi soon
Quote by charles_ebarb
I have tried a few epi's and a few LTD EC's in various price ranges, and I can tell you this both brands seem pretty even handed as far as quality and workmanship goes. So whichever you chose, it will basically boil down to the "options" you like. while LTD offers S/D's and EMG's, they may be too hot for the GNR sound, but that'll be up to you to decide. But either way, once you put the alcino pro II humbuckers in either guitar, it will certainly "sing" like Slashes Les Paul!

Hey do epi do a version with these humbuckers in it already?

thanks
Don't worry about the Alnico II Prop pickups. They won't get you Slash's tone at all with most amplifiers. The point of the Alnico II Pros is they are really low output and have a flat, characterless tone. What that means is it lets the amp do almost all the work in terms of defining your tone and the most your guitar contributes is the resonance of the wood. Basically, Alnico II Pros will make you sound less like Slash (or those sorts of tones) than any other pickup unless you have his exact guitar and amp. On the other hand if you did have his actual guitar and his actual amp, the Alnico II Pros would get you closer to his sound.

Since you're on a budget of £400 for a guitar, you obviously aren't going to be buying Slash's guitar form him any time soon, nor his amp. So stay away from Alnico II Pros.

Anyway, Epiphone or Vinatge Advance are really the best options in the UK. Vintage Advance come with a few more features and some of their hardware is better than the Epiphone models, but of course since they're a copy brand they don't use the ''real'' shape, so if that is important to you then you should stick to the Epi. Don't worry about what a lot of people on here say about Epiphones; most of the people on here are American and so have only played the Epiphones sent to America, the Epiphones that are shipped to Europe (UK included) go through much stricter quality control, they're much better here than they are in America. So I appreciate that Epiphones aren't good choices for Americans, but for anyone in Europe they are great.

Do bear in mind that with GnR type tones, what guitar you use doesn't matter too much. That's why Slash can pick up a neck-through, mostly maple Mockingbird with a Floyd Rose or a double neck SG and it barely sounds any different to his Les Pauls. It's the amp that really defines the tone, that's what you need to be putting the most money towards if that is the kind of tone you want.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Don't worry about the Alnico II Prop pickups. They won't get you Slash's tone at all with most amplifiers. The point of the Alnico II Pros is they are really low output and have a flat, characterless tone. What that means is it lets the amp do almost all the work in terms of defining your tone and the most your guitar contributes is the resonance of the wood. Basically, Alnico II Pros will make you sound less like Slash (or those sorts of tones) than any other pickup unless you have his exact guitar and amp. On the other hand if you did have his actual guitar and his actual amp, the Alnico II Pros would get you closer to his sound.

Since you're on a budget of £400 for a guitar, you obviously aren't going to be buying Slash's guitar form him any time soon, nor his amp. So stay away from Alnico II Pros.

Anyway, Epiphone or Vinatge Advance are really the best options in the UK. Vintage Advance come with a few more features and some of their hardware is better than the Epiphone models, but of course since they're a copy brand they don't use the ''real'' shape, so if that is important to you then you should stick to the Epi. Don't worry about what a lot of people on here say about Epiphones; most of the people on here are American and so have only played the Epiphones sent to America, the Epiphones that are shipped to Europe (UK included) go through much stricter quality control, they're much better here than they are in America. So I appreciate that Epiphones aren't good choices for Americans, but for anyone in Europe they are great.

Do bear in mind that with GnR type tones, what guitar you use doesn't matter too much. That's why Slash can pick up a neck-through, mostly maple Mockingbird with a Floyd Rose or a double neck SG and it barely sounds any different to his Les Pauls. It's the amp that really defines the tone, that's what you need to be putting the most money towards if that is the kind of tone you want.

great info man, thanks alot i will keep this all in mind!
IDK what your used instrument options are in the UK, but at if you're willing to go used, you might be able to get a Gibson Les Paul Studio/Special for your price range. Won't look brand new, but eventually you're going to wear out your instrument anyways, right?

Just throwing it out there...
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Quote by stegolas
Hey do epi do a version with these humbuckers in it already?

thanks

Yea, they have an epi slash sig. You should be able to pick one up, used for around 600 pounds, I would hope.(I am in the U.S. so not sure on the currency exchange atm.)
Quote by MrFlibble

Yea, It makes sense about the Alcino pro II's. I never really tried them out, and wasn't really sure if they were great or not. And I had a feeling that, with how he swears by his Marshall JCM800 Jubilee's, that it was more his amp, and less his guitars defining his tone. Cool bit of info! And BTW, I agree, most epi's in the USA are kinda shoddy. Most people here argue with me when I say that they are basically "Blem" or "factory second" Gibson's. And I can agree that most UK and European guitars are pretty awesome!

And your info, and based on what I have seen on the epi's in the states, is why I suggested the ESP/LTD's.
picked up my prs from zzounds.com for 449 USD
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC