Page 1 of 4
This goes for drums, keyboards, guitars, anything, so I'm going to put it here in the Pit!

Anyway, what's the worst thing that's happened to any of your gear damage-wise? Doesn't have to be gigging damage.

I can remember being at a church away trip and I was playing bass, and I'd taken my big Yamaha 5 stringer because I needed the extra low notes. Now we were at this special Christian center, with a HUGE house and an attached church. We were taking classes and services for this trip in the church.

The church was lower than the house because the whole place sat on a hill. So you had to go down a series of stone steps from the house to the church. I was going to start soundchecking for the first service and was carrying my bass, when I slipped on an uneven step. My bass fell from my hands (it wasn't in a case), tumbled down the stairs and stopped at the bottom. I expected it to be completely useless but when I checked it, it was intact and still in tune. Few dents though.

So Pit, go!
Smacking my Gretsch Pro Jet on the corner of my bed. It hurt me more than it hurt the guitar to be honest...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
My friend was trying to hand me my acoustic from the ground, because I was up in a tree. Dumbass let go of it before I had a chance to grab the neck. It did a complete 180 and dropped right on the head. Nothing significant happened, but "My guitar fell out of a tree," always starts a good story with my guitar friends.

Edit: Oh yes, and a drunken accident let my friends floor tom tumble out of a third story roof and onto his car. Never had a chance
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Last edited by Pedalboard at Jun 22, 2010,
My pedal board has taken a few bad prangs while in tansit from gig to gig. I think the worst was when I took a large chunk out of the body of my fender. I lost my temper one night when my amp was giving me trouble and threw it on the floor.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
When I was about 15 I was playing a gig with my old Marshall MG, but it kept cutting out through the whole set. By the end of the last song I was so pissed off that I just walked to the back of the stage and kicked the living daylights out of the thing, in front of the whole audience. I felt like a prat afterwards and still regret it to this day.
When I was playing around one day I tried to do the Jimi Hendrix behind the back solo... My guitar strap was loose and of course, I brought the guitar behind my head, played a terrible solo (still thought I was king tho) brought it back over and it completely fell out of my hands and fell from the point where I was pretty much holding it directly over my head.

The sound from the guitar dropping alone was loud, on a hardwood floor. Then the amp picked up the disaster that occurred and blasted me with static and noise. I cringed.

My headstock on my LesPaul has a chunk missing. I was going to glue it back on, but its a memory now I sorta enjoy lol.
Still plays great.
Quote by Pedalboard
Edit: Oh yes, and a drunken accident let my friends floor tom tumble out of a third story roof and onto his car. Never had a chance

How the fuck...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I snapped the neck off of an Ephiphone SG once while practicing with my friend... it was his guitar. He was drumming and I was getting really into it. Like, really really into it.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
My acoustic (cheap one though) went through airport baggage, so I don't really need to say more.

Well, the nut was broken in two, only being held on by the strings tension, there was a bunch of new scratches and dents on the headstock, but not much else. Looked like something hit it hard or had something heavy dropped on it :\

Apart from that, all my other guitars seem to catch random small dents and chips here and there. I had some friends round one time, I left the room for a minute, and when I came back I noticed what looked like someone had shot my Strat point blank with an airsoft gun, since there was a fairly deep BB sized dent in it, and the guitar next to it had a similarly deep gouge in it caused by something else. None of them seemed to have any idea about it though, or claim to have been anywhere near my guitars

And the paint is chipped off in a few small spots on the edges of a couple of my pedals, which looks badass.
Last edited by pete-c at Jun 22, 2010,
Another one: I'd volunteered to do this event at church on violin and because I was coming back to church that night, decided to leave my violin in the band prep room, under a table.
Some idiot then decided to plonk two PA speakers on this table without really thinking how heavy they were. The table collapsed.
When I came in I saw the broken table and expected to be picking bits of violin off the floor. Instead when I moved the speakers off the floor, I found a cracked case and an intact violin.
I've dropped my guitar down the stairs twice, smashed it against the table and ceiling a couple times. read it on my guitar review. my ltd f-400 fm hehe. its so sexy
My girlfriend once got up in the night to go to the bathroom and in the darkness she bumped my old Takamine 12-string acoustic. It fell off its stand and onto the ground, and as she tripped she stepped straight through it. The back of the guitar was totally wrecked the and face was cracked. She then put her other knee through it as well, which finished onff any remaining bracing. The neck was okay. She manage to cut her leg up pretty bad and there were little bits of guitar in her ankle and foot. There was quite a bit of blood on the carpet in my old room. Good times. I cried. Well, not really. She did cry though, really loudly.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
One time I fought off a pair of huskies with my Ibanez bass. She was hurt..but braved through.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I had an Arbor Flying V, about 12 years ago. And one night, I went out partying with friends, and My brother decided to re-arrange my room, as a joke, but he ended up dropping the boxspring mattress on the guitar and completely severed the headstock. =/ He bought me a replacement neck, but it just wasn't the same. =(
Dropping my amp, dropping my guitars, smacking my guitars headstock into the wall. You know, general stuff.

