I played a gig for a few hundred people last weekend in a venue where the roof was cut out. Needless to say, I was not adequately prepared for the size of the venue. I was able to plug into a house PA speaker and use the one that I brought (if your wondering I play solo acoustic gigs) and made it work. At the end of the night, the bar owner said he would like to have me back, but I needed to work out the PA issues. So here's my scenario....I have a dual 300 watt powered mixer (bridges to 600). I use one for mains and one for monitors. Well I need to seriously power up, and I wanted to get a pair of 500 watt PA cabinets. I'm guessing I will need to add another power amp to the set up. Is this correct?
If they have a PA, it's their job to sort the PA issue out, not yours. They should have someone working it to get your sound decent - otherwise, they better be paying you a hell of a lot of money to think that you're going to correct the problem yourself.

If you need more than 300w for just guitar and vocals, then something is wrong.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If they have a PA, it's their job to sort the PA issue out, not yours. They should have someone working it to get your sound decent - otherwise, they better be paying you a hell of a lot of money to think that you're going to correct the problem yourself.

If you need more than 300w for just guitar and vocals, then something is wrong.

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I agree. They had a house P.A. but they were real particular about who uses it. They had somebody burn out an amp or something like a week before. Anyways, it was'nt loud enough, could'nt hear it in the back of the room over all the drunk college kids. I was thinking about bridging the dual 300 w powered mixer (up to 600w) and running a couple of 400-500w main PA speakers, then running a power amp from my output for the monitors. What do you think?
B.T.W: They are payin about $500-$600 for 3 and a half hours. I don't know about you, but thats the best payin solo gig I've ever gotten, and I want to do it again if I can
I picked up a used QSC1450 for $250 on CL. They are 400 watts/ch @ 4 ohms and can be bridged for mono @ 1400 watts.