Page 1 of 3
Chancellor George Osborne increased VAT from 17.5% to 20% and cut welfare spending as he moved "decisively" to tackle Britain's record debts.

Child benefit and public sector pay will be frozen and 25% cut from public service spending - but alcohol, tobacco and fuel will escape tax hikes.

Unveiling his first Budget to MPs, Mr Osborne said "tough but fair" action on debt was "unavoidable".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/politics/10371590.stm

Thoughts? Osborne says "Everyone will pay something but the people at the bottom of the income scale will pay proportionately less than those at the top. This is a progressive Budget" but honestly I don't see how cutting welfare spending is doing so.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's stupid and cruel, why doesn't he volunteer to pay more tax?

Oh yeah, because he's a greedy pig-nosed Tory.
I thought you meant Ozzy Osbourne.. and then i thought why he would have the authority to increase VAT rates. Then I was mistaken....
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
i have a 6 month window to buy the stuff i want. lol.

"people at the bottom will pay disproportionately less than those at the top"?

nice try there george. maybe if they don't buy, like, anything for the next 5 years.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know nothing about politics but I'm pretty sure that this isn't your government TS.

Why are alcohol, tobacco and fuel exempt?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Finally! VAT rates were way too low. People should pay huge amounts to buy everything! Yay!

Quote by padgea7x
I know nothing about politics but I'm pretty sure that this isn't your government TS.

They've got their own taxes.
Quote by padgea7x

Fuel is already taxed about the same as Americans pay altogether per gallon.
Remember when VAT dropped to 15%?

That's right. Barely anything. It's and extra £2.50 out of every £100. That ain't much, is it?
Still, it's not like we're not used to it. We've always been taxed to death.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Tory.
Oh you brits and your silly words.

How cutting welfare and public spending will help is beyond me, seems like a poor course of action.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Don't worry, David "£30m man" Cameron will pay more tax!

oh.

I don't see this as "progressive" at all. It's regressive. Heading back to the Conservative Glory Days the bad old days.

The 880,000 supposed people that are taken out of the tax system won't help a jot with the VAT increase and frozen child benefits.

The bank levy doesn't go far enough. A tiny percentage of each transaction made in the financial sector would go further rather than than the £2bn he hopes to raise. It also doesn't look like (I haven't read the full thing) much of the equity firms responsible for some of the crises of recent times will be particularly accountable.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I thought I'd give the tories a chance atleast after they came into power but they haven't exactly earned my trust or respect.

Quote by padgea7x

It's not? Oh dear

Quote by BeefWellington

That's right. Barely anything. It's and extra £2.50 out of every £100. That ain't much, is it?

He's raising the VAT and cutting spending so it's gonna be alot for people.
Quote by padgea7x

Because the government gets a huge amount of money from people being addicted to things. If the price rises, people will smoke and drink less, and that will mean less money not more.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Another reason why US is better!
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
It's not as bad as what America's gonna have to suffer through come 2011. We've historically had decent taxes. Now, in a bad economy, our government is letting a ten year tax cut expire. So, a lot of us are out of work or have to go back to school cuz we can't just sit on our asses, there's a tax increase coming up. Good idea, guys!

But, I gotta say, you Brits prolly, overall, have been taxed more. After all, you've had socialized medicine all these years, while we're just getting it come 2014. I think most of us can agree, both Brits and Yanks, that...

taxes = shit!

Quote by captaincrunk

They've got their own taxes.

Ah right, fair enough.

Quote by Kensai
It's not? Oh dear

They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Let's go back to 15% VAT last year, that was better.

This mainly annoys me as I work for a company that does a lot of quotations for building work and such (I'm not sure the term for that type of work as a field... but we specifically are a chimney, roofing, and woodburning stove company) and customers are going to get so SO whiney about how expensive their quotes are... One sixth of what they pay won't even make it to us! I truly didn't appreciate what a swizz VAT is until recently!
Quote by Kensai
He's raising the VAT and cutting spending so it's gonna be alot for people.

But will it be enough? That's my worry. There's probably quite a bit more he could find to cut. Either way, everybody's going to have to tighten their belts, grit their teeth and get on with it.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Won't the VAT increase just cause MASSIVE, inflation?

Or above average inflation....

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Meh it's not that big a deal. This budget could have been a shit load worse than it was.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by BeefWellington

that's a fair bit if you're on the breadline. also if you're going back to the 15% rate, that's an extra fiver per hundred quid.

also it's the principle of the thing- if you're a lefty it's regressive, if you're a righty it discourages consumption (which is the backbone of the economic system). If they're loathe to raise income tax because it stifles demand, why raise VAT which arguably stifles it more (because (a) the poor pay more so can afford to pay less, with income tax the poor get more take-home pay and (b) because VAT is an actual tax on consumption, you can choose not to buy something if you disagree significantly with the tax or how much it as, whereas you can't choose not to pay income tax*, you've already paid it, and you've paid your income tax whether or not you choose to buy said item).

* unless you're rich and have a good accountant who's au fait with converting income to capital gains, venture capital investment, and/or who goes on holiday regularly to the caymans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It's not as bad as what America's gonna have to suffer through come 2011. We've historically had decent taxes. Now, in a bad economy, our government is letting a ten year tax cut expire. So, a lot of us are out of work or have to go back to school cuz we can't just sit on our asses, there's a tax increase coming up. Good idea, guys!

