Help Pit! I need a song for the end of college concert.. (female voice)

It might be a bit sad, but this is the first place I thought to come to.

Basically, I'm taking part in our annual college concert, like I have for the last 3 years. This year they gave me 'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder, which was a tough call to say the least. The arrangement is way to low for my vocal range, so the organiser has given me 2 days to find a song I want to do.

I need to find a solo song that is accompanied by either only a piano, or a small band. I really can't sing low, but I can hit high notes - think Beyonce's high notes.

I'd prefer a song sung by a female artist - just because the lyrics would probably fit better and my vocal range... It also needs to be fairly well known song, one that most people of my generation will know - as my band will be made up of my classmates.

For starting points, think Florence and the Machine, Alicia Keys, Maroon 5...

Thanks pit
Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.
"Travelling Woman" by Bat For Lashes
Not too well-known I'd think. But it's a try.
Something by Nightwish?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
You've Got A Freind - Carole King. Title might be a bit wrong, but it's something like that.
Up The Boro!
I love it when girl's sing Hallelujah, but, lots of people do it, and parts may be too low for you.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Emilyyy.
It might be a bit sad, but this is the first place I thought to come to.

Basically, I'm taking part in our annual college concert, like I have for the last 3 years. This year they gave me 'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder, which was a tough call to say the least. The arrangement is way to low for my vocal range, so the organiser has given me 2 days to find a song I want to do.

I need to find a solo song that is accompanied by either only a piano, or a small band. I really can't sing low, but I can hit high notes - think Beyonce's high notes.

I'd prefer a song sung by a female artist - just because the lyrics would probably fit better and my vocal range... It also needs to be fairly well known song, one that most people of my generation will know - as my band will be made up of my classmates.

Thanks pit

****ing do virtual insanity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJmX1z1NY2c
BAM
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Another Way to Die by Alicia Keys and Jack White. Or something like Epica, Haggard, or the like.
Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird

Very recognizable, vocals are the strongest part, dont need a large band.
Quote by mac_attack

not a bad one.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I love it when girl's sing Hallelujah, but, lots of people do it, and parts may be too low for you.

I play this all the time on guitar, just using a capo so it fits my range!
Thank youuu, I hadn't though of his

Thanks for the suggestions guys, please keep them coming..
Quote by Emilyyy.

Thanks pit

Why not some Alicia Keys? Sounds pretty perfect to me, piano + bass + drum kit + you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by mac_attack

Some one did this last year D:
ellie goulding <- 10000% serious!!!!!!!!!!!

songs to look at: this love, the writer, lights, salt skin, under the sheets. basically any off her album "lights"

she's my favourite new artist after seeing her open for john mayer at wembley. think high voice with indie backing and synth but not edited high, just naturally high like florence & the machine.

you might probably know of her as she sung that song "starry eyed"

GO YOUTUBE NOW! you WILL like her. i guarantee it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Dempsey68

songs to look at: this love, the writer, lights, salt skin, under the sheets. basically any off her album "lights"

she's my new favourite artist after seeing her open for john mayer at wembley. think high voice with indie backing and synth but not edited high, just naturally high like florence & the machine.

DUDE, I was at the same concert as you, although, we have very differed opinions on Goulding...

John Mayer's performance was amazing; best concert I've ever been to. His tone was just mindblowing.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Dempsey68

she's my favourite new artist after seeing her open for john mayer at wembley. think high voice with indie backing and synth but not edited high, just naturally high like florence & the machine.

you might probably know of her as she sung that song "starry eyed"

Thank you! I really like Ellie Goulding, another artist I didn't think about
Sarah Fimm - Counting Waves or Tamara Song

Pretty basic pop songs but if you can pull it off, people will be sure to like it.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
DUDE, I was at the same concert as you, although, we have very differed opinions on Goulding...

John Mayer's performance was amazing; best concert I've ever been to. His tone was just mindblowing.

which one were you at? 26th or 27th? i was at the 27th one where he did in your atmosphere, sung with some girl in the crowd, mistook mexico's flag for italy's and sung don't stop believing! would have liked some stop this train or the heart of life though... but i got them back in 08 when i seen him in manchester academy xD

i think he did free falling and a few others like belief at the 26th though.
Quote by Dempsey68
which one were you at? 26th or 27th? i was at the 27th one where he did in your atmosphere, sung with some girl in the crowd, mistook mexico's flag for italy's and sung don't stop believing! would have liked some stop this train or the heart of life though... but i got them back in 08 when i seen him in manchester academy xD

i think he did free falling and a few others like belief at the 26th though.

Yeah, I saw him on the 26th.

He did all the songs I wanted him to do, my favourites were Slow Dancing, Heartbreak Warfare, Why Georiga/Message In A Bottle (cover) and Gravity.

He kept talking about it being his dream to come to Wembley, and apparently, he's gonna return next year, I'm definitely going again.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Can't you just transpose Superstition into a higher register?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Yeah, I saw him on the 26th.

He did all the songs I wanted him to do, my favourites were Slow Dancing, Heartbreak Warfare, Why Georiga/Message In A Bottle (cover) and Gravity.

He kept talking about it being his dream to come to Wembley, and apparently, he's gonna return next year, I'm definitely going again.

we didn't get message in a bottle but got why georgia first, heartbreak warfare, slow dancing and also crossroads though i'm not a big fan of his cover of crossroads =/ here's the setlist from our concert http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-mayer/2010/wembley-arena-london-england-7bd4c628.html had a look at yours, with the exception of crossroads which i'd swap for message in a bottle i think we got the better setlist tbh (then again it was the first one on sale so technically the first night which he went on about then how much he loved us) and the encore was AWESOME! crowd chanting some tune/riff that he'd got us to do earlier and then he just made some on the spot song thing up based on it and it was just amazing!!!

as you can tell by my info at the side <- he's like my favouritest person EVAR xD
Quote by BlindSilence917
Can't you just transpose Superstition into a higher register?

I suggested it, but they don't want to have to sort the band out D:
Stand By Me- Ben E. King? it's a fun song to sing, The John Lennon version is good too.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

james morrison.

you give me somthing.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Teardrop- Massive Attack feat. Portishead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cL_1bmYCzs

Guarenteed to be jaw-dropping if you can pull it off.

Or get a backing choir and sing "Rome wasn't built in a day- Morcheeba"
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by the_white_bunny
james morrison.

you give me somthing.

Was done last year They took all the good ones..
New York State of Mind haha

It might be a little low but she jumps around a lot so idk, but Macy Gray - I Try

Anything by Lydia would sound great!
Quote by shattamakar
Teardrop- Massive Attack feat. Portishead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cL_1bmYCzs

Guarenteed to be jaw-dropping if you can pull it off.

Or get a backing choir and sing "Rome wasn't built in a day- Morcheeba"

Teardrop is such beautiful song I wouldn't want to ruin it!
Quote by blake1221
New York State of Mind haha

I was supposed to do this but then they changed it to Superstition, 'cause everyone else got bored of it Bastards
I've had the time of my liiiiiiiiiiiife... And I owe it all to YOUUUUUUUUU!
Quote by Emilyyy.
Was done last year They took all the good ones..

do "thats the way" by led zepplin.
or
some journey he sings high.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E