Bass is getting lost in the mix. I'm not talking the mixing board so much, when we jam, mostly relying on the amps, it doesnt have presence. If I turn it up so its distinct everyone complains its too loud and if I turn it down to where "its there" but not much more it loses all its character in the mud and you might as well just give me a bass drum to hammer on.

I notice when playing live the sound guy keeps the bass cranked up a bit which is one way to do it, but I cant convince my bandies to let me have it a bit loud. I've read about using high pass filters on the guitars (basically cuts out their low end so I have a place to play) but its 2 guitarists vs 1 bass player and in a democracy I am on the loosing end.

Is this just the bass players dilemma or is there a real solution?
fresh strings will help too.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Thats a good idea, I will try to tweak the mids while jamming more. The strings may need changing as well but they are lively enough when played with only drums and vocals.

I'm just a little sour on the whole thing, having to explain to non-bass players that my tone is being wiped out when they say my bass "is there" even though its basically just dull thumps when the guitars kick in. But they are a good bunch and we do have some good times so its a hit I may have to take for the time being.
It's not them, it's your audience who are missing out.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Know it all too well... Mids are important, a lot of guitarist doesn't understand that we have needs for a good sound as much as they have!
Baaaaaaazz
1. Up the mids
2. Explain to your guitarists why they need to keep their bass levels down. If they ignore you, they're idiots.
3. You might want to try flatwound strings. They give more fundamentals and fewer overtones which ultimately means more 'presence', especially in a crowded mix with guitars. Downside: by themselves, to many they sound dull and lifeless, but you can really hear the positives in a band situation. Plus they last practically forever.
4. Last resort... better amp. Or murder a guitarist or two.
Quote by Flogger_92
1. Up the mids
2. Explain to your guitarists why they need to keep their bass levels down. If they ignore you, they're idiots.
3. You might want to try flatwound strings. They give more fundamentals and fewer overtones which ultimately means more 'presence', especially in a crowded mix with guitars. Downside: by themselves, to many they sound dull and lifeless, but you can really hear the positives in a band situation. Plus they last practically forever.
4. Last resort... better amp. Or murder a guitarist or two.
Good post.

He also reminded me another great point: An EQ/whatever that sounds awesome when you are playing by yourself may not sound very good in a band situation, and vice versa. Make sure you know how to tweak your EQ to suit the specific situation.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Good post.

He also reminded me another great point: An EQ/whatever that sounds awesome when you are playing by yourself may not sound very good in a band situation, and vice versa. Make sure you know how to tweak your EQ to suit the specific situation.

And you've just reminded me of another point an EQ pedal will give you more control over your sound.
^a 31 band rack mount will go even better.

also, what, bass, strings, even amp do you use?
what would you like to sound like in the mix?
what do your guitarists want to sound like?
everyone needs to to find a sonic hole and fill it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well we are a cover band, which is why I usually figure out my EQ settings prior to jamming, so they match the bass player of the song as much as I can ---- given I'm going to try messing with the mids during jamming more though.

We mostly play classic hard rock, I use my line 6 bass pod for its amp emulation a lot (jam with a fender 400 combo but often use different for gigs), so I like to hear the differences since I need a lot of different tones. Some examples would be Roller (april wine), Come together (Aerosmith version), Roxy Roller (Sweeney todd), Shout it out loud (KISS).

If anything I'd like more "boing" like Neil Youngs bass player gets on Rockin in the Free world when its alone in the mix - Im sure theres many other examples but thats whats sticking in my mind right now. May need a different bass/amp setup. I love my jackson CMG concert for its hard rock tone, in general its very bright, but it may be missing some of what I need.
Last edited by mac_attack at Jun 24, 2010,
Ampeg seems to be the sound used by that by by my googling.

you are using a Fender emulation. running through a Sansamp VT or Bass Driver will be much cheaper than getting an SVT head (though less impressive and accurate).

you don't need fancy EQing, you just need 3-4 knobs arranged to taste.

if you want to trade basses, a Fender might be a good fit to really nail that classic sound, but with the Ampeg sound, you don't need a specific bass, you already have the sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
Ampeg seems to be the sound used by that by by my googling.

you are using a Fender emulation. running through a Sansamp VT or Bass Driver will be much cheaper than getting an SVT head (though less impressive and accurate).

you don't need fancy EQing, you just need 3-4 knobs arranged to taste.

if you want to trade basses, a Fender might be a good fit to really nail that classic sound, but with the Ampeg sound, you don't need a specific bass, you already have the sound.

Sounds about what I figured too, I already know I loved the sound of a real 800W ampeg svt when I had the opportunity to play one at the last festival we did.

Also, for practice I wanted to mention I do emulate ampeg already on my line 6 and its my fav. but you've given me something to think about -> maybe sansamp is a better emulator, and I should dump my line 6? I've heard good things about it, just never tried it.
Where do you stand in relation to your amp? because you will hear it differently to everyone else.

TM
Quote by mac_attack
Sounds about what I figured too, I already know I loved the sound of a real 800W ampeg svt when I had the opportunity to play one at the last festival we did.

Also, for practice I wanted to mention I do emulate ampeg already on my line 6 and its my fav. but you've given me something to think about -> maybe sansamp is a better emulator, and I should dump my line 6? I've heard good things about it, just never tried it.

Line 6 is good at doing everything... Sansamp is great at one thing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well I have the 6-channel sansamp bass driver on order, should give me enough tones to cover our songs. I read a bunch of reviews on harmony central and it seems that they say its a step up from a line 6 with regards to tone and amp emulation, which is really what I am after. I read a couple that even mentioned that they had a muddy situation like mine and it fixed it. I've got high hopes for this unit solving my problems.