Are they any good? A friend of mine is selling his old Squier Strat, i was thinking of buying it off him for modification, and EMGs sprung to mind. I play plenty of high gain stuff so im guessing theyre suitable, but is the sound worth the price? (Im looking at £250 RRP for a set of 3, sure i can get them cheaper but still...)

Cheers
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
David Gilmour uses EMG single-coil actives, need I say more?
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
They sound the way you want them to sound, without the hum. By the way, they are not single coils, only single coil sized.
Quote by MonsterOfRock
David Gilmour uses EMG single-coil actives, need I say more?

No you need not

Quote by Tinderwet
They sound the way you want them to sound, without the hum. By the way, they are not single coils, only single coil sized.

I understand this, just thought id say "single-coil" for clarity
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by Tinderwet

No, they're single coils.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
EMG's single coil pickups do a really good job of sounding like regular single coils, just with no hum and more output obviously. If you play typical ''higher gain'' genres then they may not be suitable for you because they certianly don't sound like humbuckers, but they are good for more mid-gain styles where regular single coils would just start to get out of hand.

I'd also like to mention Dragonfire pickups, they make copies of EMG pickups and I must say, they get very very close and are considerably cheaper. I've got an HSS set of their active pickps in a Strat and the single coils in particular are really great. I was going to get a set of EMG singles but I'm glad I took the chance on the Dragonfires and saved myself a lot of money instead.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by steven seagull
No, they're single coils.

One coil + another coil on top doesn't equal single coil.

EMG lie then, says they're singles on their website!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
EMG lie then, says they're singles on their website!

True..its under their single coil-passives section
Quote by MrFlibble
EMG's single coil pickups do a really good job of sounding like regular single coils, just with no hum and more output obviously. If you play typical ''higher gain'' genres then they may not be suitable for you because they certianly don't sound like humbuckers, but they are good for more mid-gain styles where regular single coils would just start to get out of hand.

I'd also like to mention Dragonfire pickups, they make copies of EMG pickups and I must say, they get very very close and are considerably cheaper. I've got an HSS set of their active pickps in a Strat and the single coils in particular are really great. I was going to get a set of EMG singles but I'm glad I took the chance on the Dragonfires and saved myself a lot of money instead.

Well there arent many genres/styles i dont play, i just assumed active pup = good for high gain - obviously not the case!! Mid-gain sounds fine, and ill be sure to check out Dragonfire...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by barfrog
Are they any good? A friend of mine is selling his old Squier Strat, i was thinking of buying it off him for modification, and EMGs sprung to mind. I play plenty of high gain stuff so im guessing theyre suitable, but is the sound worth the price?

They're single coils, not humbuckers. If you're expecting pickups designed for high gain, you'll be disappointed. They do high gain better with the active accessories like on the Dave Gilmour set.

As singlecoils, I really like both the SAX and the T set.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Tinderwet
One coil + another coil on top doesn't equal single coil.

Actually, yes it does when one of the coils is a dummy coil that serves only to cancel noise. The coil closer to the strings handles the guitar signal.

You'll see this design in lots of noiseless single coils, whether active or passive.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

They are great clean, I have the S in my neck position. They also work good in combination with my 81 to add some bottom to the gain. Not too good for gain on their own tho.
Quote by Even Bigger D
Actually, yes it does when one of the coils is a dummy coil that serves only to cancel noise. The coil closer to the strings handles the guitar signal.

You'll see this design in lots of noiseless single coils, whether active or passive.

Not true. There's a magnet core in both of them coils. The output of both coils are summed by a pre-amp. Dummy coils are always placed away from the actual pickup coils, practically as far away as possible. It's not the case with EMGs.
Quote by Tinderwet
Not true. There's a magnet core in both of them coils.

It doesn't matter. The lower coil is too far from the strings to pick up appreciable signal. It's the inverse square law at work. Furthermore, unlike a humbucker the dummy coil is musically out of phase with the main coil.

From a sound perspective, EMG S and T series are single coils.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
It doesn't matter. The lower coil is too far from the strings to pick up appreciable signal.

It's the changes in the magnetic field that the amp amplifies, and the magnetic flux arises from the poles of the magnet core, not the coils. The coils only have to surround the core.

Quote by Even Bigger D
Furthermore, unlike a humbucker the dummy coil is musically out of phase with the main coil.

The coils of the EMG stack are not in phase nor out of phase with each other, because as I noted above, their outputs are summed by the preamp.

From a sound perspective, EMG S and T series are very similar to single coils.

I completely agree on that one.
I'm sorry, but you're just not grasping this. I'm going to stop wasting my time. But if you want to enlighten yourself you might want to think about why a schematic for an EMG 81 (a true humbucker) may not be relevant to a S series (a noiseless single coil).

Have fun being wrong
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 22, 2010,
One of you is correct, the other isn't and needs to get out of the house more often. I'm not going to say which is which because this is pretty funny.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Even Bigger D
I'm sorry, but you're just not grasping this. I'm going to stop wasting my time. But if you want to enlighten yourself you might want to think about why a schematic for an EMG 81 (a true humbucker) may not be relevant to a S series (a noiseless single coil).

Have fun being wrong

Well, if you want to think they use a radically different preamp circuit inside, nothing can hold you back from it, right? Or you can just sit back a little and contemplate on the underlying science of EMG pickups in general. Or do you want me to find the patent again?
Quote by Tinderwet
Well, if you want to think they use a radically different preamp circuit inside, nothing can hold you back from it, right? Or you can just sit back a little and contemplate on the underlying science of EMG pickups in general. Or do you want me to find the patent again?

Go waste your time however you like.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Ummm, all i did was ask if they were any good...

Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by barfrog
Ummm, all i did was ask if they were any good...

Sorry man, I just didn't want to leave Even Bigger D misinformed. Anyway, they sound great in all kinds of settings, including high gain. You just need to set the amp/effects accordingly.
Quote by Tinderwet
Sorry man, I just didn't want to leave Even Bigger D misinformed.

Don't worry - you didn't succeed in misinforming me, although you sure tried hard.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Yeah its no problem really

If you guys ever feel the urge to have another pissing contest, just keep it private yeah?
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4