Page 1 of 3
Edit: This thread is beyond repair. Enjoy.

It used to be about this:

OK, so today I phone the great store known as Room2Rock. In a Middle Eastern country where guitarists are viewed as satanists, it is heaven. I ask them for a price on a 30 watt amplifier. THIRTY watts. They tell me that they have a Randall for about 95-110 Bahraini Dinars. That's more than 250 dollars!!! THAT'S THE PRICE OF MY BEGINNER'S PACKAGE!!! Why are guitar amplifiers that expensive?
After hearing much rants about how amplifiers are all that matters, I decided to get one. After hearing the price, HELL NO. I'm currently thinking of an effects modelling processor device thingamajing. Or my dream Dimarzio Area 67 pickup. If all else fails I will be raising money for a Yamaha RGX with a licensed Floyd Rose and dual humbuckers.

Don't give me some crap about how different guitar amplifiers are. I know so. I tried my guitar through a surround system and I was surprised to find that only the bass strings were sounding. I know guitar amps handle guitar frequencies. But the price? WTF?

I'm 13, btw, and I'm not very happy with what I'd call a "budget."
I have no allowance. My parents don't buy me what I want. I MUST convince my parents to give me an allowance. I'm sick of selling pirated DVDs.
Last edited by BlackSabba at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by BlackSabba
OK, so today I phone the great store known as Room2Rock. In a Middle Eastern country where guitarists are viewed as satanists, it is heaven. I ask them for a price on a 30 watt amplifier. THIRTY watts. They tell me that they have a Randall for about 95-110 Bahraini Dinars. That's more than 250 dollars!!! THAT'S THE PRICE OF MY BEGINNER'S PACKAGE!!! Why are guitar amplifiers that expensive?
After hearing much rants about how amplifiers are all that matters, I decided to get one. After hearing the price, HELL NO. I'm currently thinking of an effects modelling processor device thingamajing. Or my dream Dimarzio Area 67 pickup. If all else fails I will be raising money for a Yamaha RGX with a licensed Floyd Rose and dual humbuckers.

Don't give me some crap about how different guitar amplifiers are. I know so. I tried my guitar through a surround system and I was surprised to find that only the bass strings were sounding. I know guitar amps handle guitar frequencies. But the price? WTF?

I have no allowance. My parents don't buy me what I want. I MUST convince my parents to give me an allowance. I'm sick of selling pirated DVDs.

The main reason: supply and demand i suppose...

You either dish out the cash, or you're royally screwed:p

My dream amp is an ENGL SE EL34... Those cost 2900 euros new xD What I'm going to do is just save for it. Don't spend my cash on worthless crap till I got what I want, might take some years but if you want it bad enough you can wait You could also go used if you're really desperate.
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Last edited by Gego at Jun 22, 2010,
cool story bro. good guitar amps are 2000-3000 usd.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
American parents buy thier children everything! And the parents get free money!

Your a tool.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Thank you brothers...
I'm still pissed though. I wanted a basic amplifier that can sound better.
By comparing my amplifier to other people's, though, I realized that I don't quite "need" one for the tone. The reason is that my amplifier is one of the best ones in a beginner package. For example, my cousin's Yamaha amplifier is pretty horrid. However, mine has clear highs, defined mids, low basses, etc. I think it is because the package was a Washburn. Washburn Guitars is part of the U.S. Music Corp. Shouldn't be hard to figure out that U.S. Music Corporation also owns Randall. Maybe they use Randall for the amplifiers?
May want to move this to GG&A. But like above, $250 is cheap for an amp...shop around and you'll see.
All the "cool story bro" people: you're ****ing uselss.

Look dude if you can't afford an amp the best thing you can probably do for now is get a recording interface and amp modeling VSTs, they won't be like those 3k dollars ampos, but I can asure you they're better than any 30 watts practice amps.
lookup the following VSTs:

-PODfarm
-Amplitube 3
-Overloud TH1
Your location, supply and demand, vat etc will play a huge part in prices.

