So after much consideration I think I'm going to buy my first pedal. If you guys could help me out by recommending one I would be eternally grateful

Guitars:
72' Telecaster Deluxe
Squire Strat
Kay Les Paul Copy

Amp:
Marshall MG30 DFX

As for the type of music I play, I play anything form metal to pop-punk and everything in between. I really just want something that will give me better tone than what I have and seeing as I have never dealt with pedals or owned one I am clueless.
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 22, 2010,
an amp change would be better, but if you insist on a pedal, maybe a distortion pedal for starters?
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Well seeing as I absolutely can't afford a new amp right now I think a pedal would work better. When I have enough for an amp-change I'm getting a tube amp of some sorts for sure.

As for the type of pedal I have no clue. Basically all I know about pedals is there is the Dunlop Cry baby. Other than that I'm clueless.
Hmm. Are you aiming for a certain sound? or an effect, maybe?

Cheapo pedals that are not true bypass hurt your tone more, actually.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
go for an eq or compressor. both are needed due to the amp your running. althought tbh im not sure how an eq or compressor would sound on a ss amp. any help here guys?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Distortion pedals make the real heavy sound like the distortion on your amp.
Overdrive pedals are like distortion but less "br00talz".
Chorus pedals makes it sound like there are 2 guitars (playing the same notes)
Flangers make kind of like a wavy moving sound.
Phasers are like flangers but more dramatic.
Wah-Wah pedals make your guitar sound like a person saying wah (think metallica solo's).
Multi effects pedals have a bunch of effects built in but don't sound as good.
Noise Gates eliminate noise under a given volume.
Compressers compress your sound (i don't know how to describe it).
EQ let you equalize your sound.
Delay pedals make an echo.
Reverb is like when your in a big room and you yell.
Tremelo when you hit a note it sounds like your hitting it over and over.
Talk box is like an automatic wah pedal (living on a prayer intro)
Looper lets you record something then play it back.
Pitch shifter changes pitch.
Ring modulator make wierd prog noises.
Octave changes or adds to the octave your playing in.
Sustain is like a compressor.
suppressor is like a noise gate.
Look here for pedals: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-Effects-Pedals-Guitar-Effects.gc
Quote by WtrPlyr
Then why do you want one if you don't know what kind of pedals there are and what they do?

Well I know basically what they do and that their are distortion and effect pedals.

The reason for wanting to purchase one is I posted another thread on here about changing the pickups in the Squire strat and the Les Paul. Most of the replies told me with my amp it would virtually do no good and i could get better tone with that amp and those guitars with a pedal.
Quote by ZeroChan

Just aiming for better tone hopefully. And Chepo anything is more hurt I agree.
Quote by ZeroChan

not true, big myth right here, true bypass is like hmmm fried chicken lets say, its so good it moderation but after too much you go to shit, cause see when you have a signal chain from guitar to amp with a bunch of pedals in between if they are all true bypass your signal gets weak and dull cause there is nothing to vamp up your signal. also cheapo means cheap not buffered bypass i mean tube tape echos are not true bypass and i cant think of a better effect, ibanez ts9 arent and how popular are they
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by Skagasm
not true, big myth right here, true bypass is like hmmm fried chicken lets say, its so good it moderation but after too much you go to shit, cause see when you have a signal chain from guitar to amp with a bunch of pedals in between if they are all true bypass your signal gets weak and dull cause there is nothing to vamp up your signal. also cheapo means cheap not buffered bypass i mean tube tape echos are not true bypass and i cant think of a better effect, ibanez ts9 arent and how popular are they

Actually he is right. Cheap pedals often have low quality buffers with add a lot of noise. He also never said cheapo meant buffered bypass. Read next time.
You want to buy a pedal just to buy a pedal? At least, wait until you feel you need something particular. In the meantime, save your money. You might be able to buy a better amp sooner than you think.
Not just to be buying one, many have told me I can get better tone out of my apparently crappy amp with a pedal(s). It took me over two years to save enough to buy my Telecaster.......I don't think a new amp will be here for a while. =/
What is it about your tone you don't like?
Chorus/Delay effects will just drown your sound if you use too much of them
EQ, distortion, overdrive, boost will alter your signal, but you'll still go through your amp's pre and power section
Does your amp have an effect loop?
Yeah it has an effect loop. And it sounds pretty sweet with my Telecaster. It's my Strat and the Les Paul's tone I don't like. =/ they sound......how do I say this.....the tone is too warm? not as much punch so to speak as my Tele. I thought a pickup change would help but everyone say no not with that amp so they said pedals.
Don't worry about pedals right now, get a good amp, guitar, pickups, etc. Tweak the EQ's and expierment with different settings and sounds until you find that perfect tone you've been looking for. Then go to the guitar store and check out the pedals and effects to see what kind of sounds you like.

