I gig a lot now and feel the need to buy a pedal tuner.

How useful/ essential are they?

I was going to buy a cheap line boost to beef up my clean sound but am thinking a tuner will be much more handy and useful.

I was thinking of getting either the Korg Pitch Black or the Guitar Fetish Tuner.

I don't want to be spending more than £40 preferbly on a tuner but the guitar fetish one looks brilliant for the price.

Any ideas?

Thanks
How have you been gigging without a tuner?? I feel bad for your audience.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

How do you tune your instrument without a tuner? Make sure it has two outputs so you can mute the sound while tuning.
Not at all essential, but very useful. You can keep gigging with just a regular tuner and just tune up before your set and if your guitar is set up right it shouldn't be going too far out, but when you get a floor tuner it is so much easier to tune quickly and accurately. If it is to be used at gigs make sure it has a large, bright, easy to read display, and that it is completely transparent (in that it doesn't colour your tone, a literally transparent tuner is not necessary).
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
personally i prefer the Cherub clip on tuner, clips onto your headstock and read vibrations (hence can tune unplugged electric guitar in noisy environs, gotta love that), easy to read in the dark ( reasonable size LED screen) retail in Australia around $30, compared to a normal tune for about $50, and a pedal tuner for around $75 I think
i love my korg pitchblack, nice bright display easy for use in the dark, mutes while being used, reasonably small footprint as well, most important pedal on your board!!!
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
Pedal tuners are only as essential as you think they are. I've played gigs without a tuner before. Of course I was using multiple guitars and had someone offstage tuning my guitars for me.

If you were to get a pedal tuner then I'd go with the Korg Pitchblack.
Quote by mike_biro727
How do you tune your instrument without a tuner? Make sure it has two outputs so you can mute the sound while tuning.

Some people have these really weird things on the side of thier heads, I think they're called ears.

... Although saying that. Get a tuner, it's probably more accurate than your ears. Very few people can tune perfectly using just thier ears.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
cheers for the advice.

Obsiously I tune up before a set haha. One of those shoddy hand held ones that isn't even mine.

Any opinions on the guitar fetish one and the Korg Pitchblack?

They seem very reasonable for the price

EDIT: Check this out...made me laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnosoyhQaHs
Last edited by moominman2 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
personally i prefer the Cherub clip on tuner, clips onto your headstock and read vibrations (hence can tune unplugged electric guitar in noisy environs, gotta love that), easy to read in the dark ( reasonable size LED screen) retail in Australia around $30, compared to a normal tune for about $50, and a pedal tuner for around $75 I think

Yea but these are usually +-5 cent. The standard for gigs is +-3 cent and for studio is +-1 cent. I can tune better with my ear than with my +- 5 cent clip on tuner but it takes longer.
I have an A/B and though I don't gig when I play out (jams etc.) I just put my amp on A and my cheap handheld tuner on B... Silent tuning for around $25 (the cost of the A/B, since I built it.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well considering that electronic tuners are relatively new and were once frowned upon, I'd say they are definitely not essential. Are they useful? Hell yeah. Well, there's a rack tuner in my sig. Rack tuners spoil you, I don't think I could go back to a small tuner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just putting it out there....

If you want a tuner with the best accuracy, you might want to look into the Sonic Research ST 200 Strobe Tuner, Accurate to +_0.02 cents
Questions like this make no sense to me.

How essential is a pedal tuner?

Well that's completly up to you, Sir. Do whatever you feel is needed, if you feel like you would like to have a pedal tuner, buy one. Only you can decide how 'essential' it is for you. There are no rules and regulations in guitar playing, silly.

Some people can tune pretty much perfectly by ear, and so don't need a tuner. Some people are 100% tone deaf and definatly need one to play gigs.

If I were going to buy one I would get a TC Electronics Polytune, just because they're awsome.

Also that demo video made me lol.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Questions like this make no sense to me.

How essential is a pedal tuner?

Well that's completly up to you, Sir. Do whatever you feel is needed, if you feel like you would like to have a pedal tuner, buy one. Only you can decide how 'essential' it is for you. There are no rules and regulations in guitar playing, silly.

Some people can tune pretty much perfectly by ear, and so don't need a tuner. Some people are 100% tone deaf and definatly need one to play gigs.

If I were going to buy one I would get a TC Electronics Polytune, just because they're awsome.

Also that demo video made me lol.

Which is why he didn't say 'do I need a pedal tuner.' I know what you mean about other threads, but I don't think this is a rediculous question.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I feel that my post was wholesome and informative.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
If you're not actually gigging, then in terms of being practical they arn't worth it.

Imo, if you have got a decent guitar then it will hold tune for a fair amount of time. Unless you were playing Drop C# and needed to change to E Standard then you're better off getting a seperate guitar.

Anyway, I use a headstock tuner which works for me.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by denied
If you are gigging, I would strongly recommend you get a floor tuner.

Do you find that the floor goes out of tune?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
At the people who say tune with your ears:

I once saw a band playing live, and the guitarist was tuning without muting his guitar (because he wouldn't hear his strings if he did) and it was awful. I don't recommend tuning on stage using your ears.
Quote by WtrPlyr
At the people who say tune with your ears:

I once saw a band playing live, and the guitarist was tuning without muting his guitar (because he wouldn't hear his strings if he did) and it was awful. I don't recommend tuning on stage using your ears.

How quickly you could tune used to be a display of status. You lot are spoilt rotten. When I started, using a tuner would get you sneers of derision from your peers. The "tuning song" used to be just part of the live experience.
(says the man with a rack tuner )
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Providing your guitar isnt made of toilet paper, i think its reasonable to say that it should be able to survive an hours set, tuning before hand.

So not at all essential in my book. Just keep a pocket tuner just in case.
Quote by denied
If you are gigging, I would strongly recommend you get a floor tuner. It is pretty essential to check that you are constantly in tune.

I use the GFS one, and have had great results with it. Same specs as the pitchblack for a lot cheaper, and seems to be built sturdier.

ive got them both.

in what way is the brick-like pitchblack, NOT sturdy?

with that said, TS if price is a problem, i'd go with GFS over the korg.

you have to pay shipping on it, but even still, it's half the price of the pitchblack,
and is just as cool, just in a different way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
honestly, i find the pitchblack feels a little more substantial.

the battery compartment is a little small on the gfs.

the Blue LED is cool on the GFS, and so is the bypass option.

the Red LED on the pitchblack is a little more subtle, just as easy to read.

i didnt pick up noise with either pedal and they both showed my guitar to be similarly tuned.

provided both pedals work properly. (i've had the pitchblack a while now with no issues.)

i'd have to say a slight edge goes to the pitchblack,

but the GFS is still an excellent value for anyone wanting a good pedal tuner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Not essential if you have a good ear and know how to tune a guitar to itself.

..but very useful because sometimes you cant hear your guitar, especially if your band mates don't shut the @&#^$ UP!

It's also useful as a kill-switch to silence everything with one click. Put it first in your signal path.

Korg Pitch Black or Sonic Reasearch ST-200 is the way to go.
http://www.turbo-tuner.com/