I recently purchased a Boss FS-5U non-latching footswitch so i can control some of my effect pedals without actually pressing on them and getting the clicking sound. (It can be done, matt balamy from muse is doing it, along with numerous other guitarists.)---- BUT the boss footswitch has only one input, how can i incorporate it into my fx chain. I tried using a Dual 1/4" Patch Cable (look it up on musicians friend or something if u dont know what it looks like), but i still cant get it to work. If someone knows how to connect it PLEASE help!!! I had this footswitch for a couple months and cant figure out how to make it work.
TS, it sounds like you are trying to disengage your effects all at once without having to press them individually, is this correct?
If so, the foot-switch is not a looper, you can't just shut off all your effects with it. You would need to set them up in an effects loop. Like the Boss Line Selector.
That footswitch is normally used to change tempo's on delays, et al. It is also used to possibly change channels on amps, though this is normally done with a midi controller. It can also be used with others that either have extra settings like multi effects, so you can go through patches.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Jun 22, 2010,
pretty much all i want to do is connect a nonlatching footswitch to an effect pedal so i can turn on and turn off the fx pedal with one stomp, as opposed to two stomps on a conventional pedal.
Quote by eugene1129
pretty much all i want to do is connect a nonlatching footswitch to an effect pedal so i can turn on and turn off the fx pedal with one stomp, as opposed to two stomps on a conventional pedal.

What, you don't make sense
A footswitch is for changing the channel on your amp or other devices, but it can't switch on/off a stompbox. And I don't what you are talking when you say that you need two stomps to turn on/off a stombox
how it works is when i press down on the boss footswitch the effect will turn on, and when i let go the effect will turn off. this way there is going to be no clicking sound when the fx pedal is being turned on. and the fx pedal can be rapidly turned on and off. i was planning on using this contraption to control my delay, so i could create a wave of sound. or something like that.
the footswitch is not a conventional amp footswitch, its a boss FS-5U Nonlatching Footswitch. look it up to know how it looks-------and my problem is that the footswitch has only one input.
TS, you're problem is that instead of buying a true bypass looper with a non-latching footswitch, you bought a momentary footswitch which cannot be used for the purpose you have just described.

To solve, buy a true bypass looper instead. Either return the FS-5U or use it as a tap tempo for your delay.
Gear

Ibanez RG321mh
GND Strat
Laney Cub 12
Crybaby GCB-95
Boss TU-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Marshall BB-2
EHX Little Big Muff
Joyo Ultimate Drive
SHO Clone
Boss DD-7
Boss DD-20
Boss CH-1
Daphone Volume Pedal
Quote by kingpenguin
TS, you're problem is that instead of buying a true bypass looper with a non-latching footswitch, you bought a momentary footswitch which cannot be used for the purpose you have just described.

To solve, buy a true bypass looper instead. Either return the FS-5U or use it as a tap tempo for your delay.

thank u, finally someone knows what he's talking about. now my question is what is tap tempo?, and what is a true bypass looper? and how can i connect the fs-5u to a delay?
Quote by eugene1129
thank u, finally someone knows what he's talking about. now my question is what is tap tempo?, and what is a true bypass looper? and how can i connect the fs-5u to a delay?

You can only connect the FS-5U to a delay that has an input for a tap tempo pedal (like the Boss DD-7), it will allow you to tap the tempo in, this means that repititions of the delay will be on the tempo you tapped. A true bypass looper is something like this:

you plug a cable from the "send" jack to the input of your pedal and the return to the ouput of the pedal. This allows you to switch the pedal or multiple pedals out of your chain. But this not what though because from what I understand you want something like that but that only switches the loop momentarly on. I never saw a device that does this but it would very easy to build or you could easily modify a normal TB looper with a momentary switch.
And btw, I know what I'm talking about, but your OP was very confusing.
thanks sguit, sorry if i offended u, my writing was confusing. so there is no way to connect the boss footswitch to a mxr carbon copy, which dosnt have a special tap delay input.
Quote by Sguit

And btw, I know what I'm talking about, but your OP was very confusing.

I agree, It was only from your later post, that I had a clue what you meant, and I own the FS-5U footswitch...

for tap tempo, It depends what delay pedal you have whether this is possible, if it is, there should be a jack input which is labelled "tap tempo" or something similar, It allows you to set the speed or "tempo" of the delays by "tapping" crotchets (Quarternotes), on the pedal.

In terms of true bypass loopers, I doubt you will be able to buy one with a momentary switch, but with a small amount of soldering one could be easily modified.

What delay pedal do you have, I can get some pretty "wave-ey" sounds out of my DD-7 by setting the feedback levels pretty high and messing around turning it on and off for different things. If you have something like a line 6 DL-4 then you can use delays and the looper at the same time, play around with it and you can get some cool sounds, I've also done this using two DD7's (one as a looper).

Edit: was typing when you posted, no there isn't anyway to use it as you intended, or as a tap tempo.
Gear

Ibanez RG321mh
GND Strat
Laney Cub 12
Crybaby GCB-95
Boss TU-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Marshall BB-2
EHX Little Big Muff
Joyo Ultimate Drive
SHO Clone
Boss DD-7
Boss DD-20
Boss CH-1
Daphone Volume Pedal
Last edited by kingpenguin at Jun 24, 2010,
i could have swore i read somewhere that you can connect the boss footswitch with a regular effect pedal but maybe i misunderstood. plus matt balamy from muse is doing it, i saw pictures, but maybe he has the pedal modified or something. nevermind the pedal is only $20, no big lose of money.
Eugene, check out this site: This1smyne.com. Dan can build you what you are looking for and even mod your Carbon Copy for a tap tempo. You may have to loose the 9V battery compartment, but Dan can certainly mod a jack for a tap tempo. Email him: this1smyne@hotmail.com, great guy, willing to do what you need. He can make you a bypass loop strip w/ a tap tempo switch incorporated as well. Pretty much what you could imagine.
Quote by jnepo1
Eugene, check out this site: This1smyne.com. Dan can build you what you are looking for and even mod your Carbon Copy for a tap tempo. You may have to loose the 9V battery compartment, but Dan can certainly mod a jack for a tap tempo. Email him: this1smyne@hotmail.com, great guy, willing to do what you need. He can make you a bypass loop strip w/ a tap tempo switch incorporated as well. Pretty much what you could imagine.

thnks, i will check it out
Quote by eugene1129
i could have swore i read somewhere that you can connect the boss footswitch with a regular effect pedal but maybe i misunderstood. plus matt balamy from muse is doing it, i saw pictures, but maybe he has the pedal modified or something. nevermind the pedal is only $20, no big lose of money.

He uses it with a switching system. The Boss isn't doing the switching, it's telling the switching unit to do it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
He uses it with a switching system. The Boss isn't doing the switching, it's telling the switching unit to do it.

according to his interview for guitar player magazine (july edition), he uses it to control the hold function on a digitech reverb pedal for creating big washes of noise. but perhaps the digitech reverb pedal has special input for it.