Decent? Ahum...

Quote by BeefWellington
But will it be enough? That's my worry. There's probably quite a bit more he could find to cut. Either way, everybody's going to have to tighten their belts, grit their teeth and get on with it.

Will what be enough?
Quote by BeefWellington

some people will have to tighten their belts more than others.

Also "either way" is something of a false dichotomy (unichotomy?). there are plenty of ways we could fund things if we were willing to pay for them and were less willing to pay for other things.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Won't the VAT increase just cause MASSIVE, inflation?

Or above average inflation....

2.5%, probably. that's if it's passed on.

i doubt it'll be that big a deal, in terms of inflation. if anything, we're in danger of deflation.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
taxes = shit!

Indeed. Who needs, roads, police, fire departments, ambulances, education, science research, a legal system etc...

Taxes do not vanish into a black hole. When they take your money, they do not piss (all of) it up the wall. It is spent on very useful things that you use and that society needs.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Indeed. Who needs, roads, police, fire departments, ambulances, education, science research, a legal system etc...

Taxes do not vanish into a black hole. When they take your money, they do not piss (all of) it up the wall. It is spent on very useful things that you use and that society needs.

This may sound stupid what I'm about to say.. But if it's something society needs as a whole, why should it cost anything?

But when I go into that territory I go into my "why should anything cost anything" and "money is a manmade scheme" malarcky.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
This may sound stupid what I'm about to say.. But if it's something society needs as a whole, why should it cost anything?

But when I go into that territory I go into my "why should anything cost anything" and "money is a manmade scheme" malarcky.

Still costs money to research, get materials and manufacture it
Quote by Bearded_Seth

How can building a road not cost money? It involves paying for materials, paying for machines, paying the workers. Explain how you can do that with no money.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Because people have to construct things and, despite what the Tories think, people need paying for doing work.

And because a previous generation of conservatives privatised everything so now many things we need to survive are trying to make a profit. I think that's where a lot of taxpayer "waste" goes. All this bullshit about "market prices".
Quote by Bearded_Seth

The state could force people to do shit for free but that tends to upset them.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Kensai
Still costs money to research, get materials and manufacture it

Oh yeah, I understand that - but if it's something that benefits the whole society (like a road for example) we should band together as a society and make it happen. Not piss everyone off and take away their hard earned wages which seems like they're taking more and more as time progresses. Soon there will be no point in working because it would not be worth it.

If I was a rich man, lalalalalalala.

EDIT: The main reason I think this is because there was a time where there wasn't any money and people lived off the land. I'd like to go to back then.

Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: lolwut. how do you band together to make a road? this isn't a disney production.

I felt ridiculous just typing it
Last edited by Bearded_Seth at Jun 22, 2010,
i'd build a road for free. you'd get the shittiest road in existence, but it'd be free. actually it'd pretty much be the same as it was before there was a road there except i'd claim it was a road. if anyone complained i'd say it was worth what they'd paid for it.

EDIT: lolwut. how do you band together to make a road? this isn't a disney production.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Oh yeah, I understand that - but if it's something that benefits the whole society (like a road for example) we should band together as a society and make it happen. Not piss everyone off and take away their hard earned wages which seems like they're taking more and more as time progresses. Soon there will be no point in working because it would not be worth it.

That's completely deluded.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Bearded_Seth

That's what the Conservatives think too actually. But it doesn't work.

Would you help build a road for free? I'll tell you right away I'm out because I don't have the time away from working to spare.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd build a road for free. you'd get the shittiest road in existence, but it'd be free. actually it'd pretty much be the same as it was before there was a road there except i'd claim it was a road. if anyone complained i'd say it was worth what they'd paid for it.

*insert generic Irish stereotype joke*
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Well there is volunteer work but people need to work to get money to buy things. Unless you plan to make all of that completely free which you'd need to do alot of convincing for.

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ah come on I'm sure you're an excellent roadbuilder
hey just because the roads here (by here i mean down south in the republic) ook like they were built for free doesn't mean they weren't 85% funded by the EU.

EDIT: nah i'm fairly sure if i tried to build a road it'd be the worst road ever. me and manual work (actually more like work full stop) don't mix.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hey just because the roads here (by here i mean down south in the republic) ook like they were built for free doesn't mean they weren't 85% funded by the EU.

EDIT: nah i'm fairly sure if i tried to build a road it'd be the worst road ever. me and manual work (actually more like work full stop) don't mix.

Drive up the M11 link road. If I threw rocks at the people who run the Ministry of Transport for a week, they'd form a better road where they landed than that piece of shit.

Oscar Wilde
by just sitting there you're building a better road than i could build
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
once again, this proves that theres 2 things in life that we can all be sure about; taxes and death

but its a good excuse to get a new guitar now before the tax hike
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I've still yet to see any justification from the Tories for raping the shit out of the public sector when it was the instability of the global financial system that got us in this situation to begin with, not the civil servants/teachers/doctors/etc. I'm sure it'll be interesting.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by sg255
I've still yet to see any justification from the Tories for raping the shit out of the public sector when it was the instability of the global financial system that got us in this situation to begin with, not the civil servants/teachers/doctors/etc. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

The basic pay and bonuses of the CEOs of the FTSE 100 companies have gone up in the past year yet it's the "perks" (read: pensions) of the greedy public sector workers that cause the problems. Of course.

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 3