Don't identify them
9 16%
Unsure
3 5%
Carrots
11 19%
Voters: 58.
Page 1 of 2
I can remember a thread a while ago about anonymity given to rape defendants so I was thinking- should serial domestic abusers be identified?

There was calls from the Wiltshire Chief Constable for the identification of a serial offender who beat up SEVEN girlfriends in a year.

So, yes or no?
yes.

poll?
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
I would say yes.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by maggot9779
Identified how?
It would be like "Who's That Pokémon?!" in Pokémon.
Quote by maggot9779
Identified how?

Their names would be released to local media and if a woman was unsure of a new partner, she could inquire and find out if he's got a record.
My contribution to this thread.

BOOK HIM!

for his silly dancing
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Their names would be released to local media and if a woman was unsure of a new partner, she could inquire and find out if he's got a record.

Then sure.
They should get jail time and anger management until they can behave in a manner that is socially acceptable. The point is to rehabilitate them, not to make their lifes suck forever by telling everyone they f*cked up in the past.
Quote by TheQuailman
They should get jail time and anger management until they can behave in a manner that is socially acceptable. The point is to rehabilitate them, not to make their lifes suck forever by telling everyone they f*cked up in the past.

If they're a serial offender, they're probably not going to change in a hurry.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Overall I'd say no. That system might just as well be abused by petty people accusing honest men/women of things they didn't do.

Focus more on rehabilitation than a public shaming.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by ctb
It would be like "Who's That Pokémon?!" in Pokémon.

THIS IS A SERIOUS TOPIC ASSHOLE
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
The question I have is, why doesn't the woman regulate?

Mine has smacked me around a little. But then I did bury six inches of rusty-nail 2x4 in her face...
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

That's a stupid, stupid idea, and people I know who support the identification of domestic abusers would agree. Don't publish them into local media so women can check up - have it done on a state based system.

However, I disagree with it. I think women are going to find out a bit too late that their partner is inclined to beat their partners and it's unfair to fuel paranoia. Enhancing support for domestic victims, however, is a good thing. A woman dying a week at the hands of their partner is not good.

EDIT: inb4'sexism'. When the vast majority of domestic violence is done by men, it is predominately a problem which concerns women. That's true without down grading how bad domestic violence can be against men.
Last edited by Craigo at Jun 22, 2010,
No, they should not be identified. Our justice system is based on rehabilitating criminals back in to society. The process of "naming and shaming" of ex-criminals like this makes rehabilitating the criminals difficult/impossible. It's the same reasoning that was in the thread for sex offenders being named, it should be no different in this case.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

If they're a serial offender, they should get a serious sentence (short jail time) and obligatory anger management and eventually psychological help over an extended period. Make 'em go to a shrink for two or three years. Make the shrink keep track of the offender's developement and make him inform the authorities if the offender doesn't comply - more prison time if he doesn't. There obviously needs to be applied some pressure on the guy.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Quote by TheQuailman
If they're a serial offender, they should get a serious sentence (short jail time) and obligatory anger management and eventually psychological help over an extended period. Make 'em go to a shrink for two or three years. Make the shrink keep track of the offender's developement and make him inform the authorities if the offender doesn't comply - more prison time if he doesn't. There obviously needs to be applied some pressure on the guy.

The shrink should also be Peter Griffin and accompany the offender on dates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gcTx7NREI&feature=related
Only if they're actually convicted, and then they can be identified. Be like one of those checks that Youth workers and people who work with children have to have, just it'd be for woman-beaters.
Depending on the laws and the circumstances, the law can definitely become a burden for the innocent.

Let's say the guy cheats - not good, but not a crime. The woman goes down to a local bar and picks a fight with some drunk biker chicks and reports domestic violence on behalf of the man.

Now he's essentially f*cked. No job. Can't rent an apartment.

Same applies to sex offenders. Ever pee in public? By law you are a sex offender.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by 09phillt
Only if they're actually convicted, and then they can be identified. Be like one of those checks that Youth workers and people who work with children have to have, just it'd be for woman-beaters.

How would that help rehabilitate them? It's worse, because you are making them suffer beyond their punishment in addition to making it considerably more difficult for them to change and be integrated back in to society because they are going to be isolated due to their past actions. 2 out of many reasons it's a flawed idea. It directly contradicts the goal of our jusice system, rehabilitation not punishment bro.
Quote by shattamakar

BOOK HIM!

for his silly dancing

Does he not know hats go on top of the head, not the side?
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
How would that help rehabilitate them? It's worse, because you are making them suffer beyond their punishment in addition to making it considerably more difficult for them to change and be integrated back in to society because they are going to be isolated due to their past actions. 2 out of many reasons it's a flawed idea. It directly contradicts the goal of our jusice system, rehabilitation not punishment bro.

True, maybe the women can make their own mind up? They can have access to their records or something, then they have the freedom to decide if they have changed or are suitable partners. We have a right to know who is a criminal or not, and to make our own minds up about them.
Quote by 09phillt
True, maybe the women can make their own mind up? They can have access to their records or something, then they have the freedom to decide if they have changed or are suitable partners. We have a right to know who is a criminal or not, and to make our own minds up about them.