Obviously your not in America so an American produced amp will be much more expensive where you are. Same in Europe tho, alot of them are way over priced.
you`ll probably able to import a good amp cheaper than what they`re sold for in bahrain.

bahrain being a opec country will inevitably be more expensive than the rest of the world due to it`s affluence.

that being said a 30watt amp in the uk is not much cheaper for a solid state and slightly more for a tube amp.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jun 22, 2010,
Hmmm...

I guess I'll piss and moan to my parents when I need money to buy my dream 6505+ head and cab for what, $2,000...?

Oh and I mean, I have roughly $175 saved up for a new guitar. I've been saving for... Since after I got my new $300 amp in February... (which was half a birthday present, I paid for the other half)

Sell stuff on an online classifieds ad? Thats what I've been doing.
In your case geography has a lot to do with it. Most of the major amp manufacturers are either American or European. American amps cost more in Europe, European amps cost more in America. Unfortunately for you everything costs more in the Middle East =/ Australia has a similar problem with guitar gear.

EDIT: The best thing for you to do really is just to go with whatever gives you a sound you're happy with for the moment and keep saving your money until you can get some quality gear.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 22, 2010,
all the chinese in the world can't make amplifiers any cheaper if a company wants to stay afloat and make profits.

electric guitar is not a cheap hobby, but maybe an acoustic guitar is more suited to your budget
I'm just impressed there are still 13 year olds that can spell and use white space.
If anyone thinks guitar is expensive, try flying rc airplanes
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by BlackSabba

$250 isn't even CLOSE to how much a good amp will cost. Mine would've been $1600 USD brand new, and even though I bought a used one for half, it was still a hefty price tag. Mainly they just cost alot due to the work put into making them, depending on the amp of course, and the majority of the cost is due to shipping it overseas. Try looking at online sites selling used gear; trust me, Ebay and Craigslist are your best friends when buying gear.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ever heard of a bogner uberschall? i want one but the HEAD alone is 2500 and the cab is 1200, i could get a carvin V3 for same price as Cab, just have to stop bitchin and get wat u get, 30W cab for 350 is a good deal, even a marshall MG
Eh.
This is a Trainwreck amp:

They sell for upwards of $30,000 now.

Tone carries a price, the only question is are you willing to pay it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
capitalism.

supply and demand.

the usual reasons.

you're 13 yrs old. which is all good friend. learn technique at this point and worry about having great tone when you can afford it.
Power ratings on amps can't always be linked directly to price /watt ratios.
Certain elements of design required the same basic components regardless of power. Good example is the pre-amp circuits. Whether your amp is 5, 25 or 100W the pre-amp doesn't change much. Solid state are generally cheaper because they usually require a single-output, power supply transformer vs multiple taps for filaments, bias and B+ (Hi Volt) supplies for tubes.
Tube amps also need a power output matching transformer whose cost is related to power handling. Solid state are either capacitively coupled or direct, no transformer required.
Then you need a chassis and some sort of case regardless of power,
Then speakers if it's a combo. Power rating or qulity here affects the rpice of these.
Then markup and profit thru the manufacturing, distribution and final POS.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This is a Trainwreck amp:

They sell for upwards of $30,000 now.

Tone carries a price, the only question is are you willing to pay it?

You're not paying the $30,000 for tone man...

If you love playing guitar that much TS you should move somewhere where listening to music isn't against 90% of the people in your country's religion. TBH though, $250 for a 30 watt amp sounds about right. I paid $400 for my 50 watt Vox awhile back.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Tedward
You're not paying the $30,000 for tone man...

Yeah, I know, once you get to that kind of gear it's also hugely about supply and demand but there is a certain premium on tone and the laws of supply and demand don't jack the price up that much without the demand being there

I was just being obtuse anyway, realistically the most you can expect to pay for tone and features on it's own (factoring in location and such) is about $4000 american for a Deizel VH4 or Herbert.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Hmmm...

