Basically I'm crap anyway, after a LONG time of not really playing at all (oddly I can still remember how to sweep :S) but I've noticed that when I play acoustic I sound really, really, bad. The sounds are not clear and note/string changes are muffled, as for strumming...well I'm bad. I can so mindless runs at a decent speed on adjacent strings alright, skipping strings sounds bad and my chording is not so good.

Right so how do I fix it? playing songs? no whenever I try to follow a song it sounds bad, I think I'm not adding enough strength/technique needs practice. What exercises can I do to fix this?

I'm working at doing this up and down the neck, basically patterns like (numbers represent fingers)

1 2 4
1 3 4
1 2 3 4
1 3 2 4
1 4 2 3

from fret 1 to 12, inverse as well as normal and some basic trills.

I don't know how to fix it, I can't follow basic songs like "house of the rising sun" but I can play a lot of master of puppets and recently learnt welcome home by coheed, I can play some things that aren't total noobish but fail at some beginners things. I don't know what's wrong with me and it makes me want to give up...
Oh just play the thing man, you'll get better through time

If you suck now, you'll suck tomorrow, regardless of what happens in this thread. Keep learning songs, you clearly know what areas need improvement so I'm positive it's just a matter of time before you're a decent acoustic player. how much time depends on how much you practise
Quote by Sarissa
Basically I'm crap anyway, after a LONG time of not really playing at all (oddly I can still remember how to sweep :S) but I've noticed that when I play acoustic I sound really, really, bad. The sounds are not clear and note/string changes are muffled, as for strumming...well I'm bad. I can so mindless runs at a decent speed on adjacent strings alright, skipping strings sounds bad and my chording is not so good.

Right so how do I fix it? playing songs? no whenever I try to follow a song it sounds bad, I think I'm not adding enough strength/technique needs practice. What exercises can I do to fix this?

I'm working at doing this up and down the neck, basically patterns like (numbers represent fingers)

1 2 4
1 3 4
1 2 3 4
1 3 2 4
1 4 2 3

from fret 1 to 12, inverse as well as normal and some basic trills.

I don't know how to fix it, I can't follow basic songs like "house of the rising sun" but I can play a lot of master of puppets and recently learnt welcome home by coheed, I can play some things that aren't total noobish but fail at some beginners things. I don't know what's wrong with me and it makes me want to give up...

If you're mainly having problems with chords why are you working on single-note finger exercises? Practice the things you want to get better at.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^This.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by tim_mop
do you play mostly with gain on electric?

No, I play either acoustically or gain free for practice. I said crap not stupid

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're mainly having problems with chords why are you working on single-note finger exercises? Practice the things you want to get better at.

I don't know...because I don't know how to practice chording? do I just chord and strum? I can't think of any songs I'd like to play and I'm perfect on crap with the basic stuff like em, a etc etc

Honestly if I'm properly assessing my playing I would say I can play typical basic metal rhythm lines ok, I can sweep ok (weird how that's largely stayed after aaages, perhaps because I over practiced it) and play at a semi decent speed, it's just general tone on acoustic and the kind of songs made for acoustic. I think it's lack of practice more so than anyhing, I will fix it.

Anyway guys thanks, yes the solution was obvious but I think I just needed to vent my frustration for a bit. Ty