so i want to cut an extra cutaway in the pickup selector area of my LP. the round non cutaway part, i want to cut a piece out.
THE PROBLEM: the selector switch hole is placed near where i want to cut, now you may think, "just cut above it, duh" but (and this is the real question) if i cut above the selector switch hole, will there be enough wood in between the hole and the cutaway? or will i need to fill it with wood, then cut through that?
im rather confused, :S mucho gracias amigos
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
yeah i know, i was planning to anyways, im also gonna bevel some stuff, and shave a few places and what not but if i was to fill it with wood, how would i do so?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
but the hole has an inch wide diameter. approx.
and its at least an inch deep. is wood filler adequate for the size of this hole?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
no. you would have to glue in a new piece of wood. you should always avoid wood filler if you can anyway, because it will shrink in the hole which can screw up the finish on the guitar.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
no. you would have to glue in a new piece of wood. you should always avoid wood filler if you can anyway, because most will shrink in the hole which can screw up the finish on the guitar.

Fixed.

Fill the hole with wood as said. If it's a perfect circle, buy a wooden dowel to fill it with.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
If it's a perfect circle, buy a wooden dowel to fill it with.

...and if it's not- just drill it a little larger, which will also get rid of the lip for the switch cavity cover.
k cool, thanks
also, how do i get the little plastic thing around the switch on the top of the body that says "Neck" "Bridge"
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
^Unscrew the nut and washer and pray to the sweet, merciful lord up above that you have one of the ones that aren't glued on.
If it's glued on, use your pick to wedge it underneath and pull it off, like i did. The scratches are hardly noticeable, anyway, but seeing as you're refinishing you could use a razorblade if you were so inclined.
Quote by Dr.Tong
yeah i know, i was planning to anyways, im also gonna bevel some stuff, and shave a few places and what not but if i was to fill it with wood, how would i do so?

lol i just read your sig

look at my avatar

D:

sorry but I don't think I have anything useful to contribute to this thread