I'm thinking of getting a Godin Velocity because I want something with a thinner neck than my Highway One Strat, since the thick neck generally makes it harder to play fast, especially on the higher frets. But when I look at the guitar's specs, I don't see any that tells how thick the neck is. I want a thin one, similar to your typical guitar for metal.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Well short of getting one in your hands, your only other option is to see if someone with one responds, seeing as the company site provides no info on that. Someone is gonna make the suggestion at some point so I'll do it first and suggest Ibanez. The price point your your apparently looking at it the range of some Prestige Ibanez guitar which have thin necks that sound like what you are looking for.
Guitars: Ibanez RG2550, RG920QM, SZ520QM
Amp: Marshall Haze 15, Eminence Man-O-War Speaker
Effects: Digitech RP250, DIY Keeley Mod DS-1, Jemini
Ibanez, also Jackson guitars have thin necks.

You'll never know exactly what it's gonna feel like untill you've felt it yourself though, obviously.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I would go to the guitar shop and just try a bunch of guitars cause I thought that the smaller neck would make me play so much faster, so I bought an ibanez but I find it uncomfortable to play because the neck is too thin. I would try what you're going to buy before you buy it. I would check out ibanez, jackson, esp, and schecter they tailor their guitars to metal players.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
I would go to the guitar shop and just try a bunch of guitars cause I thought that the smaller neck would make me play so much faster, so I bought an ibanez but I find it uncomfortable to play because the neck is too thin. I would try what you're going to buy before you buy it. I would check out ibanez, jackson, esp, and schecter they tailor their guitars to metal players.

Yep, I personally hate really thin necks, I can play a lot 'faster' on a thicker neck.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Uranutan
I'm thinking of getting a Godin Velocity because I want something with a thinner neck than my Highway One Strat, since the thick neck generally makes it harder to play fast, especially on the higher frets. But when I look at the guitar's specs, I don't see any that tells how thick the neck is. I want a thin one, similar to your typical guitar for metal.

I hate to break it to you, but how fast you can play has little if anything to do with how thick a guitar's neck is. That's mostly an internet myth.

If you want to know how thick something is, get a set of calipers and measure it. If what you really want to know is how a guitar neck feels, there's no substitute for simply holding it.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
I hate to break it to you, but how fast you can play has little if anything to do with how thick a guitar's neck is. That's mostly an internet myth.

If you want to know how thick something is, get a set of calipers and measure it. If what you really want to know is how a guitar neck feels, there's no substitute for simply holding it.

I guess I wasn't really clear on that. Thicker necks are uncomfortable and more difficult for me to play, so it would be easier for me to play faster on a thinner neck.
Anyway, Ibanez and Jackson make some sweet guitars, but I'm not touching a Floyd Rose with a ten foot pole. Way too much work.
Also, I was thinking about the Godin specifically because it seems like it could get strat-type cleans and high-output metal sounds better than most guitars.
Also also, I'm asking because the guitar I'm considering isn't in stores anywhere so I can't try it.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Last edited by Uranutan at Jun 22, 2010,
^Hahah, amen. But seriously, I'd never buy a guitar without playing it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Uranutan
I guess I wasn't really clear on that. Thicker necks are uncomfortable and more difficult for me to play, so it would be easier for me to play faster on a thinner neck.
Anyway, Ibanez and Jackson make some sweet guitars, but I'm not touching a Floyd Rose with a ten foot pole. Way too much work.
Also, I was thinking about the Godin specifically because it seems like it could get strat-type cleans and high-output metal sounds better than most guitars.
Also also, I'm asking because the guitar I'm considering isn't in stores anywhere so I can't try it.

Looking at the Godin I didn't think you wanted floyd style, as such I was gonna suggest the SA260FM or the SV5470, since it looks like you want a trem just not fully floating.
Guitars: Ibanez RG2550, RG920QM, SZ520QM
Amp: Marshall Haze 15, Eminence Man-O-War Speaker
Effects: Digitech RP250, DIY Keeley Mod DS-1, Jemini
email godin and ask them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Strats have thick necks??

Ummm - go play an SG for a while then get back to me.

My Strat's neck was thicker than my Epi LP's. One man's whale is another man's dolphin, bro.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I've played some SG's with standard C shape necks, and some strats with some really fat necks.

TS - Definetly check out the Godin first. The one I played had a similar neck shape to a squeir standard strat. (if that helps) It was pretty thin, but not Wizard thin. Worth checking out in any case. Couldn't hurt to email them, though.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
playing fast depends on on your fretting hand technique, whether your right or left(im assuming right) doesnt make a difference. Of course finding the right neck for your is something all guitarists are subjective to because we all want the right feel. I found a lot of comfort and enjoyment in ESP guitars because most of there necks are a Thin U shape, which i find very comfortable and easy to play. Of course my Dean has a fat C shape neck, and i have no problem tearing that up and down the fretboard.

Like i said, make sure your fretting hand technique is proper. I as well as many other guitars make the mistake of not posistioning the fret hand correctly, and that in hand causes slower playing and discomfort. Hope that helps.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

R7/R8/R9 necks are much bigger. (which is awesome)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.