ok
i have a Fender Stratocaster.
i removed the tremolo arm (dontt like the look or feel) and instead of using the tremolo arm to create the whammy effect. when i play and feel i need a tremolo effect i grab my pickup selector switch and rock it back and forth from the neck pickup to the mid to the bridge and back again

i was wondering if this would cause premature wear to my pickup selector?
should i just suck it up and use the tremolo arm?
after doing that for awhile i would imagine yes it would wear out your pickup selector. but ive never really tested it so..
Quote by Doonan
after doing that for awhile i would imagine yes it would wear out your pickup selector. but ive never really tested it so..

well i got to think

Tom Morrelo does it
but then agian he is rich and can afford it

idk

mabye i just keep the tremolo arm im my pocket and when i need it i pull it out and just thread it a few turns
Quote by fenderfreak100
well i got to think

Tom Morrelo does it
but then agian he is rich and can afford it

dont just do it cause tom morrelo does it,they can change these things anytime they fancy

I saw that the edge tremolo on steve vai's EVO gets changed a couple of times every year,that a more than once each YEAR!!even though it's considered the most durable ibanez tremolo of all time..thats why you shouldn't try to do what guys like steve vai,dimebag or herman lee do..they are rich and they can afford it..but we cant.
Quote by archenemyfan
dont just do it cause tom morrelo does it,they can change these things anytime they fancy

I saw that the edge tremolo on steve vai's EVO gets changed a couple of times every year,that a more than once each YEAR!!even though it's considered the most durable ibanez tremolo of all time..thats why you shouldn't try to do what guys like steve vai,dimebag or herman lee do..they are rich and they can afford it..but we cant.

great point

idk y i hate my tremolo arm

i can string bend to get a tremolo effect right?
Quote by fenderfreak100
great point

idk y i hate my tremolo arm

i can string bend to get a tremolo effect right?

well you can play a harmonic and wiggle the strings from behind the nut(If you dont have a locking nut)
If it wears out, you could always try taking it apart and bending the leads back into position. I've only done it once but can confirm it works on this type of selector:
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/EP-4476-000.jpg
I say wank away on that selector switch if that gets you the sound you're looking for. I've never seen a 5-way switch wear out. It may loosen up a little after years of use but even if you had to replace it after a few years it's like a 15 dollar switch at the most.
Quote by deluthe
I say wank away on that selector switch if that gets you the sound you're looking for. I've never seen a 5-way switch wear out. It may loosen up a little after years of use but even if you had to replace it after a few years it's like a 15 dollar switch at the most.

but normally people dont wank them,so they obviously will have a longer life..
Quote by deluthe

good idea
i wanted to get a new guitar soon anyway
Quote by fenderfreak100
good idea
i wanted to get a new guitar soon anyway

Sarcasm? Really, do you think using the switch is going to ruin your entire guitar?