My guitar has been sitting in my soft case for a few days since my last show and today I noticed that I have a dead fret. It is on the high E string, fifth fret. Is this something that I can fix myself or do I need to bring it to a shop? Also I didnt notice it at my show on saturday so I assume it was fine when I played, but does something like this happen so I can prevent more dead frets occurring?
is there a dent in the fret?

is there a kink in the string?

is the fret too high?

if it's a fret issue, i suggest you get it redressed for about $20.

if it's the string, change it, and if it's more than one fret, raising the action might help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Im not 100% sure but the fret looks pretty flat and there's a mark where the string makes contact with the fret on the fifth fret.
frets are very delicate, every time you change strings gently rub off all crap on the fretboard and frets with a soft sock or cloth, this will help prevent dead frets.

take your guitar to a local shop and they should fix it quite cheaply.
is harmonic on the fifth fret still working if not you'll most likely need a luthier to fix it

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by Rangor6363
is harmonic on the fifth fret still working if not you'll most likely need a luthier to fix it

The harmonic is working.
Maybe its not a dead fret, because The pitch is still an "A" and different from the 4th and 6th frets, but its sounds muffled (and buzzy maybe?) and stops vibrating quickly, way before any other not I play with it.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
Maybe its not a dead fret, because The pitch is still an "A" and different from the 4th and 6th frets, but its sounds muffled (and buzzy maybe?) and stops vibrating quickly, way before any other not I play with it.

if there's a dent in the fret and it's cutting short, that's a dead fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
that generally means ths the next fret.

see if you fret the e on the 5th fret, the string touches the 5th nd must pass OVER the 6th fet and so on. so if its buzzy and muffled that means the 6th fret is too high, or the 5th is too low, ad the string is not passing the 6th correctly. so when you fret the 5th, it just barely is touching the 6th.

that going to require a fret dress.

HOWEVER. if this is teh case, try raising your action at the bridge a hair. and i mean barely anything. small adjustments mak a noticable difference. however, you will have ot raise it too high to get rid of it. but it will improve it.