I have to get my technique up again for an upcoming series of hopeful gigs... therefore... lets have a challenge!!!!

A shred challenge. And not just any shred challenge... it has to be a tasteful shred. All "tasteless wankery" will be disqualified and shamed!!!

So... who's up for it? Are your balls big enough for this one?

Here's the track... thanks to griff for the idea... all give him a big thanks

http://www.box.net/shared/cy3l5smc6k

Verse: Emadd9 Cmaj6 and more

Pre chorus: Asus4 Bsus4 Em

Chorus: Csus2 Dsus2 G D Em x3 C D Em
Last edited by evolucian at Jun 27, 2010,
diminished... remember it said tasteful shred... so one fast line in a bunch of slow notes could just count
Pfft, I thought this was going to be a "who has the Biggest Mullet contest." Close enough

How am I going to shred on bass?
Quote by Pillo114
Pfft, I thought this was going to be a "who has the Biggest Mullet contest." Close enough

How am I going to shred on bass?

Watch and appreciate though I'm pretty sure you've heard of Victor Wooten haha

I might just be up for this! I need to snag my mom's laptop for a little though!
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Watch and appreciate though I'm pretty sure you've heard of Victor Wooten haha

I might just be up for this! I need to snag my mom's laptop for a little though!

I'd be shot if I did that in this forum lol. Plus my setup right now with fretless and nylon covered strings are pretty much the full opposite of being able to slap bass. We'll see, I'm no particular slouch for speed but, it's more for walking lines rather than "tasteful shreds".
Quote by Pillo114
I'd be shot if I did that in this forum lol. Plus my setup right now with fretless and nylon covered strings are pretty much the full opposite of being able to slap bass. We'll see, I'm no particular slouch for speed but, it's more for walking lines rather than "tasteful shreds".

Tasteful... walking... shred? Get microtonal on this bitch.
We'll see what the backing track brings us then. Until then and talking about walking, I need to get a good take of the jazz chart I'm doing. But I'm definitely down for this though.
i never finished the old challenge i wish i'd stop doing that! i got caught up in tweaking my rig b/c parts of the bass weren't coming through like i wanted.
Quote by z4twenny
i never finished the old challenge i wish i'd stop doing that! i got caught up in tweaking my rig b/c parts of the bass weren't coming through like i wanted.

I'll finish my second piece for that challenge if you'll do yours...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Shame I can't really "shred"
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
Shame I can't really "shred"

Then just make an excuse and play tastefully instead... it matters more than how many notes can be squeezed in anyway... so if you can play tastefully and a little fast (or not even fast, but the best of your ability), doesn't have to be much, then you have gained something.

The backtrack will be here 2moro as its midnight at the mo... so I'm glad a few are up for it.

Just play and have some fun.... bring your shoulder pads if you must... dress like Adam Ant if you dare... just have some fun and contribute
Quote by z4twenny
Its ok man, when its done, its done... the week for the complete challenge was just to spur em on into getting it done... a challenge so to say. But the thing still stands and i'll challenge myself with it for quite a while still

I got me shoulder pads and I'm ready to shred, where's the backing track?
lol... I didst forget to record the thing... been practicing on nylon so much... will do... asap
This actually sounds like a great idea
When do entries close?
I'll get on to it tomorrow as my whole family is asleep at the moment
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
A week from today... but there's usually no timeframe

Just people say they'll do it and land up not doing anything... so a week from today sounds good
Yeah, that's easily enough time, I'm not much of a shredder but I just wanna give it a try, it's a great way to practice imo.
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
cool beans yo

I'll have mine done after the match, hopefully someone has turned it in by then so I can get an idea the quality of shredding I might have to conjure.

BTW, I don't know who out of you two is the John Mellencamp fan but the chorus = Human Wheels lol. I know it was 80s but not that type of 80s.
Last edited by Pillo114 at Jun 27, 2010,
^ evo did the chorus and prechorus Dunno whether i should do my take now, im slightly drunk but the outcome could be hilarious
I was feeling frustrated like Wayne waiting so long for someone to finally upload one so I could get an idea of what realistic "shredding" really was.

But here it is, Bass as usual, first as usual:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Pillo114/music/all/play858554

This was absolute first take, no rehearsals. I just heard the backing a few times, wrote the chords down and one timed it. So that's also a particular first for me. I don't know if it's "shred" or "80s ballad", I just reacted instinctively to the backing.

I really liked the backing track though, so props to rodri *cough* evo for taking his time as usual. These series of challenges are turning me into a guitard so I'm done until I can regain my basstard status once again.
Last edited by Pillo114 at Jun 28, 2010,
I may just be up for it to, just depends on how much time I have this week to do it, and if I can get any sort of recording equipment stuff. Does it matter how good the recording quality is?
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Sheesh you guys are slowpokes, by the time someone else posts their take it'll be the 80s again
Quote by Pillo114
Sheesh you guys are slowpokes, by the time someone else posts their take it'll be the 80s again

Hah I made a video... just waiting on it to upload now

Very good stuff Pillo. Your phrasing in the beginning remnds me A LOT of Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask. Your tone makes me laugh though... cause it sounds RIGHT out of the game. I really liked your note choice. Needs more slap!
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 28, 2010,
Cause it deserves the bump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDVgZwEcF58

Here's my contribution! Next time I'll make my guitar a little louder haha

The only thing rehearsed was the starting Em7b5 arpeggio right in the beginning. Everything else is my second take.
I PMed you the critique because it got a bit too long and messy to post in here, good stuff though.

About the Majora's mask reference, after I heard it again after you mentioned it and I noticed what you mean. I forgot how big the soundtrack to that game was too.

Hopefully more people upload their takes though, this thread is going by really slowly. A bassist and a composer in a shred challenge, that sounds like the start of a lame musician joke.
Quote by Pillo114
I PMed you the critique because it got a bit too long and messy to post in here, good stuff though.

About the Majora's mask reference, after I heard it again after you mentioned it and I noticed what you mean. I forgot how big the soundtrack to that game was too.

Hopefully more people upload their takes though, this thread is going by really slowly. A bassist and a composer in a shred challenge, that sounds like the start of a lame musician joke.

Only if the composer was a bassist

I'll reply to the message later... but it made me want to take a slower (though still shreddy) take.
Bumpity Bumpa Bump Bump Ba Bump Bump

As a reminder to a certain few listening to Final Cut that havent uploaded their final cut of this challenge