hey guys,
just got a macbook pro loaded with logic express, and i want to get an external interface now to record with. ive heard that firewire is faster, but ive also read of some problems with the 2010 macbooks heating up with firewire interfaces. i would prefer to not damage my computer, but i'm not sure how big of a problem it really is.

are the differences really that great between firewire and usb? usb is a bit cheaper and i'm not going for the ultimate professional rig. also can you please reccommend some units for a budget of $200?

Thanks!
Ryan
Gear:
Fender MIM Strat SD Hot Rails in bridge
SX Thinline Tele
GFS Tuner Pedal
GGG Clean Boost
Barber Dirty Bomb
Boss GE-7
Ibanez SC-10 Chorus
Peavey Classic 30
how many inputs are you looking for in an interface? if it's only 2, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going USB. they're plenty fast enough. if you get up to 8, you'll probably be better off with firewire.
^ thats pretty much my thoughts on this as well. USB is fine for 2 tracks or less. start hitting 4 or more tracks, i would almost say firewire is a must.

i do prefer firewire, ive noticed that i have less issues with my firewire interface than i did with my old usb interface. another thing is that higher end interfaces are almost all firewire, so you start having to get firewire when you start stepping up.

but for $200 or so, USB is fine and you shouldnt have any issues. actually, i would suggest just buying this today. on sale for a decent price drop. as long as factory restock doesnt bother you (it doesnt bother me), then that is a damn nice deal.
i really only need 2 inputs as i'll be recording in my dorm, just guitar from my tonelab le and probably a vocal mic, most likely 1 at a time. i think i'm leaning towards usb, but i want to make sure i'm getting what i need, and spend some time looking at different units before buying. i saw a tc electronics interface with a bunch of controls on it that looked decent, but i've also seen a lot of good things about m-audio
Gear:
Fender MIM Strat SD Hot Rails in bridge
SX Thinline Tele
GFS Tuner Pedal
GGG Clean Boost
Barber Dirty Bomb
Boss GE-7
Ibanez SC-10 Chorus
Peavey Classic 30