First off, they are ex criminals. And where do you have that right? It's certainly not a legal right, so please enlighten me.
Quote by 09phillt
We have a right to know who is a criminal or not, and to make our own minds up about them.

Is or was? The past doesn't dictate the future.

And I don't know where you get the idea that you have the right to know anything about anybody. That's not part of any law I know of.

EDIT: ^Bah, screw this!
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by 09phillt

I agree. Keep in mind we're talking about serial abusers here. Not some unlucky guy who got screwed in court once, but someone who is doing this over and over. I think they should be identified.

EDIT:
No, it's not a legal right we have, but I personally would want to know.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Hanson are musical legends.

You watch your god damn mouth when talking about them.

Quote by TheQuailman

I mean, look at me. Can't even get an erection unless I strangle a goat.

It's Time To Be Immortal Cause Heros Never Die!
Last edited by Metallicam at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
Is or was? The past doesn't dictate the future.

And I don't know where you get the idea that you have the right to know anything about anybody. That's not part of any law I know of.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
First off, they are ex criminals. And where do you have that right? It's certainly not a legal right, so please enlighten me.

I think it's a basic human right to know who is/was a criminal and what danger they may pose to society. You'd want to know if there was a paedophile on your street if you have children wouldn't you?

Quote by Metallicam
I agree. Keep in mind we're talking about serial abusers here. Not some unlucky guy who got screwed in court once, but someone who is doing this over and over. I think they should be identified.

Cheers
No, they should be shot.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by 09phillt
I think it's a basic human right to know who is/was a criminal and what danger they may pose to society. You'd want to know if there was a paedophile on your street if you have children wouldn't you?

It's not a basic human right, I would suggest that you read up on what rights/freedoms you are granted in your contries constitution, because you seem to have a flawed understanding of them. You are taking away basic human rights, not preserving them.

And he is an ex-criminal, you seem to have missed that point. I have no problem with an ex-paedophile on my street if I had children if we had a proper system based entirely on rehabilitating the criminal back in to society. The judgemental attitude you have towards the criminal proves my point on how this information harms the rehabilitation of the ex-criminal quite nicely.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
It's not a basic human right, I would suggest that you read up on what rights/freedoms you are granted in your contries constitution, because you seem to have a flawed understanding of them. You are taking away basic human rights, not preserving them.

And he is an ex-criminal, you seem to have missed that point. I have no problem with an ex-paedophile on my street if I had children if we had a proper system based entirely on rehabilitating the criminal back in to society. The judgemental attitude you have towards the criminal proves my point on how this information harms the rehabilitation of the ex-criminal quite nicely.

If he/she is a repeat offender isn't it quite likely he/she will offend again? And is therefore unlikely to rehabilitate, as they have had the chance to, several times, yet chosen not too and has kept on offending. Is it America where they have a three-strike system? That's what I would implement, three offences and you're obviously not a "victim of circumstance", and the book shall be thrown at you.
Quote by 09phillt

It's not part of the Universal Decleration of Human Rights, either... If you want to throw around big words, at least look up what they mean. No, it's not a human right. You know what is? Protection of privacy and reputation. Article 12 of the UDHR, maybe look it up.

Ah wait, you're not saying it IS a right, but you think it'd be beneficial if it WAS one.
Talking about things we WANT, I'd rather have a law based on protecting people and helping them with their lives instead of one grounded in blatant paranoia.

No, I wouldn't want a pedo to harm my kids (if I had any). That's why I'm proposing a system to rehabilitate such people so they can control their urges. Granted, a guy who beats his wife is a smaller problem, but the same basic principles apply.

You know, people who have committed a crime, no matter how nasty it is, are still human after all. No, they're not scum that you can just toss aside and treat as you wish. If you truly believe they are then I know who the actual scumback is here.
Quote by 09phillt
If he/she is a repeat offender isn't it quite likely he/she will offend again? And is therefore unlikely to rehabilitate, as they have had the chance to, several times, yet chosen not too and has kept on offending. Is it America where they have a three-strike system? That's what I would implement, three offences and you're obviously not a "victim of circumstance", and the book shall be thrown at you.

Did I mention anger management and visting a shrink yet? Mandatory?

Letting people rot in jail teaches them one thing: Don't get caught. If you want them to change their behaviour, more effort needs to be put in.
Quote by 09phillt

That's an indicator that our countries need to improve our rehabilitation system, not make our sentences even harsher and make rehabilitation even more difficult.

Naming and shaming is simply not a good idea. We shouldn't be making rehabilitation even harder (which naming and shaming accomplishes) if they are that high risk for reoffending, we should be putting more effort on rehabilitation in this circumstance.

Canada's system has the best of both worlds for repeat offenders if I remember correctly. Harsher sentences, and when the perp gets out he gets even more help for rehabilitation since he is higher risk.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Canada's system has the best of both worlds for repeat offenders if I remember correctly. Harsher sentences, and when the perp gets out he gets even more help for rehabilitation since he is higher risk.

See, that sounds like a reasonable solution. All hail Canadia.
Quote by shattamakar

BOOK HIM!

for his silly dancing

He was denied entry to the UK for beating up Rihanna. They publicised it too, I thought it was pretty awesome.

And yes, they should publicise it.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Page 1 of 2