Hey guys, erm, i've tried before but i just couldnt be bothered.
I'm now more determined, and i've got a better guitar. I had a benson, which was terrible to use. Now I have a Fender Squire with a Marshall Amp. Can anyone give advice to me about learning? Should i keep it fun and where do i start?
I started recently too. I`d think It`d be best to get some lessons, but go teacher scavenging first until you find someone that fits you and your music. At first it certainly won`t be fun, but I think you`ll get there fast if you use the lessons properly and practice daily. Good luck.
Quote by Anthony666H
Hey guys, erm, i've tried before but i just couldnt be bothered.
I'm now more determined, and i've got a better guitar. I had a benson, which was terrible to use. Now I have a Fender Squire with a Marshall Amp. Can anyone give advice to me about learning? Should i keep it fun and where do i start?

This is great, but what are your goals? Set some specific ones. Set goals youd like to accomplish (and that youre willing and committed to work your butt off for) in the next month and then three months whatever it is. Having a starting point really helps.

I have a little insight based upon teaching experience. Those who focus on a very few major nthings progress the fastest and furthest. Those who tend to do a few weeks of one thing and another most lose a lot of time over the years, because they never learned any one thing very well to start with. Try to keep your goals simple and specific rather than loose and varied.

Sean
Im determined to be in a metal band, always have. I just really want to learn guitar steadily and keep practicing and to keep it fun. Thanks guys.
Well basically dude, im starting from Scratch. I'm getting a better guitar for my birthday man and when ive got better. Im thinking of getting lessons.
Well then when I teach people songs, I focus on the basic ones to get them underway.

Smoke on The Water
Iron Man
Paranoid
Crazy Train
Sweet Child O Mine
Seek and Destroy etc.

Things like that to get basics down, and develop rock and roll fundamentals.

Start with those songs.
some basic things to start before getting lessons would just be strengthening your fingers so that you progress quickly through the first parts of your lessons.
basically consists of playing like, 1st finger, 2nd finger, 3rd finger, 4th finger on the E string, and then the A string, then d, b, and the high E then back down. this sounds boring (and often is) but it actually does help. just do it when you are watching tv or something.

also as Sean said, set goals for yourself. have some easier goals and some harder ones that you will work towards.

ive been playing for 5 years now so i still remember what it was like learning and i often felt like giving up because i wasnt very good to start with. but yeah just try and hang in there and after awhile you'll look back at the first few songs you learnt and think, "wow those songs are so easy"
Cheers Sean & Doonan, i wanted to start learning guitar 1 year ago, but unfortunately i had a really bad guitar and i just wasnt motivated, i started with Smoke on the water intro but then got bored of it. Now i'm motivated and have more knowledge of music, i'm sure that i'll keep at it. Thanks man!
Anthony
Last edited by Anthony666H at Jun 22, 2010,
if you find yourself feeling like you arent progressing at all, learn a song by like, blink or something. easy 4 chord style songs that leave you feeling accomplished lol. or wonderwall by oasis. that gets all the ladies
Don't think it comes in days or weeks. Its going to bother you so much and your going to feel like your never making progress but trust me even every 30 mins you just strum so chords helps you so much in the long run. Take the step from playing for fun and playing serious is a huge one guitar is something you only get as much out of as you put in. Take your progress in quarterly reviews every 4 months look back at how much you have progressed and it will give you the satisfaction of seeing your skills develop
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2