I guess I'll piss and moan to my parents when I need money to buy my dream 6505+ head and cab for what, $2,000...?

Oh and I mean, I have roughly $175 saved up for a new guitar. I've been saving for... Since after I got my new $300 amp in February... (which was half a birthday present, I paid for the other half)

Sell stuff on an online classifieds ad? Thats what I've been doing.
kind of off topic but if you're paying $2000 for a 6505 + cab then you are paying way too much.
Quote by al112987
kind of off topic but if you're paying $2000 for a 6505 + cab then you are paying way too much.

Not if you're buying new and getting a really good cab.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Gundamnitpete
If anyone thinks guitar is expensive, try flying rc airplanes

shouldn`t crash them so much then....back on topic....
The cheapest large amp I saw was at the music shop for a 60 watt amp for 130-160 bucks. I think it just depends on what, where, who, and when.
GIMMESUGA RIGHT NOW
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, I know, once you get to that kind of gear it's also hugely about supply and demand but there is a certain premium on tone and the laws of supply and demand don't jack the price up that much without the demand being there

I was just being obtuse anyway, realistically the most you can expect to pay for tone and features on it's own (factoring in location and such) is about $4000 american for a Deizel VH4 or Herbert.

No, you're paying for the name. If you pay $30,000 for an amp or guitar, you're probably a rich collector. I doubt the Trainwreck sounds much better than any amp you can buy for $3000, but think, there are maybe 10 of those Trainwrecks vs. 1 million Mesa MarkV's.

If you were looking for that kind of tone, you'd have a custom clone built and save yourself $25. I mean it's not like people would actually take their Trainwreck or Dumble to a gig. lol

$4000, while it is a lot, really isn't EXTREMELY unreasonable. I mean for an amp maybe, but it is basically half the instrument. Compare it to even cheap Tubas and baritone Saxophones, it's not that much, although amps are really just circuits that anyone could build if they had instructions, whereas you have to be some kind of master woodworker to build a world-class double bass that would cost some $20,000 or something.
a really good trainwreck or dumble clone costs 4-5k tops. if you buy the real thing you're a collector. or john mayer.

dude you're 13. Calm down, fap and take a nap or something. You're not the only one dealing with not being able to afford good gear. I know it's harder for you since you live where you do but still bitchin and moaning wont help you much.
if money is an issue my only suggestion is:

ARMED ROBBERY
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
As proclaimed, $250 dollars is not a lot of money to put down for an amp. In fact, that's prety damn cheap. Sorry we live in America, where money grows out of out butts.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
As proclaimed, $250 dollars is not a lot of money to put down for an amp. In fact, that's prety damn cheap. Sorry we live in America, where money grows out of out butts.

yeah,thats pretty cheap,In switzerland,the normal price of a 75w line 6 spider is 590 CHF,thats almost like 540 $
Quote by gregs1020
capitalism.

supply and demand.

the usual reasons.

you're 13 yrs old. which is all good friend. learn technique at this point and worry about having great tone when you can afford it.

Basic economics FTW.
alternatively,
why are guitar beginner packs so damn cheap?

Thanks all! I have something to proclaim... when I said that I live in the Middle East, and that my parents don't want much to do with anything musical, those were two different ideas. I wasn't implying that Americans get free money. I'm 13 too, so telling me that 250 is not much is pretty crazy relatively to me.

If I'm going to take anything I'm considering an effects processor with 3.5 mm headphone output. I've pirated Amplitube 3, but...

I'm using an ancient recording rig. This is how it goes: Guitar > 1/4 input in a DVD player > RCA to 3.5 converter > computer line in. The problem is that, mysteriously, it has an AWFUL amount of noise, so it's amplifying more noise than tone. Using one of those (much more simple) guitar>computer cables is not going to help me much since I can't use it with an amplifier, AND transporting a comp for tone is just ridiculous. An effects processor will work with an amp, can work with a computer, and is portable. Sigh... my opinion.
Page 1 of 3