So I am having trouble writing songs and melodies.
I basically spent the last 3 years running excersise's and the odd song
and I know feel im fairly competent of a player but its like everything i play is just generic runs or pointless hit as many notes as you can speed riffages. How can i develop melody and start getting my music to have some feeling? (I play metal mainly folk and power a bit of death)
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
you know about harmony and chords and stuff? then u might just wanna hit notes from the chords and stuff
How much time do you spend working on a melody? I bet you get frustrated fairly quickly. If you spend more time maybe you'll be able to get something really creative out. Once you have made a good start it should get easier.
i havent heard of folk metal.

and srsly no offense to metal music (i like it too) but there isnt really alot of feeling in death metal and whatnot. aside of the obvious kind of "in your face" sound.

maybe try a different direction. write a song about something that has alot of feeling already. recent horrific story in the news or something. and present that in your lyrics and the guitar might fall in with the same feeling? kinda like the song Mad World. no matter what you try and play to that song, its always gonna sound pretty sad you know?
Quote by Crossover-
you know about harmony and chords and stuff? then u might just wanna hit notes from the chords and stuff

Are you talking about following a progression strictly? Like soloing over the name of each chord?
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Doonan
i havent heard of folk metal.

and srsly no offense to metal music (i like it too) but there isnt really alot of feeling in death metal and whatnot. aside of the obvious kind of "in your face" sound.

maybe try a different direction. write a song about something that has alot of feeling already. recent horrific story in the news or something. and present that in your lyrics and the guitar might fall in with the same feeling? kinda like the song Mad World. no matter what you try and play to that song, its always gonna sound pretty sad you know?

I have no problem with doing slow meloldic stuff i am trying to write more material for my band though and its just like a wall of writing block that i cant seem to make anything that sounds right for what i play
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Doonan

Perhaps maybe in straight death metal, but in progressive death metal, and in fact most genres of metal there are many, many bands that incorporate a great deal of emotion into a lot of their songs.
Quote by Sheepbane
So I am having trouble writing songs and melodies.
I basically spent the last 3 years running excersise's and the odd song
and I know feel im fairly competent of a player but its like everything i play is just generic runs or pointless hit as many notes as you can speed riffages. How can i develop melody and start getting my music to have some feeling? (I play metal mainly folk and power a bit of death)

Okay, so you spent the last 3 years running exercises, and everything you play is generic runs...ect.

the problem is obvious. You spent more time doing exercises, and less time doing music (just as you stated). A VERY common mistake.

switch that around....problem solved.

You can't expect yourself to create melodies, if you haven't spent time learning them in the 1st place. Thats common sense.

Put yourself in "input" mode.... open the ears..... listen.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 22, 2010,
go learn a new song in some other genre. it will either A. give you ideas, or B. lower your expectations and make your current ideas sound good by comparison lol. listen to some different music or something, widen your idea range.

or better yet, just take a break and come back to it later man.
Quote by Doonan

Feeling exists only where you look for it.

TS, like anything, it comes with practice...and lots of it.

Many theory books look at various ways to break down a melody; call and response, melodic curve etc. So have a look at those, they’re probably around the net as well.

It is also important to transcribe melodies from your head and apply them somehow, like writing all the backing elements and so on. Make sure you do this a lot, however "simple" or "stupid" the melodies might be (relative to folk/death metal). You started with simple stuff when learning a technique didn't you? Well it's the same principle here as well, you don't dive into the deep end straight away.

And as always, analyse melodies you think are cool and see what makes them work.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Okay, so you spent the last 3 years running exercises, and everything you play is generic runs...ect.

the problem is obvious. You spent more time doing exercises, and less time doing music (just as you stated). A VERY common mistake.

switch that around....problem solved.

Yep, that's it. You are trying to write music with your hands rather than your ear. Separate yourself from the instrument for a while and concentrate on sound rather than familiar patterns. Learn a bunch of melodies from memory and think in terms of sound and you'll start to write better melodies.