Hey,

I was thinking of getting a lexicon alpha audio interface but wasn't sure if it would work on a laptop that doesn't have USB 2.0. I'm pretty sure my laptop only has USB 1.0.

Any ideas if it is likely to work with usb 1.0? Can't find any information on this.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
I'm pretty sure every interface you are going to find(if any) is very outdated. Not worth it, USB 1.0 is also very old, which probably means your laptop is very old too. You don't want that with recording/mixing
Yes, it will work. Any USB 2.0 and 1.1 device can be hooked up to a 1.0 device. It's just that it'll all operate at 1.0 speed. Which brings us to the main problem: Anything lower than 2.0 is considered pretty slow for recording. If you want to record several tracks simultaneously or maybe even only one track in high quality, you're screwed.

I wouldn't buy a 1.0 interface new. Plenty of interfaces that were 300€ or so new a couple of years ago can be found for under 100€ on ebay by now. The loss in value is nearly as bad as with computers with USB interfaces it seems.

Does your laptop have firewire? If so, better get a firewire interface, loads faster.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yes, it will work. Any USB 2.0 and 1.1 device can be hooked up to a 1.0 device. It's just that it'll all operate at 1.0 speed. Which brings us to the main problem: Anything lower than 2.0 is considered pretty slow for recording. If you want to record several tracks simultaneously or maybe even only one track in high quality, you're screwed.

I wouldn't buy a 1.0 interface new. Plenty of interfaces that were 300€ or so new a couple of years ago can be found for under 100€ on ebay by now. The loss in value is nearly as bad as with computers with USB interfaces it seems.

Does your laptop have firewire? If so, better get a firewire interface, loads faster.

This is everything I was going to say
Quote by TheQuailman

I don't think a laptop that only has USB 1.0 has firewire

Threadstarter, USB 1.0 is fcking 10 years old. Are you shure you only have USB 1.0?
OK, turns out I do have usb 2.0. How feasible is it to record with my laptop (512mb ram 2.6ghz) and the lexicon alpha interface?

I wont be recording multiple tracks I don't think. Is two track simultaneous recording out of the question? Is latency likely to be a big issue?

Thanks in advance
512mb... Yowch... Good luck with that.

For recording I'd recommend at least 2gb ram, and I used to barely get by on that. 4gb is much more comfortable. Having a dual core makes things more fun as well.

I hate waiting forever to load a plugin.
^+1

512 really isn't much for recording and working with sequencers and stuff. My drum sampler alone eats 300mb.

The Lexicon still only has 1.1, so even if your laptop has 2.0 the speed is still limited. Recording two tracks with it at once will not only be difficult because 1.1 is so slow, but also because the Alpha only has one mic-input. It's got an additional line-in though, so you can hook up an external mic-preamp to it if you want to record with two microphones simultaneously.
The Emu 0202 USB has 2.0 by the way and looks pretty similar feature-wise. Costs about the same. There's also the Emu 0404 USB, which has two inputs for mics, but it's a bit dearer.

But the Alpha should be fine if what you do mostly is single track stuff.