So i got a new strat yesterday (See my NGD for pics) and i have some string buzz. The last guitar i had this on was on a squier strat so i didnt even bother.

But the strat is buzzing on the E string up to the 7th fret, and the rest of the strings up to the 3rd fret. What do i do?!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Is there a decent amount of curvature in the neck?
Push the first fret on any string, and the 15th fret on the same string.
Then you can see the curve on the neck better.

If you think it could do with a bit more curvature, adjust the truss rod.

If it's curved nicely, get the nut replaced.

Another problem could be your action. Have you tried raising the bridge saddles?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by PsiGuy60
Is there a decent amount of curvature in the neck?
Push the first fret on any string, and the 15th fret on the same string.
Then you can see the curve on the neck better.

If you think it could do with a bit more curvature, adjust the truss rod.

If it's curved nicely, get the nut replaced.

what do you mean by the curvature? i can take pictures of certain things and get them up fast if needed
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
With Strats you don't really need to jack with the truss rod, you should only have to set it once and never jack with it again, just make sure your trem is not cranked down, since the springs in the trem help with the neck tension.

You need to raise your action on that string, it's most likely too low, thus causing buzz, but your going to get some buzz no matter what you do, as long as it's not excessive.
Quote by diceksox1809
what do you mean by the curvature? i can take pictures of certain things and get them up fast if needed

The neck is supposed to have a little curve in it, as opposed to being straight.
If that's not the case, it causes buzz.
Is it a squier strat? I have one as well and the buzzing is annoying. From what I was reading they are famous for doing this. However as ethan said it is normal for a little buzz, but not excessive. I honestly hate any strats but that's me.
Last edited by Metronome at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
With Strats you don't really need to jack with the truss rod, you should only have to set it once and never jack with it again, just make sure your trem is not cranked down, since the springs in the trem help with the neck tension.

You need to raise your action on that string, it's most likely too low, thus causing buzz, but your going to get some buzz no matter what you do, as long as it's not excessive.

Alright how do i raise it on a strat. I dont want to mess anything up, so i need to be certain
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by PsiGuy60
The neck is supposed to have a little curve in it, as opposed to being straight.
If that's not the case, it causes buzz.

Not always, you actually get much better performance if your neck is straight, since there is no curve, then there is no chance for fret buzz, thus you don't loose sustain.

With strats, the neck is supposed to be straight, from the factory, there should be no curve in the neck, if there is, you might want to fix that.
Quote by diceksox1809
Alright how do i raise it on a strat. I dont want to mess anything up, so i need to be certain

Take a look at this thread. It might answer your questions better than I ever can.
Quote by Metronome
Is it a squier strat? I have one as well and the buzzing is annoying. From what I was reading they are famous for doing this. However as ethan said it is normal for a little buzz, but not excessive. I honestly hate any strats but that's me.

No, MIM players Strat.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
No, MIM players Strat.

How bad is the buzzing. Also is it in drop tunning?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Not always, you actually get much better performance if your neck is straight, since there is no curve, then there is no chance for fret buzz, thus you don't loose sustain.

Stop spreading misinformation. This is bull. Guitar necks require relief (curvature) to allow for the string to oscillate when plucked.

To the TS. If your only getting buzz at the first few frets, like 1-7, then you don't have enough relief in your neck. You need to adjust your truss rod. Go here for a good explanation of how to do so - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm
Last edited by Matt420740 at Jun 22, 2010,
Don't play with the truss rod if you don't know what you're doing.

It may just be the action.
Quote by Metronome
How bad is the buzzing. Also is it in drop tunning?

Nope standard.

I still dont understand how to change the action.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by ethan_hanus

With strats, the neck is supposed to be straight, from the factory, there should be no curve in the neck, if there is, you might want to fix that.

Factory spec for relief on a Strat is .012 measured at the 7th fret. You need to have some relief.

Although there are other possible issues, when you have buzzing at the nut end, and not at the bridge end, it's normally a relief issue.

For a point of reference, Clapton's Blackie, I've read, is set at .008 relief, so I would consider that on the 'extreme' side.

Quote by diceksox1809

I still dont understand how to change the action.

If you have checked out the suggested links and still don't understand. Take it to a tech. You might not be suited for this job.
Last edited by Razbo at Jun 22, 2010,
really if you just got it take it back and tell them to fix it, its really hard to try and diagnose a problem with a guitar u cant even hold and see whats wrong with it.
Quote by ethan_hanus

no. no no.no.no.no.

Quote by ethan_hanus

WHAT???? no, no no nooooooo no noo. no.