I once destroyed my first ever acoustic by smashing it on the floor.
I take very good care of my stuff. I've had my Takamine for about a year and not a dent so far. Mint condition. I love that thing so much. £350 and it's the best sounding acoustic I've ever played. I had a budget of a grand and was originally looking at Martins and Taylors but I preferred the Takamine. The beauty of acoustics.
It wasn't really my fault, but not long after I got my amp I went to crank it up on the cleaner channel, and one of the tubes arc'd, setting fire to the tube socket.

IT was pretty metal, but I was ****ing devastated.

Worked fine when I got new tubes for it though

Other than that the worst I've done is a few dings with the guitars I've used over the years (Mums boyfriends Jackson Kelly and Les Paul, and my flying V) No big damage on those though.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I've dropped my strat an number of times, no real damage. One of my friends stepped on his acoustic in the night. annihilated it. the neck and half the body completely detached. it looked a lot like this:

Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nothing too bad with my gear. Sure, the odd dent and scratch but nothing major. My Warwick stays in it's flight case when not being used, so that tends to get more damaged than the bass.

This. I'm careful with my gear.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I also puked on a bass of mine....my vintage 1976 fretless.

How did you manage that?
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by seemeel
My girlfriend once got up in the night to go to the bathroom and in the darkness she bumped my old Takamine 12-string acoustic. It fell off its stand and onto the ground, and as she tripped she stepped straight through it. The back of the guitar was totally wrecked the and face was cracked. She then put her other knee through it as well, which finished onff any remaining bracing. The neck was okay. She manage to cut her leg up pretty bad and there were little bits of guitar in her ankle and foot. There was quite a bit of blood on the carpet in my old room. Good times. I cried. Well, not really. She did cry though, really loudly.

my missus and I were n the floor doing something
I had foolishly meant my dean ml on a big leather rocking chair
my head pushed the chair and the guitar came down and smacked my missus' arm
missus was badly bruised and my guitars intonation was knocked a bit off
my first guitar; a cheap ass bc rich fell once and the majority of the headstock broke rofl
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Fiddelers elbow

How did you manage that?

I was playing bass drunk. I thought I could make it to the bathroom.
I moved abroad years ago and when I left I let my mates little brother borrow my guitar until I could bring over with me eventually. When I got it back it was wrecked. He'd left it in his back garden for months on end, in Ireland, where it pretty much rains all the time. Numpty! I brought it to a store to see if they could fix it up and they just laughed and told me to bin it. Oh, and I'm constantly banging the headstock off my bass when I carry it around in my soft case. Trees, door frames you name it
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Smacking my Gretsch Pro Jet on the corner of my bed. It hurt me more than it hurt the guitar to be honest...

On Gretsch Pro Jets, i have an Electromatic one and it feels like it can put a hole in a battleship and still be able to play fine.

I haven't really damaged my gear much, one time my Gretsch kinda failed me at a gig in the middle of a song and i was tempted to throw it across the stage but i controlled myself.

There was this one time when i had my other guitar in a hardcase, and i was carrying it along in the street and my friends kept trying to open it because they wanted to play it, and eventually i got pissed off and threw it down to the ground, the guitar was fine but the case is pretty ****ed, it still does the job but the hinges are broke and one of the buckle things has come off, i do need a new one as i am always worried that its just gonna completely fall apart one day and my guitar will crash down to the floor, which will upset me as it is a hollowbody.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
a couple of days after i got my Jackson DKMG i was at practice and hit it off a table. left a sizeable chip in the back that's still there
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
My Ibanez RG is pretty darn scuffed up.
I don't have any pictures though, so I'll show a pic of my other type of gear that had some rough treatment in the desert recently...

scratching the corner of my guitar, nothing else bad has really happened to it
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Practising with acoustics. My friend swung round and whacked the head of her guitar into the body of mine. I was ****ing livid!

Another time I was carrying my guitar through town, except it was an electric in an acoustic bag. I didn't realise but it kept dragging along the ground, then when I took it out of the bag the side of it was all scratched down to the wood what an idiot

And once my friend was carrying her acoustic in a soft case, she was going through a doorway and the guitar swung round so it was kind of horizontal in front of her and got stuck between her legs and the door and the neck snapped off
Last edited by ClaraLee at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by true_bacon22
My explorer falls at least 3 times a day due to it's retardedly inconvenient shape.

But tis an awesome shape nonethelesss.

Also, wall hanger! only thing that would work right for my corvus
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
My gigbag strap broke off and my guitar fell down a flight of stairs.

This happened twice.

It took some pieces of wood off.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I dropped my fretless on my toes. **** that hurt... Oh yea bass was unscathed I was left limping with what was probably a broken toe.

Lesson learned, don't build a solid hardwood bass that weighs 9 kilos (damn near 20 pounds) and drop it on your toes.
I am me. Live with it.
When I first got my guitar I put the strap on and tried to put the guitar on my back...without straplocks.

A friend of mine had his new guitar is his (soft) case when the zip broke and his guitar fell out hitting the hard ground with a loud crash.
Hadn't had my new LTD M-1000 that long when the strat came off, head hit off a table and snapped one of the machine heads. Took me a while to find a replacement.

But this guy I know, bought a real American Fender Strat, he then buys d'addario 13's and proceeds to tune his guitar up a semitone to F standard I think it did alot of damage to the neck.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
The back of my LP copy is completely mullered, covered in scratches and dents. It probably weighs less now though!
Page 1 of 4