Okay well right now I'm selling my Michael Kelly guitar on Ebay, and when that sells, I'm planning on buying a new guitar with some money I've saved up and the money from the Michael Kelly. I've played guitar for a while now, and I play many different instruments and all sorts of genres of music, almost anything you can name. I used to be really into lead playing, which is okay sometimes, but I've really gotten into rhythm guitar playing and mixing it with lead, adding fingerpicking, blues, songwriting, and who knows what. I play a lot of rock stuff, jazz stuff, making things up, and all sorts of things.

And don't worry, I do have a point to all this. I've never paid much attention to telecasters (I'm sorry you tele fans out there), but the Tele Deluxe caught my eye. I've always loved most of what Fender does, and I really like the Stratocaster necks, so when you put that on a tele body with humbuckers, that would just seem like a dream. I haven't got to play them a whole lot, but I'm just kind of iffy on them, because I've rushed into buying guitars a lot in the past and end up wanting to sell them later on. Plus $700 isn't chump change, and I can't find any used Tele Deluxes around. I've been looking into Telecasters, and I've never been too sold on there looks, but i do love the body style. And I've heard that they are very versatile, and have a great sound. I do like to have a fat sound though, could i get that out of a Tele? I have a Vox VT30, an incredible amp, and do you think I could get any sound I want on a Tele through that amp? If anyone could help me, that'd be awesome. Thank you
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the tele deluxe. If you want a 2-HB Gibson, get a Gibson. If you want a superstrat, get a superstrat. I don't think it makes sense to try to turn a tele into what it's not by putting on a strat neck and gibson-style pickups.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
tele casters and humbucers naturaly have a fat sound
but if you turn the treble up on your amp and use the top pickup it should sound fine
I get what your saying, but Im really just looking for a guitar thats versatile. And also with the Tele Deluxes, its still Fender pickups, so its not like someone slapped on Gibson pu's to get it to sound like a Les Paul. Its still got its own sound
They do? i always though of telecasters as being trebly and twangy, which theres nothing wrong with, but i would like to be able to go from twangy to fat to whatever else else i might want... too bad you would have to do some routing if you wanted another pickup... but Ill keep an eye on teles. Ive heard good things.
Quote by feelthemusic
I get what your saying, but Im really just looking for a guitar thats versatile. And also with the Tele Deluxes, its still Fender pickups, so its not like someone slapped on Gibson pu's to get it to sound like a Les Paul. Its still got its own sound

It's fender cloning Gibson-style pickups though. It won't sound exactly like a Les Paul because of the body wood, but that's the market they were trying to compete in when they originally made the tele deluxe.

I wouldn't say it will be more versatile than any other 2-HB fixed bridge guitar, which is to say not very.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by feelthemusic
They do? i always though of telecasters as being trebly and twangy, which theres nothing wrong with, but i would like to be able to go from twangy to fat to whatever else else i might want... too bad you would have to do some routing if you wanted another pickup... but Ill keep an eye on teles. Ive heard good things.

The tele twang comes first and foremost from the pickup design an bridge design. If you throw those out (and the tele deluxe has neither) then no twang for you.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
It's fender cloning Gibson-style pickups though. It won't sound exactly like a Les Paul because of the body wood, but that's the market they were trying to compete in when they originally made the tele deluxe.

I wouldn't say it will be more versatile than any other 2-HB fixed bridge guitar, which is to say not very.

your right about that, I guess its all up to what you prefer. If you like Fender bodies and necks, you would go with the deluxe. If your a Gibson guy, you'd stick with a Les Paul. Just what you prefer i guess
Quote by Even Bigger D
The tele twang comes first and foremost from the pickup design an bridge design. If you throw those out (and the tele deluxe has neither) then no twang for you.

Do you think though that I could get a load of sounds out of a Telecaster? If I can't afford/dont want to pay for the deluxe, do you think I could get fat sounds out of a regular tele? Or would I probably have to end up changing pickups? Or could that all be something you could change in an amp?
Hint: Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

It's got 3 single-coils, 5-way switching. From my own experience, you get that traditional tele twang, but you can coax some mellow tones as well. Think of it like a SSS Strat, but with the traditional Tele tones/body instead. I use mine mostly for clean, mellow bluesy type stuff, but it can handle high gains/distortion as well (you don't necessarily need humbuckers to play rock/metal).
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Quote by feelthemusic
Do you think though that I could get a load of sounds out of a Telecaster? If I can't afford/dont want to pay for the deluxe, do you think I could get fat sounds out of a regular tele? Or would I probably have to end up changing pickups? Or could that all be something you could change in an amp?

A stock tele is pretty versatile. The bridge pickup handles moderate distortion well and is aggressive sounding. The neck pickup is rounder and more mellow sounding. In terms of changing pickups, my tele has an EMG T set, which sounds pretty much like standard tele pickups but with higher output and no noise. For a standard MIM tele, I would probably consider changing the pickups mostly because Fender seems to have a hard time making good ones.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
A stock tele is pretty versatile. The bridge pickup handles moderate distortion well and is aggressive sounding. The neck pickup is rounder and more mellow sounding. In terms of changing pickups, my tele has an EMG T set, which sounds pretty much like standard tele pickups but with higher output and no noise. For a standard MIM tele, I would probably consider changing the pickups mostly because Fender seems to have a hard time making good ones.

Thank you, and I know teles are played in all genres, I just didnt want too much "twang". Don't get me wrong, I love country, but I would like to be able to do stuff like add textures and hammer down fat fuzzy riffs, switch between jazzy kinds of stuff to White Stripes, etc. How do teles do in the low-end and mids part?
Quote by feelthemusic
Thank you, and I know teles are played in all genres, I just didnt want too much "twang". Don't get me wrong, I love country, but I would like to be able to do stuff like add textures and hammer down fat fuzzy riffs, switch between jazzy kinds of stuff to White Stripes, etc. How do teles do in the low-end and mids part?

I bought a Tele Deluxe just a little over a year ago and i must say it never disappoints me no matter what I play. From metal to country to pop-punk and pretty much anything in between it sounds good. The Humbuckers are wide-range I believe so that should give you an idea of how it will sound. It doesn't have the "twang" of the normal Telecaster which you said you wanted but more of a "fat" sound with a bite
Quote by feelthemusic

For those things, you'll be fine. Where it doesn't work so well obviously is high gain that would require a bridge humbucker.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12