Some popular effects pedals.

-Chorus
-Delay
-Phaser
-Flanger
-Reverb
-Wah
-Equalizers
-Compressors
You could pop in a Rocktron Chameleon in your effects loop.
It would cost you about 150$ and you'ld get many effects + a dedicated preamp.
ADA MP-1 could also be interesting, but would cost more.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Actually he is right. Cheap pedals often have low quality buffers with add a lot of noise. He also never said cheapo meant buffered bypass. Read next time.

actually he said if its not true bypass its cheapo, which means he thinks buffered is cheap and hes not right. look it up
roland AC90

Don't change your pick-ups untill you get a good amp, the amp is the the main foundation of your tone, pick-ups just accent it further, even if you buy some expensive handwound pick-ups, they won't sound very good through a Marshall MG.

When you say 'better tone' what do you mean exactly?
Do you wan't some sort of modulation or pitch based effect? Or do you wan't more/different gain/overdrive/distortion/dirt?

I wouldn't reccomend buying any kind of dirt pedal with that amp either.

Unless you want like a chorus/delay/etc, you are DEFINATLY better off saving your money untill you can afford a nice little tube amp

Also, there are some pretty bad decriptions of effects in salgala2000's post, do don't take that too literally.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Don't change your pick-ups untill you get a good amp, the amp is the the main foundation of your tone, pick-ups just accent it further, even if you buy some expensive handwound pick-ups, they won't sound very good through a Marshall MG.

When you say 'better tone' what do you mean exactly?
Do you wan't some sort of modulation or pitch based effect? Or do you wan't more/different gain/overdrive/distortion/dirt?

I wouldn't recommend buying any kind of dirt pedal with that amp either.

Unless you want like a chorus/delay/etc, you are DEFIANTLY better off saving your money until you can afford a nice little tube amp

Also, there are some pretty bad descriptions of effects in salgala2000's post, do don't take that too literally.

By better tone I mean, When I play my Tele through that amp it sounds brighter and has more of a punch if you get what I mean. The other two don't sound anywhere near that and they have a lot "warmer" tone and a bit drab and dull sounding if that makes any sense at all. I can get a wider range of tones and sounds form the tele than the other two put together and no matter what I have tried the Strat and LP don;t sound any different

And yes, I'm defiantly getting a tube amp when I can afford it =] Any recommendations on that?
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Skagasm
actually he said if its not true bypass its cheapo, which means he thinks buffered is cheap and hes not right. look it up

No he didn't say that.
Quote by ZeroChan

You see?
Quote by fly135
Get a multifx.

What kind of multi effect pedal?

Or should I even bother buying one until I get a new amp?
Oh I completely forgot to mention I do actually have another amp.....which I never play because it shocks the hell out of me every time I plug it up....but anyway it's a Peavey Solo Series Bandit. It's an older model but no real clue to how old it is. Would it be a better bet to get a better/different tone?
Quote by offthewall91
What kind of multi effect pedal?

Or should I even bother buying one until I get a new amp?
Whats your budget. I recommend watching Craigslist. When you see a deal compared to the new street price, ask here about opinions. With a multifx you might try running into the cd input on your Marshall. Also the Bandit may work well, but make sure the ground on the plug is wired properly to the chassis.

A Jekyll & Hyde is a good distortion pedal. That would be my recommendation. A good used price for one is $70.
Quote by fly135
Whats your budget. I recommend watching Craigslist. When you see a deal compared to the new street price, ask here about opinions. With a multifx you might try running into the cd input on your Marshall. Also the Bandit may work well, but make sure the ground on the plug is wired properly to the chassis.

A Jekyll & Hyde is a good distortion pedal. That would be my recommendation. A good used price for one is $70.

Right Now I could probably spend about $100. When I got the Bandit I had to replace the ground plug as it was cut off. I played it last-night and it didn't shock me for once so maybe it won't shock me again....or I can hope it won't.