TS and the other guy with fret buzz,
measure neck relief.
like said, don't adjust anything yet. measure and post back.

fret the first fret low E, at the same time,
fret the last fret low E, where the neck and body meet. ~19th.

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th.

is the string laying on the fret wire there?
is there a gap that a thin pick could fit in?
could a credit card fit in the gap?

try that and post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by jj1565
no. no no.no.no.no.

WHAT???? no, no no nooooooo no noo. no.

TS and the other guy with fret buzz,
measure neck relief.
like said, don't adjust anything yet. measure and post back.

fret the first fret low E, at the same time,
fret the last fret low E, where the neck and body meet. ~19th.

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th.

is the string laying on the fret wire there?
is there a gap that a thin pick could fit in?
could a credit card fit in the gap?

try that and post back.

I did, this, and there is a very very thin gap. what does this mean? should i do it with the other strings?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
you can do it with the other strings if you want. but if you can only fit a thin pick if any in that gap,

then it's safe to turn the truss rod 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

dont force the turn and let the guitar sit in tune while it settles.

dont turn more than a 1/4 turn today.

generally, when you have buzz across frets and especially in the first few frets
a little relief will help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
you can do it with the other strings if you want. but if you can only fit a thin pick if any in that gap,

then it's safe to turn the truss rod 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

dont force the turn and let the guitar sit in tune while it settles.

dont turn more than a 1/4 turn today.

generally, when you have buzz across frets and especially in the first few frets
a little relief will help.

counter clockwise with the guitar facing me?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
yeah put the butt of the guitar on the floor, headstock pointing up, guitar facing you.

look down into the truss rod nut.

picture a clock face. turn 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

and dont force the turn.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Razbo
Factory spec for relief on a Strat is .012 measured at the 7th fret. You need to have some relief.

Although there are other possible issues, when you have buzzing at the nut end, and not at the bridge end, it's normally a relief issue.

For a point of reference, Clapton's Blackie, I've read, is set at .008 relief, so I would consider that on the 'extreme' side.

If you have checked out the suggested links and still don't understand. Take it to a tech. You might not be suited for this job.

Well, all I know is that with every single guitar I've picked up, the "curve" is not noticeable to the eye, unless somethings wrong, so, if I visually cannot see a curve, then I'm going to call it straight. I don't really care about the technical mumbo jumbo, it's never helped me except finding the right parts, I do most of my guitar work by feel, and gradual changes till it's right, I don't use specs, never have, cause, you honestly don't need those kinds of specs, if you want no fret buzz, then you keep adjusting till you get no fret buzz, then if somethings wrong, go backwards till you find a middle point that your comfortable with.

If you want to tell me I'm wrong, and I'm not speaking to you Razbo, then just say I'm wrong and correct me, and don't flip shit on me for "spreading misinformation". We're all learning here, so we(or I) get things wrong every now and then. It's a wonder this site is still so popular with so many pricks on it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, all I know is that with every single guitar I've picked up, the "curve" is not noticeable to the eye, unless somethings wrong, so, if I visually cannot see a curve, then I'm going to call it straight. I don't really care about the technical mumbo jumbo, it's never helped me except finding the right parts, I do most of my guitar work by feel, and gradual changes till it's right, I don't use specs, never have, cause, you honestly don't need those kinds of specs, if you want no fret buzz, then you keep adjusting till you get no fret buzz, then if somethings wrong, go backwards till you find a middle point that your comfortable with.

If you want to tell me I'm wrong, and I'm not speaking to you Razbo, then just say I'm wrong and correct me, and don't flip shit on me for "spreading misinformation". We're all learning here, so we(or I) get things wrong every now and then. It's a wonder this site is still so popular with so many pricks on it.

Hi, dude. I was only one of several saying this was wrong information. (In fact, I was not the poster that used the term "spreading misinformation". ) I believe I fulfilled your request by providing verifiable information in comparison to your statement (then just say I'm wrong and correct me). When on the interweb, prepare to be quoted.

The problem with not using specs is that you can't really communicate anything reliably. It's like discussing music without having theory to define it. Especially when learning, in my opinion at least, you need specifications. One person's concept of 'slight curve' and 'little gap' could be quite different than another's.
Quote by ethan_hanus

You said a strat neck is supposed to be perfectly straight from the factory, which is misinformation, which is why I said stop "spreading misinformation" I wasn't trying to be a prick. I was making sure the TS knew what you said was wrong. As a few other posters also did.

You must realize that when a guy comes on here and asks a question, he gets 15 different answers, some of them right, some of them just completely wrong. If you don't know the answer to his question its better to let someone else answer it than to possibly lead him in the wrong direction.