I'm trying to set up a Boss Gt-8 to play through my PC, however I don't hear anything. I've tried plugging it into my line-in and on my mic inputs on my PC. I'm using the stereo cables for the output, not MIDI. My friend was able to just plug and play on his computer, so what settings do I have to change to get it to work?
Quote by iampeter
change your output source to Line/Phones ? not sure sorry
I originally thought that'd do the trick when I realized it, but it yielded no results.

Update: Instead of using the two stereo cables I used a guitar-to-USB cable as the output of the GT-8. It didn't work, but when I tried recording in Audacity the audio waves showed fluctuations when I messed with the guitar's volume knob and the volume pedal on the GT8
My computer has an S/PDIF input, so I might try to hook up the GT8 using that. But if that works then there should be no reason the stereo out shouldn't
Have you tried running it directly to the PC speakers without the computer inbetween?
I don't believe you can monitor the spdif input. What OS? You should be able to monitor the line in with no problem.
Quote by jpnyc
Have you tried running it directly to the PC speakers without the computer inbetween?
There's no way to. It fits none of the jacks
The GT-8 will most likely sound like crap. PC speakers are a bit like Bass amp speakers in a sense; they're more "full range" but still not as full range as monitors. Turning off the cab sims, it'll obviously still sound like fizzy crap, but turning them on will make things sound a bit over-processed.

You need a decent pair of monitors really. You can get some for around $100 or so and it's worth it.
ohh i see
i did the same with a microcube and my computer

GT8 set on line out/phones > into Line In port on computer > Computer needs to be set that Line in is not muted > speakers connected to speaker port should not be muted.

if audacity sees a signal, must be OK, maybe the line in port is muted.

Start menu > Settings > Control Panel > Sound for adjustments

you could get a converter for the Speakers so they can connect direct to the GT-8

a 1/8 to 1/4 converter i think
Last edited by iampeter at Jun 22, 2010,
To be honest I just want to get it working with this default setup like my friend, mainly so I can experiment with recording (which I wouldn't necessarily need the best speakers to do)
I have two line-in's, got the speakers hooked into one and the GT8 into the other. The port that the GT8 is in is not muted or anything
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

You need a decent pair of monitors really. You can get some for around $100 or so and it's worth it.

powered monitors? where? ^^ saw a power amp 40w and a speaker from radio shack brand thats like $90 + $60/70. it looked big for a speaker :P

Quote by TJM2482

I have two line-in's, got the speakers hooked into one and the GT8 into the other. The port that the GT8 is in is not muted or anything

that might be the problem, line in is for sound coming in.

Speakers should be on speaker port or a line Out. i think the computer doesn't care as long as they arn't muted tho and you have the computer set that audio is coming in on one and another is outputting

i can't see your computer from over the internet so it makes this pretty hard tho

but its a sound Out issue again if Audacity sees a signal from GT8 (if its a strong responsive signal anyways)

keep poking around, bound to get it eventually i think (assuming you have a contemporary computer not something from 10years ago)
Did you actually get a decent sound card for this or are you just plugging into the onboard PC of shit on a mass-market PC?
Quote by jpnyc
Did you actually get a decent sound card for this or are you just plugging into the onboard PC of shit on a mass-market PC?
I built my PC, using the on-board audio jacks from the motherboard. Same thing for my friend, except he was probably using a "shit mass-market PC". Would SPDIF work or should I look into getting a sound card with MIDI?
The SPDIF jack on that card is not an input. You need to put the driver CD in, open the PDF manual, and see what it says about using the microphone jack as an input. After you do the reading you need to connect the headphone out on the GT-8 to your sound card’s input; you’ll probably have to buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and a 3.5" male/male cable to do so. And then you need to go find a new male role model who should have taught you how to do this stuff when you were five.
Quote by jpnyc
The SPDIF jack on that card is not an input. You need to put the driver CD in, open the PDF manual, and see what it says about using the microphone jack as an input. After you do the reading you need to connect the headphone out on the GT-8 to your sound card’s input; you’ll probably have to buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and a 3.5" male/male cable to do so. And then you need to go find a new male role model who should have taught you how to do this stuff when you were five.
I'll remember to teach my child the ins and outs of properly setting up a Boss GT-8 to run through a PC
I don't believe you can monitor SPDIF and you still would need to use the line in for monitoring, but you could record the SPDIF. IIRC when I used the card with my GT-8 it was a trick to get the driver setting correct. If you can't get line in to work there is very little chance you would get SPDIF to work.

Also MIDI does not carry any audio signals. It's good for using the computer software preset editor on the GT-8, but not for audio.
If you use a guitar to USB interface, you will need ASIO drivers for it and use it with a DAW. This is the way I can use my IK stealthplug.
If you want to use GT-8's SPDIF output, your sound card need an SPDIF input as well as ASIO support for real time monitoring. If I remember correctly, you have to enable digital out in the options on the boss. I did this with my audigy and it worked.
The simplest is to run GT-8's regular output into sound card line-in via a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. Your sound card ought to have a switch in either the windows control panel or the driver panel for direct input to output, or ASIO support, otherwise forget about real time monitoring.
I'm using the regular stereo output (the one that's split into two lines, left and right), and it connects into the onboard sound on my PC. My buddy did literally the same thing, with much older hardware and probably an older operating system and was able to instantly hear himself playing through the speakers. I've tried both the line-in and the mic-in inputs, even tried some of the other plugs out of desperation. Not sure why it'd be so easy for him...
Are you selecting the proper input (mic or line in) on the recording mixer in windows? Is the same input unmuted on the playback mixer?
Quote by KingStill
Are you selecting the proper input (mic or line in) on the recording mixer in windows? Is the same input unmuted on the playback mixer?
yeah checked everything multiple times/multiple ways. However Audacity at one point recognized fluctuations in the audio saves, but didn't have any actual sound